Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do people need to be informed first? 6 Month part wait list?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am glad to know that Tesla is aware of this and working on it, and that progress is being made. In addition to reducing the backlog from 1 year to 6 months, they talked specifically about the parts problem at the annual meeting *and* the last conference call and they are clearly focusing hard on it.

It is critical to produce car parts *significantly faster* than producing cars. However, if they've built up the sort of backlog of missing parts which they clearly have built up, it takes quite a while to catch up, even once you start producing enough parts.

I have found that once Tesla top management is aware of a serious problem, it *does* get fixed, even if it takes a year or two to fix it.

So I'd tell people to go ahead and buy the Tesla, but if they're accident-prone, maybe wait a year until the parts problem gets sorted out.

The problems you should worry about are the ones where management is acting like there's no problem. Like the inability to get people on the phone who know what they're talking about.

Where did you get "wait a year" from? Tesla isn't spending any more on service, yet they expect the number of Teslas produced to more than double in a year, so why do you expect it'll get better in a year?

Update.

Its going to take 5-7 days to get the order into Tesla's System.

Its going to take 1-2 months for the repair.... AFTER ALL of the parts arrive.

I won't see my car until January.

I was asked earlier - Do you wish you had purchased a different car?

So, after your accident, you're now having to wait until after July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year,....I'm just counting holidays here, Lol. There's no guarantee that your car will be done by January. This is so wrong on all levels at Tesla. Who gives a *sugar* about Space X, Boring company, semis,..... when there are CURRENT problems like this. Has EM abandoned Tesla vehicles operations, and moved on to his other businesses?

So, after your accident, you're now having to wait until after July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year,....I'm just counting holidays here, Lol. There's no guarantee that your car will be done by January. This is so wrong on all levels at Tesla. Who gives a *sugar* about Space X, Boring company, semis,..... when there are CURRENT problems like this. Has EM abandoned Tesla vehicles operations, and moved on to his other businesses?

I don't really know what EM is doing.

After you spend your money buying a car......you are almost on your own in getting stuff fixed.

Even though the accident wasn't my fault.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
I sympathize with you as we went through a similar experience.

Our MX with 600 miles on it was rear-ended in January by a new driver running a red light. Thankfully the car was drivable as the parts took 9 weeks to come in. The repair took 4 days.

I see you’re in Westmont, I’m in Evanston. Tesla had directed me to The Ultimate Paint Shop No. 2 in Highland Park, where we had a great experience (once the parts came in!)

We no longer have range anxiety, we have collision anxiety.

Hopefully the six month time frame you were given is worst-case.

So while I'm absolutely not discounting anyone else's issues or timelines, I would point out that my Model S was rear ended a couple of years ago and the repair took 3 days. It required replacing the bumper cover among other things but 3 days is all it took. EDIT: Sorry, the work from initial estimate to completion took 10 calendar days so it's fair to point out it took at least a few days for the body shop to get the part, car was only in for the 3 days.

That being said, yes, going from 1yr to 6 months is still an absurdly long time to wait and trying to point that out as a positive is frustrating beyond frustrating...

Jeff

So while I'm absolutely not discounting anyone else's issues or timelines, I would point out that my Model S was rear ended a couple of years ago and the repair took 3 days. It required replacing the bumper cover among other things but 3 days is all it took. EDIT: Sorry, the work from initial estimate to completion took 10 calendar days so it's fair to point out it took at least a few days for the body shop to get the part, car was only in for the 3 days.

That being said, yes, going from 1yr to 6 months is still an absurdly long time to wait and trying to point that out as a positive is frustrating beyond frustrating.../QUOTE]
The Tesla of 2019 is an entirely different company than the Tesla of 2017. The Tesla of 2017 would replace our yellow-banded screens under warranty. The Tesla of 2019? Nope. The Tesla of 2019 cares only about keeping Wall Street happy so they can retain access to the capital markets. So until Wall Street cares about parts availability, Tesla won't care about parts availability.

The median is more interesting, because it's likely that there are some parts for which the waiting time is well night infinite. These tend (if you take the average) to skew the metric. The median is a more robust metric for a non-normal distribution when you have outliers.

