Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do not use automatic car wash!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I attended the grand opening of the Tesla store in Jacksonville, Florida and there was an owners' reception. I was chatting with a guy and he said a car wash's spinning brush yanked off the T emblem (the one between the front wheel and front door) and he was told it was not covered by warranty.
Curious, I went to the showroom's car and could clearly feel a substantial gap between the trailing edge corner and the car's body and it is obvious a piece of a spinning brush can catch under it and catapult it from the car!
I guess you could use clear high quality caulk and seal around that edge so nothing would catch under it if you insist on using an automatic car wash.

I cringe at the thought of a Tesla going through a car wash. It's horrible for the paint. You should hand wash it either with a water based wash or waterless such as Optimum No Rinse. There are plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating proper technique.

From page 118 of the owner's manual:
Caution: If washing in an automatic car
wash, use Touchless car washes only.
These car washes have no parts (brushes,
etc.) that touch the surfaces of Model S.
Using any other type of car wash could
cause damage that is not covered by the
warranty.

I use automatic car washes, I don't care.

Rebel you

I have a cool one near me, 9 dollars a month for unlimited washes
I had a pass with my dodge ram, it was swirl free.
and I am tempted but i have used the Optimum No Rinse, and have to admit its a pretty cool product with amazing results
Im also worried about fn up my rims with those tire bars they use to make your car align correctly

I use automatic car washes, I don't care.

Yes! Me too. I also don't have my car encrusted in aftermarket coatings and wraps that cost a significant percentage of the purchase price. It's a car. It gets driven on the road. It's going to get dirty, scratched, and dinged and eventually depreciate to zero (hopefully not for quite some time). I admit I did feel bad when it got the first tiny dent, though.

But people who enjoy hand-washing their car should by all means, carry on.

Rebel you

I have a cool one near me, 9 dollars a month for unlimited washes
I had a pass with my dodge ram, it was swirl free.
and I am tempted but i have used the Optimum No Rinse, and have to admit its a pretty cool product with amazing results
Im also worried about fn up my rims with those tire bars they use to make your car align correctly

$9/month? I pay $9/wash!

And with 19" rims, I clear those bars. If I had 21s, I wouldn't try it.

I just took my 21" summer wheels off and put on the 19" winter tires. I have an unlimited car wash package (limited to once per day) right next to work. Needless to say, I take my car through that at least 2-3 times per week. It works just fine with both 21" and 19" wheels. My car is white so its virtually impossible to notice any swirls on the paint. Now, my car is a lease, so I'm not as emotionally attached to it as someone who is financially stretching to buy their dream car and drive it for the next 10 years. But that being said, while I used to hand wash all my cars in the past weekly, my lifestyle no longer permits that luxury. Still like a clean car, so the automatic car wash it is.

Unless it is raining or snowing, I always have a clean car and get tons of compliments.

Now, my car is a lease, so I'm not as emotionally attached to it as someone who is financially stretching to buy their dream car and drive it for the next 10 years.

Hey, are you spying on me?

My take: I have to admit I hand-wash (wand wash) only. Enough dings (including a rock chip from a lawn mower arrghghgh) will show up on their own anyway and I don't need to hasten the process. In a pinch (e.g. road trip) I'll use a touchless.

So far I wand wash, but am considering switching to a no rinse product so I can get away with doing it in my garage (washing in the driveway here is illegal as soap may enter a storm drain and they don't care if it's bio degradable or not)
I do also have a touchless place nearby that has no track, you just drive through, but I wasn't super impressed with how clean my car was afterwards, and I can use the wand wash place for half the price

There is a newly opened car wash near my place, and as a promotion they offered free car washes for the whole month this past November. I went through there so many times it was hilarious. Had I seen this thread I may have taken it a bit easier there. Fortunately no harm done.