Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Not Understand Tesla Rationale for Why There is No Sirius/XM in Model 3 or Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After further consideration, my wife and I want a music and radio/news solution that is integrated with the MY media system to be able to operate things through the steering wheel button or touch screen. To that effect we will: 1) drop one of our xm subscriptions 2) drop apple music and switch to spotify premium 3) subscribe to tune in premium (hate the massive number of commercials you have to endure when switching channels on free tune in).

Of course we will have to always have premium connectivity and pay for it after first year.

Owning a Tesla seems like going to an expensive restaurant where everything is ala cart.
you know they make this right Amazon.com: SIRIUSXM SXWB1V1 SiriusXM Tour Dock & Play Radio with 360L, PowerConnect Vehicle Dock, and Bluetooth : Electronics

For those of you using Echo Auto, where do you keep it in the car? Just closed in the center console? I feel like it's an eyesore that wouldn't be worth the "hands free" experience if it's not hidden away. Assuming that's the case, any issues with it hearing you?

For those of you using Echo Auto, where do you keep it in the car? Just closed in the center console? I feel like it's an eyesore that wouldn't be worth the "hands free" experience if it's not hidden away. Assuming that's the case, any issues with it hearing you?
Some users keep the Echo Auto inside the arm rest compartment, in the upper tray. This may work for you, i.e. the Echo Auto unit will pick up your voice issuing Alexa commands from inside the arm rest even over music and road noise.

I have found that the Echo Auto works best if it is not inside a center console compartment. I have my Echo Auto on top of the center console on the driver's side just behind where the cup holders are located. The arm rest overhangs the center console by about the same dimension as the width of the Echo Auto unit. The power cord for the Echo Auto can be run inside the arm rest at the front edge of the arm rest compartment and then to the 12V power accessory port in the lower compartment of the center console.

In this location the Echo Auto is not visible and not in the way, i.e. I can use the Tesla key card when needed by placing the key card on the console without any issue. Some users who choose to keep the Echo Auto unit in the upper tray of the arm rest compartment have drilled a hole in the tray for the 12V power connector to pass through. If you place the Echo Auto unit on top of the console and run the 12V power lead down into the lower arm rest compartment you don't have to modify the tray. In my installation the Echo Auto pretty much remains in place held by the 12V lead but it can move around. The back of the Echo Auto unit has four small rubber feet so it should not scratch the console (I have the original console with the piano black finish so any scatches would show.) It would be easy to use a small velcro mount attached to the arm rest and the back side of the Echo Auto if you don't mind sticking the velcro piece to center console close to the arm rest.

Some users keep the Echo Auto inside the arm rest compartment, in the upper tray. This may work for you, i.e. the Echo Auto unit will pick up your voice issuing Alexa commands from inside the arm rest even over music and road noise.

I have found that the Echo Auto works best if it is not inside a center console compartment. I have my Echo Auto on top of the center console on the driver's side just behind where the cup holders are located. The arm rest overhangs the center console by about the same dimension as the width of the Echo Auto unit. The power cord for the Echo Auto can be run inside the arm rest at the front edge of the arm rest compartment and then to the 12V power accessory port in the lower compartment of the center console.

In this location the Echo Auto is not visible and not in the way, i.e. I can use the Tesla key card when needed by placing the key card on the console without any issue. Some users who choose to keep the Echo Auto unit in the upper tray of the arm rest compartment have drilled a hole in the tray for the 12V power connector to pass through. If you place the Echo Auto unit on top of the console and run the 12V power lead down into the lower arm rest compartment you don't have to modify the tray. In my installation the Echo Auto pretty much remains in place held by the 12V lead but it can move around. The back of the Echo Auto unit has four small rubber feet so it should not scratch the console (I have the original console with the piano black finish so any scatches would show.) It would be easy to use a small velcro mount attached to the arm rest and the back side of the Echo Auto if you don't mind sticking the velcro piece to center console close to the arm rest.
Thanks for such a quick and detailed response. I'm taking delivery in the next couple weeks and that's a piece that has been bugging me. Will have to try your approach.

Thanks for such a quick and detailed response. I'm taking delivery in the next couple weeks and that's a piece that has been bugging me. Will have to try your approach.
If you have the Echo Auto unit you can set up the Alexa app/Alexa Auto settings and the BT connectivity for the Echo Auto unit using your existing vehicle or any 12V power source. When your Model Y arrives all that you would need to do is transplant the Echo Auto unit into the Tesla and connect your phone for BT audio streaming to the Tesla.

