Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do not want AP bundle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, full self-driving that is 100% finished and works in every scenario will of course take awhile. But I doubt Tesla will release finished FSD right away. More likely, Tesla will do what it has done with autopilot, it will release features piece meal that will gradually improve AP towards FSD. So, we will get features that will add more autonomy in certain driving situations. But make no mistake, FSD may take awhile but L3 and L4 autonomous driving is coming very very soon.

You bring up some good examples. Obviously, there are these special driving scenarios that FSD will need to be able to handle correctly. In fact, that is why companies are working on AI because there are too many special cases to simply program them all into the car, so the car will need to be truly intelligent and think about how to handle new situations. That is why true FSD is taking as long as it has. If self-driving cars were just a matter of maintaining the right speed and staying in the lane, we would have had them a long time ago.

But as I mentioned above, partial FSD is going to happen very soon and FSD will happen someday. People who think that FSD will never happen are fooling themselves. In the beginning, partial FSD won't be able to handle every situation but it will allow some self-driving in the most common driving scenarios. And FSD will get better and better and learn how to handle more and more situations until it is able to handle all driving situations like the ones you bring up.

You are being a bit unfair as this is a very extreme weather condition that would kill many human drivers. Sure, FSD will need to be able to handle that situation at some point but how about we judge FSD in a more typical driving scenario first and then go from there? There are plenty of demos of FSD where the car is able to handle normal driving situations pretty well.

But I'll grant you this: if that is what the roads look like in winter for you then no, AP is not for you.

If that's what roads looked like in my area, I'd move.

So, I was thinking about a honeymoon in Iceland... best month to come where the roads won't be like that?

"Summer" :)

It depends on what your goals are. For example:

* Northern lights: obviously, the closer you are to the winter solstice, the greater the odds of seeing them. Since there is no night in the summer, obviously you can't see them in the summer!
* Ice caves: late fall to late spring. They're too unstable in the summer.
* Highlands: late summer. There's only a short period where the snow is melted in the highlands. Note access to the highlands *requires* a high-clearance 4x4! It involves fording rivers and the like.
* Price: cheapest prices are before 1 june and after Menningarnótt in late august.
* Major festivals: 17 júni (june 17, independence day), hinsegin dagar (LGBT Pride Fest - yes, it's one of our biggest annual festivals, usually early august), Menningarnótt (Culture Night, late august)
* Music festivals: all over the country in the summer, plus random other times in-town. My favorite is Iceland Airwaves in November.
* Warmest temperatures: late july
* Most daylight: End of june
* Least wind: "summer"
* Lupine in bloom: June to July
* Blueberry season: August
* Mushroom season: August to September
* Puffins: Mid to late summer; pufflings start flying in August.
* Whales: Year-round

Yes, TACC is just about the only AP feature I use on a regular basis. I use Autosteer occasionally just to do something interesting on a long drive sometimes. Is it a fatigue-busting wonder? Not in my opinion. I have to concentrate harder on making sure it doesn't screw up than I do on making sure I don't screw up when I'm steering..

AutoPark? Never used it and unlikely I will. I don't park next to other cars. I think I have seen the "P" show up a couple of times, but never when I was trying to test it. User error, no doubt. But I just don't park in places where it might be useful.

Well I need to totally disagree(respectfully of course:)). I do think it's(AP w/Autosteer) a "fatigue busting wonder"/technological marvel and I've done some longgggg drives(e.g 18 hrs straight etc.) and that was in the early days of AP1. Through OTA updates, it's(AP1) actually far more advanced now so really looking forward to my upcoming 2700 mi trek. AP2 is at(or near) parity with AP1 and it will improve for years to come. Auto park I do use and enjoy but I wouldn't say it's game changing whereas AP(w/autosteer) changes everything.

^ That's true.

For those who mention accident avoidance, that is already a standard safety feature:
  • Eight cameras, forward radar and twelve ultrasonic sensors enabling active safety technologies including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking
How reliable is the AEB on a Tesla? I don't trust the AEB on our Toyota RA4 with Safety Sense but it did work when I was using dynamic cruise control and moved over two lanes with a car at around 1 o'clock (one lane to the right) from where I was.