Of course for Tesla not having outliers _is_ actually important, so for them it makes sense to compute the average as well.

Statisticians would care about the difference.
Statisticians would know that including a value of infinity in an series would make the average value infinite.

Reactions: Wooloomooloo
The median is more interesting, because it's likely that there are some parts for which the waiting time is well night infinite. These tend (if you take the average) to skew the metric. The median is a more robust metric for a non-normal distribution when you have outliers.

I know I am late replying to this, but this is completely wrong. The median is still easily skewed by a small number of outliers since it takes only one outlier to move the median - it obviously depends on the number of data points, but it's not the best measure.

If you're interested in customer experience (which Tesla should be) you'd take the "mode" of waiting time, as this represents the most typical.

Statisticians would care about the difference.

They would, and the correct application. :D

Not quite completely wrong (I do agree the median is usually less efficient but I chose my words carefully) but that's quite off-topic.

And yes, the mode would also be interesting, no argument from me on that.

Fair enough and we don't know how Tesla calculates this anyway ("average" in everyday nomenclature doesn't always literally mean "mean").

I would be interested in the typical wait time for different types of spares/repairs. If you have a cluster of repair types that are 1 - 2 days, then a cluster of 1 - 2 weeks, then 1 - 2 months, then 1 - 2 years, then all 3 could be 6-months.

Update.

Occasionally I wonder if buying it at all was a good idea, particularly the poor quality of the body itself (paint, panels, those delicate and heavy 20" wheels) or when I lose 10% charge because I left it standing for 4 days, or when I stop at a supercharger in Oklahoma and the only amenity is herbal tea at a Holiday Inn.

But when I am driving it, I never regret buying it.

I would be interested in the typical wait time for different types of spares/repairs.

So would I -- nothing beats having the full data (even some sampled data) instead of just a few numbers that summarise it.

The situation in Europe is different. They are forced to have some parts, probably more than in the US, because they can't have absolutely everyone wait for a boat for just about anything.

But I guess if they don't have a spare part in Europe (the different countries seem to borrow from each other), you're in for an even longer wait (by the amount a US person would wait plus an extra month).

And there is zero information about whether they actually have built up the "usual" European stock for model 3 spare parts at all.

BTW, that's probably a problem with EVs in general here in Europe.

I expect that someone with an E-tron would have less trouble finding spares except if the battery is involved (unless it's justa few cells to replace); I think they have ample manufacturing capacity in Vorst for all parts and have built quite some stock except for the batteries where they are production constrained (and the recent recall to rework the batteries isn't going to help).

Ditto for the Kona: if you hear that you'll wait a year for a new Kona EV, then chances are that someone who wants a Kona repaired can also get in a pickle...

Update.

Its going to take 5-7 days to get the order into Tesla's System. -- No change from my experience

Its going to take 1-2 months for the repair.... AFTER ALL of the parts arrive. -- as expected

I won't see my car until January. -- I'd hope for late September. January seems a bit crazy.

I had the “privilege” of being hit in a Model S loaner myself. Low speed impact, plastic fascia and hood damaged. 5 months later the car was still sitting unrepaired at the SC.

Having a $50k asset sit around cause they can’t handle a $1500 (paid for) repair is not exactly helping the bottom line. This is perfectly in line with everything else I’ve observed at the service centers, the general level of waste and disfunction beggars belief. To assume that a company this wasteful has a chance of survival in a competitive environment is simply wishful thinking.

Are we talking all parts here or just specific things? I took delivery of an M3P and it had some damage to the scuff plates (plastic pieces under the rocker panels), more than likely from the going on and off the transporter. I opened a service ticket, parts were ordered and showed up in about 5 days and mobile service came to my house and replaced them in my driveway. My understanding is that if you have a minor accident and only need a bumper or fender, they will now order a new one factory painted and just swap it out vs. having to wait months in a body shop. Obviously a more significant accident will require a lengthy stay at a body shop.

If I get in a wreck it sounds like it may be best to make sure the car is totaled and move on to the next one. ;)