TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do NOT use H&R block for your taxes!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jonathan Hewitt, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Jonathan Hewitt

Jonathan Hewitt Active Member

Do NOT use H&R block for your taxes! I spent several hours typing stuff in and finally get to the "credits" page. I do not see the EV tax credit anywhere (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf). I am confused so I do a google search and I find this from last year:
    WARNING: H R BLOCK DOES NOT SUPPORT FORM 8834 $7500 FED TAX CREDIT | Forums | Tesla Motors

I feel bad for Joe, but it made me laugh and feel better because I ended up in the same situation. DO NOT USE H&R. Don't have the same problem Joe and I had.

There were almost 100,000 EVs sold in 2013. That's 100,000 customers that H&R block can't have this year. Only way to have H&R work is to go into a local branch and pay them a preparation fee. Good job H&R!

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I almost read your name as "Jackson Hewitt" ;)

3. walla2

walla2 Member

I found this out the hard way in 2012. Sad to see they still don't care. Repeat do not use them. TurboTax or an accountant.

4. loganss

loganss Spaceman

TurboTax for the win. It's so convenient. There was a slight delay to get the EV tax form but other than that it was smooth sailing.

Based on the OP it sounds like you didn't finalize with H&R block and can go elsewhere. Nice catch.

5. GDH

GDH Banned

TaxAct, I already filed....getting refund on Feb 10th.

6. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Filed last year using the software. Just downloaded the form from IRS website and manually overrode the form in H&R's software.

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

"Get Your Billion Back" you say.

100,000 EVs * $7500 = $750M + State rebates ~ $1B.

So America won't be getting 'their billion back' by using H&R Block!

8. 772

772 Member

Me too, I wondered if it was some elaborated marketing/FUD strategy to target Tesla owners :D

9. Jonathan Hewitt

Jonathan Hewitt Active Member

If it is it's not working well, I'm using TurboTax :p USAA gave me a discount!!

10. dave

dave Member

Hey Jason, any information on how to "override" the form in the software? I just found myself in the exact same situation (spent all day doing my taxes to find out there is no form!!). Thanks!!