When people talk about additional safety, does the car stick to the lane without touching the markers? Does automatically change lanes use side cameras work to avoid accidents (e.g. two cars trying to move to the same spot on the highway, people cutting in front of you too close)?

Enhanced Autopilot - $5,000
Model 3 will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway and self-park at your destination.

Edit: it seems only the two front cameras are working and not the other six?
Side collision warning | Tesla

Last edited:
Basic AP being accident avoidance, which the Prius has, along with nearly every mid level car made this year forward. Calling it Enhanced implies a level of AP that auto pilots. There is no pilot in the basic, there is a 'oh crap' pilot.

Did you miss all the earlier explanations that basic autopilot is another name for AP1 or older autopilot cars? Enhanced autopilot is NOT referring to "enhanced over what is offered by default" it is "enhanced over what we used to offer and we are charging $5000 instead of $2500 for it".

Exactly. That's the only part of AP that I really care about - the crash avoidance features. The rest hits me as gimmicks. And I worry Tesla is opening themselves up to a class action suit on the full self driving option, because I do not expect that to come any time soon, if at all. There's just so many factors that go into a human's reading of the road beyond just following white lines. And some are region-specific. Example: around here, if you see a group of sheep on the side of the road, that's a "you should probably slow down" scenario. However, if you see a ewe on one side and a lamb on the other, that's a should definitely slow down scenario. Because the lamb will always run to its mother, across the road, when you approach. How long do you think it'll be before someone writes a "sheep / ewe / lamb" image recognition algorithm into AP and the rules associated with dealing with them?

There's just so, so much that we do that helps us determine how we should be driving. Here people often drive in the middle of the road in the countryside (aka straight over the lane divider) because the sides are more dangerous - do you think AP knows that? On the road to my land, I adjust my speed based on the frequency of potholes, my assessment of their depth, how close they are to each other relative to my speed, whether they're on a slope or flat land, whether they're on the steep slope that has a canyon and no guard rail on the side vs. an area that would be safe to accidentally slide off the road on, etc. How much of that do you think AP takes into account, or ever will? If I'm driving down the road, and I notice that it's a different colour ahead, I change speed because that might mean a worse road surface or unexpected construction. Do you think AP does that? If I'm driving in rugged terrain and I see plant growth on the road ahead of me, I go ahead and assume the road is turning - while if I see growth suddenly disappear somewhere, I assume there's a canyon there. If I see an unusual shadow on the road, I slow down because it might be debris or the like on the road, or maybe a dead animal. If I'm approaching an area with a concrete wall to the side in an area with high winds, I preemptively angle my steering a bit because I know the winds shift when you approach the wall, and when you pass it. On and on and on. These things take judgement, not just line following. You can easily make software to do 99,9% of self driving, but that last 0,1%, that's an immensely more difficult problem.

Even line following.... if you want to travel around my country in the winter, here's what the roads can look like:

snow_winter_road_west_fjords.jpg

The concept that a less-than-human-level-intelligence is not going to get me killed on a road like that.... sorry, I have no faith in that.

I remember going to Alaska too. Oh, wait.

As several people have mentioned, monitoring AP is more stressful than driving yourself. This agrees with my Navy experiences.

It funny you say that, but want TACC. Of all the elements of AP, it's TACC that makes me the most nervous. I keep my hands loosely on the wheel I don't need to "monitor" it, I can feel if the wheel starts to move and I can grab really quickly if it starts steering wrong. If it accelerates or fails to slow it would be harder to hit the brake in time in the middle of heavy traffic. I always feel like I need to keep my foot hovering above the brake. If I can relax enough to avoid that, I can't see why I'd be worried about auto-steer. (This is my experience based on my wife's Honda system and a couple times driving a service loaner Tesla. I'm assuming I'll relax about all of it with time.)