Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do not try it at home - owner charging his Model S at 60kW in Siberia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unreal.

However, the shame of it all . . .
How do you talk a truck driver into towing a Model S anyway?

The trucker is most likely just a driver for hire, not an owner-operator, so he would not be concerned that his engine having an additional constant load corresponding to 80hp+, along with likely serious hit to mpg's. The guy most likely was bored out of his wits and just glad for the diversion..

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how they negotiated any stopping manuever? That's not a tow bar, it's a tow rope. If that truck has to stop short, and the driver doesn't pay close attention (like, I don't know, when he's shooting a video??).. it's going to get ugly real quick for the Model S.

I agree that not using tow bars is bad, but not as bad as in case of an ICE car. After all this Model S is in full regen, which is according to my calculation is equivalent to approximately quarter of full brake application on Model S (based on stopping distance of 108ft from 60mph)

Last edited:
I wonder how they negotiated any stopping manuever? That's not a tow bar, it's a tow rope. If that truck has to stop short, and the driver doesn't pay close attention (like, I don't know, when he's shooting a video??).. it's going to get ugly real quick for the Model S...

I suppose new smart cruise control might be able to get set up for auto-stop in the case the distance started shrinking. But out of the box, probably not designed to allow "tailgating" at distances like that so would probably need a special "I am being dangerously towed mode!"

A couple of years ago I went to a film shoot that I expected to have a tow plant (big generator). Just my luck, no tow plant. I charged my roadster off a small generator to the tune of 6 MPH. It was not nearly enough to get back to a J charger. So I hooked up to my shop truck with a 2" ratchet strap and hit the road. My driver was to pull me for about 10 min but forgot he was towing me. Even horn and lights could not get his attention. I was finally forced to lay on the brakes. That got his attention. I got 40kw (max regen in a roadster) for about 15 min. That gave me enough range to get to the next town's J charger. We were even passed by 2 police cars during the tow. No more wear and tear than going down a mountain.

I've wondered for a while if this would work. I know it's "against the rules" (i.e. no wheels-down towing allowed) but it does seem like a really useful trick if you run out of juice - you get someone to tow you half way to where you need to reach, and then drive the other half!

Love it! From the car's point of view, it really should be no different than driving down a steep mountain, although I imagine they didn't test it for 100's of km at a time, so I can see how they wouldn't recommend it. On the other hand, I just love the fact that you can run out of "gas", get towed to the next "gas" station, and by the time you get there, you're not at empty any more :)

So, all we need is for autopilot to include a feature that enables "in-air charging" via participating semi trucks. You hit the "in-air charge" button and the car locates a participating trucker and then deploys a pole (think "snake charger" tech) from the frunk that magnetically attaches to the bumper of a semi truck. You then pay the driver $10 for his added fuel costs through the "Charge Me" app.

Why do I not work for Tesla? Oh wait... now I know.

I wonder if this hurts the motor and inverter. I remember some owners faulting regen to inverter failures early on.

Seems hard to imagine how this would hurt anything. It's not much different than driving down a very big hill.

If the drivetrain or battery are getting too warm the system will limit the amount of regen available just like it would if you were driving hard or had a full battery. The dotted line will appear in the dash, and the towing vehicle will find it easier and easier to pull the Model S.

Interesting to watch, but I'd never do it. What happens when the truck driver has to suddenly stop? Ooooops.

remember, regen at 60kph is strong braking already... what happens if you were towing an anchor and suddenly stopped? The anchor stops too.., or at least already has a good head start on "pressing the brakes" for you.

Other questions... what did the S tie to on both sides for the tow?

And if the regulation is wheels up towing, putting a dolly under the front end of S (non D) and dragging the rear on the ground would still charge up, no? Air suspension people might would need jack mode to keep from freaking out, or would that disable itself as soon as Drive is selected.

remember, regen at 60kph is strong braking already... what happens if you were towing an anchor and suddenly stopped? The anchor stops too.., or at least already has a good head start on "pressing the brakes" for you.

But the car is already at max regen.. It would only take the truck slowing down slightly faster than the regen is dragging on the truck. I dont think it would have to be much to cause a collision. An anchor being towed at 60mph still has a lot of momentum to overcome the friction.