Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Not Understand Tesla Rationale for Why There is No Sirius/XM in Model 3 or Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent an email to my SA today asking if the Sirius XM radios that are being installed in the Model S can be installed in my Model Y that is due in July. His reply was no!
I find it hard to understand the Tesla position?
Perhaps those that are streaming Sirius XM from their IPhone can enlighten me is on an incoming call does the call display on the screen and can you answer it by pressing a button?
Also how difficult is it to change channels on the Sirius XM streaming while driving?
I have an Alexa echo in the house so do I need another one when my Y arrives?

Also how difficult is it to change channels on the Sirius XM streaming while driving?
I have an Alexa echo in the house so do I need another one when my Y arrives?
If you use the Amazon Alexa phone app, get the Amazon Echo Auto accessory *. Echo Auto makes using the Alexa phone app a fully hands free UI. For SiriusXM you would first add the SiriusXM Alexa skill to your Alexa account (using your SiriusXM credentials.) Then when you have your phone connected via BT in the Tesla you can use the voice commands. "Alexa, play channel 105 on SiriusXM" or "Alexa, play Yacht Rock on SiriusXM". The Alexa audio playback functions are basic: play; pause; stop.

* The Echo Auto accessory frequently goes on sale on Amazon; don't pay full price for the Echo Auto.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JonB65
I sent an email to my SA today asking if the Sirius XM radios that are being installed in the Model S can be installed in my Model Y that is due in July. His reply was no!
I find it hard to understand the Tesla position?
The services are not offered by technicians that install software or hardware. Options and services are offered through contracts, databases, CRMs, warranties, lawyers ready to defend the company, business minds that are trying to balance the features vs. cost etc.
Would you feel better if you got a response from some VP of design that would say that statistically speaking, satisfying your request is a money loosing proposition?

I’m the OP. My ultimate solution was to get premium subscriptions to Spotify and TuneIn. The combination gets us much of what we used in XM. Having the music and radio integrated with Tesla mmi was important, with ability to use steering wheel volume and skip forward/backward features. We occasionally like to hear djs, and we like to be able to listen to NFL and MLB games on roadtrips, so TuneIn meets that need. And Spotify is great and beats pants off the Streaming service Tesla provides (used to be known as Slacker?). So do I miss XM? Oh maybe a little. But not that much.

If you use the Amazon Alexa phone app, get the Amazon Echo Auto accessory *. Echo Auto makes using the Alexa phone app a fully hands free UI. For SiriusXM you would first add the SiriusXM Alexa skill to your Alexa account (using your SiriusXM credentials.) Then when you have your phone connected via BT in the Tesla you can use the voice commands. "Alexa, play channel 105 on SiriusXM" or "Alexa, play Yacht Rock on SiriusXM". The Alexa audio playback functions are basic: play; pause; stop.

* The Echo Auto accessory frequently goes on sale on Amazon; don't pay full price for the Echo Auto.
Thank you. I have time to order since my EDD is July 2022

The reason XM is not on Teslas is because they did not come to an agreement to have XM with the vehicles. It has nothing to do with "installs". It has to do with business contracts between Tesla and XM. I had XM radio for almost ten years, and now I don't with Tesla.

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
The reason XM is not on Teslas is because they did not come to an agreement to have XM with the vehicles. It has nothing to do with "installs". It has to do with business contracts between Tesla and XM. I had XM radio for almost ten years, and now I don't with Tesla.
The S and the X both have the equipment so it comes down to more than just Tesla and XM just not working together. Perhaps Tesla was seeking to have XM subsidize the cost of the radio and that was the rub. At any rate, all things remaining the same, XM has an incentive to maximize the count of equipped cars and potential customers there are on the roads.
What’s annoying to me is that we don’t really need any hardware just an app. I work from home and have a streaming only XM account which I use to stream to various smart devices. How many people out there are spending hours in their cars playing Sonic the Hedge hog or streaming Twitch videos? I wish they would spend some coding time to give us something we would actually use instead of the bloatware. I guess the lack of an app is a negative effect of having your own proprietary operating system. Someone has to create the app and maintain it for every platform in which it is released. I guess someone has done a business case that says the additional cost doesn’t hurdle.

Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I use to pay for app streaming via phone, but I got a better deal on Spotify with 2 streams and the same price. If you’ve ever tried to cancel SiriusXM? - - its like calling a DSL or Cable company. I think they took me from $14.99 down to $7.99 then down to $2.99. No, no no finally cancel.
Spotify has a lot of playlists in the same flavor of many we listened to.

Reactions: kc1953
I use to pay for app streaming via phone, but I got a better deal on Spotify with 2 streams and the same price. If you’ve ever tried to cancel SiriusXM? - - its like calling a DSL or Cable company. I think they took me from $14.99 down to $7.99 then down to $2.99. No, no no finally cancel.
Spotify has a lot of playlists in the same flavor of many we listened to.
I listen to the sports channels that are exclusive to XM about 90% of the time. Yeah, if it was just music I woulda canceled them when I bought the MY.

I listen to the sports channels that are exclusive to XM about 90% of the time. Yeah, if it was just music I woulda canceled them when I bought the MY.
Check premium version of TuneIn. They have exclusive channels for most NFL and MLB. They also have most cable channels like espn, cnn, etc. As I have stated in prior posts, I’ve found the premium subscriptions to Spotify and Tune In to scratch much of the XM itch.

Much more of a college sports fan than pro. ESPNu radio is the only national college sports channel I've found. Even though it uses the ESPN banner it's not produced by Disney it's XM original content and only on their service.

TuneIn is kind of useless for me, I don't really listen to radio and if I do, it's local. So I have a Premium Spotify account (which comes with Hulu for 'free') and streaming-only XM. So my monthly cost is $12.75 for the Sirius Streaming Platinum (which has all the good music channels plus all the sports) and $10.65 per month for Premium Spotify with Hulu. That gives me everything I need. It's actually less than I used to pay with my old car which had a SiriusXM receiver. It was about $25 per month then (and I still had Spotify). So I'm actually saving about $13 per month.

• Informative
About the only things I listened to on Sirius were about 4 music stations & NFL network. I was ready to not renew my subscription in late 2020 until they made me the proverbial offer I couldn't refuse. I find that I actually prefer the corresponding Slacker music stations. I even stream the few FM stations I listened to in my BMW as I frequently drive through dead spots for the terrestrial radio stations.

TL;DR, For my use, Premium Connectivity offers more value than Sirius. YMMV, of course.

Just to chime in, the only reason I want XM in my MY is the alternative method of delivery, ie satellite reception. Cell coverage is not universal, and not consistent outside of major metropolitan areas. XM is not perfect, but it's a good addition to the delivery methods, just like FM is.

We can all argue about the respective services, it's personal preference and I can get used to pretty much anything, but if the music stops and the little connection wheel just spins and spins, it doesn't matter what service you're using, you're not hearing anything! Also, I've found that once I lose cell service, the music streaming does not resume once cell service resumes, you have to hit the "next" button to get the music flowing again. (That might be an issue with my vehicle, does anyone else experience this?)

And, a little off topic, but voice control does not work when you have poor to non-existent cell service. That to me is a major problem. It should be locally processed.

And, a little off topic, but voice control does not work when you have poor to non-existent cell service. That to me is a major problem. It should be locally processed.
I've seen it noted in a couple of places that the voice commands aren't processed in the car and require cellular connectivity, which blows my mind. Don't understand that at all.

For me XM is old tech. Streaming is better. I got it on my last three cars and in all of them they lost signal when driving in cities. Even in DC that does not have tall buildings. Definitely ruined my experience. Never bought it after the trial period because of this.

For me XM is old tech. Streaming is better. I got it on my last three cars and in all of them they lost signal when driving in cities. Even in DC that does not have tall buildings. Definitely ruined my experience. Never bought it after the trial period because of this.
Here on the East coast XM reception is very spotty. Even leaves on trees blocks it; in my neighborhood and my drive to work most areas have good reception in Winter but lots of cut outs in Summer due to the leaves. XM tech support told me that’s just how it is, due to satellite location reception is worse on the East coast than further West. I don’t miss XM at all, cancelled it on all my vehicles, home and business before I bought the Y. The music stations were repetitive and their college sports discussion channels took a serious dive in quality of content 2 to 3 years ago.

I’m quite happy with Spotify.