I know this isn’t a big deal for some, but it is for me. On every Acura, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi I have owned since 2008, they all have Sirius/XM radio. When I travel and rent cars, they all have Sirius XM. So why this is excluded from the Model 3 and Y is beyond me. I’ve read about all the different ways to use your phone or install a cheap XM receiver but quite frankly it’s a lot of brain damage. Does anyone know the real reason Tesla puts XM radio receiver in Model S/X but not 3/Y ?

I am considering a Y to replace an Audi SQ5, and the interior quality of the Y is a bit of a turn off. The size of the etron is too big and the range of the etron and etron 4 are a turn off. I’ll probably bite the bullet and buy the Y, but it would make some of the interior quality and fit and finish issues of the Y more palatable if I could have Sirius XM.
Probably costs too much to license the right to have it in the car. Just stream from the phone.

Reactions: MrJeep997
I know this isn’t a big deal for some, but it is for me. On every Acura, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi I have owned since 2008, they all have Sirius/XM radio. When I travel and rent cars, they all have Sirius XM. So why this is excluded from the Model 3 and Y is beyond me. I’ve read about all the different ways to use your phone or install a cheap XM receiver but quite frankly it’s a lot of brain damage. Does anyone know the real reason Tesla puts XM radio receiver in Model S/X but not 3/Y ?

I am considering a Y to replace an Audi SQ5, and the interior quality of the Y is a bit of a turn off. The size of the etron is too big and the range of the etron and etron 4 are a turn off. I’ll probably bite the bullet and buy the Y, but it would make some of the interior quality and fit and finish issues of the Y more palatable if I could have Sirius XM.
This is a big deal for me. Streaming is not available in many parts of the area where I live and so I am unable to listen to live news, music, sports, etc. for much of the time. I don't want to install an external receiver because it's a hassle and it's not 2006. Had I understood this before purchasing my Y I may not have pulled the trigger. Satellite was integrated in my Kia and Audi so seems like a no brainer for Tesla. I find it hard to believe that including really lowers the cost of the Y and 3 significantly.

I have my Echo Auto inside a Jeda hub where the SSD is supposed to go. It works perfectly 100% of the time. YMMV, of course. Just wanted to put that out there.

Reactions: jcanoe
Well, I guess to add to some of the already existing comments.

I think Sirius/XM is old school. If we argue about what is nice because we have had it for x # of years I think we would still have only AM radios and trying to "dial in" using a potentiometer to find the station. We have evolved past that, Sirius/XM satellite included.

I think Sirus/XM should work with Tesla to have an app and stream using the cell on the car or just allow your phone/tablet to stream it via bluetooth or USB tether.

If I truly wanted satellite service for whatever reason, I would want my Model Y or Model 3 to have Starlink satellite service for internet and a Sirius/XM app integrated. Skip the "old school" satellite. I believe however, that the Starlink would not be as good as cellular due to current "line of sight" issues. That is unless Starlink improves the 5G to make the line of sight problem less noticeable.

My situation is that technically, streaming SXM through my phone in my will work fine in my Y (or my upcoming M3); however, I’m concerned about the UI - losing the steering wheel controls for skipping through my presets will be a bummer, apparently the iOS SXM app can’t be automated using Shortcuts and I don’t like voice commands much anyway, which makes Alexa Auto problematic as well, I don’t want to install a separate radio…

But, I really, really like SXM, especially Underground Garage, Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, Bluesville, Volume, Beatles, etc. These channels will be tough to replace, especially Underground Garage. So I’ll likely start muddling along streaming from my phone and hope Tesla stops its user-belligerent practices that deny us choices just like legacy automakers in the bad old days. Hopefully more competition over the next few years will either get Tesla to open up a bit, or provide us with mature non-Tesla options. I like the MY (else I wouldn’t have ordered an M3 as well) but I wish Tesla would pull its head out and offer choices like an SXM streaming app and CarPlay integration.

To me, the big problem of not have SiriusXM in my Y is that I only get streaming/cell phone service about half the time here in the Catskills where I live and work. So half the time I have no music. That sucks! Alexa, iPhone, etc. work arounds won't get me reception. This is not a cost issue, all Tesla had to do was to install a phone plug and I'ld be good to go. This, together with the poor range in cold weather will have me selling the Y and getting a better electric car. Too bad, as everything else is great about the car, imho.

Reactions: PagodaY