Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Not Understand Tesla Rationale for Why There is No Sirius/XM in Model 3 or Y

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
To me, the big problem of not have SiriusXM in my Y is that I only get streaming/cell phone service about half the time here in the Catskills where I live and work. So half the time I have no music. That sucks! Alexa, iPhone, etc. work arounds won't get me reception. This is not a cost issue, all Tesla had to do was to install a phone plug and I'ld be good to go. This, together with the poor range in cold weather will have me selling the Y and getting a better electric car. Too bad, as everything else is great about the car, imho.
You can place a SiriusXM receiver in the Tesla Model Y that uses FM or BT audio streaming to send SXM programming to the Tesla's audio system.

PagodaY

Dec 23, 2019
Hudson Valley, NY
To me, the big problem of not have SiriusXM in my Y is that I only get streaming/cell phone service about half the time here in the Catskills where I live and work. So half the time I have no music. That sucks! Alexa, iPhone, etc. work arounds won't get me reception. This is not a cost issue, all Tesla had to do was to install a phone plug and I'ld be good to go. This, together with the poor range in cold weather will have me selling the Y and getting a better electric car. Too bad, as everything else is great about the car, imho.
I second this! Cell is fine, when it works. I too travel to many places that do not have cell and have to "suffer" in silence.

Reactions: bluesfanatic

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
I prefer spotify. You can instantly listen to any artist and no commercials or DJs. Sirius XM needs to Siriusly GTFO. JK. But seriously, try spotify.
You can't stream, listen to any of the following services when there is no cellular phone signal: Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, SiriusXM (via the phone app or Alexa app) Pandora, TuneIn, etc. You may be able to receive the Sirius/XM satellite signal in locations where cell coverage is unreliable or unavailable. This requires a SiriusXM receiver in the Tesla vehicle and a small magnetic mount SiriusXM antenna placed on the outside of the vehicle and of course a SiriusXM account.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Didn't know that.
Are you able to pick an artist or song and stream that specific song?
I'm not sure. The On Demand feature is intended for listening to SiriusXM content when internet or satellite reception is unavailable as on an airplane.

Bottom line, do you have any idea how fanatical some Howard Stern fans are about being able to tune into Howard's SiriusXM channel?

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
So I guess Spotify is better in that part where you can just pick an artist or song and play right away.
Any of the internet based streaming services (Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal) will let you pick an artist, album or song. Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio, later merged to become SiriusXM. Originally Sirius and XM would program content (Music, News, Sports) organize these into different channels. SiriusXM programs the content based on the decade, artist or musical genre. SiriusXM now has the ability to create customized listening programming based on your preferences, so it is more likely to play artists and music you enjoy. (I never liked SiriusXM satellite radio enough to be willing to pay for the service. I always terminated my subscription after the trial membership period ended. SiriusXM always finds a way to play America, A Horse With No Name, on any SiriusXM channel I might enjoy. This makes me crazy the way the Carz4Kids radio commercial drives me to change the station.

mycroftxxx

Jun 14, 2020
Left Coast
Any of the internet based streaming services (Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal) will let you pick an artist, album or song. Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio, later merged to become SiriusXM. Originally Sirius and XM would program content (Music, News, Sports) organize these into different channels. SiriusXM programs the content based on the decade, artist or musical genre. SiriusXM now has the ability to create customized listening programming based on your preferences, so it is more likely to play artists and music you enjoy. (I never liked SiriusXM satellite radio enough to be willing to pay for the service. I always terminated my subscription after the trial membership period ended. SiriusXM always finds a way to play America, A Horse With No Name, on any SiriusXM channel I might enjoy. This makes me crazy the way the Carz4Kids radio commercial drives me to change the station.
This is a very superficial and not very accurate description of SXM. There are lots of different channels, organized in lots of different ways (not just “decade, artist, or musical genre”), which provides lots of variety. You may prefer to pick “an artist, album, or song”, and sometimes I do too, but other times I want to listen to a wide variety of different songs, some of which I may never have heard before or not be familiar with the artist. Sometimes I enjoy the value and dare I say showmanship that the knowledgeable DJs bring to the songs, especially on channels like Underground Garage. SXM may not be your cup of tea, but they apparently are doing something right for many others, including me and others who have posted in this thread, and Tesla’s refusal (so far) to provide a first-party solution for listening to SXM in the M3/Y is a significant negative for some.

And I can guarantee you that the Underground Garage has never played “A Horse With No Name.” :cool:

srlawren

Aug 3, 2020
Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
Now that sucks: Model S 2021+ got SiriusXM app on the last update, but 3/Y not? I don't get it.

@alekaras that one is easy to clarify: the Model S has the hardware to receive and process SiriusXM signals, where 3/Y does not. Previous S/X had the feature already, and 2021 had the hardware but was temporarily lacking the software side.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC