Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do people need to be informed first? 6 Month part wait list?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just wondering what you guys think.

Do potential Tesla buyers need to know what the repair times are if they are in an accident? ( even one that is not their fault? )

Everyone.....I'm not making any of this up. I couldn't believe it.

I called the standard Tesla Customer Support line. After explaining my story I was transferred to a Tesla body shop advocate. I didn't even know there was such a group within Tesla.

Anyway - we spoke for about 30 min as I represented more than just myself in the conversation. I represented everyone that was getting their cars repaired at AutoNation in Westmont Il.

After a lot of conversation with the Tesla body shop advocate ( who was extremely kind and compassionate ) I received the following statement from her.

"There has been a tremendous push since February to improve parts availability. Things have gotten tremendously better since February as the average wait for parts has been reduced from 1YEAR TO NOW ONLY 6 MONTHS".

I'm not making that up.

I didn't even know what to say. Tesla is proud of that? 6 month wait time on parts?

OMG.....

I still don't know what to say.

The median is more interesting, because it's likely that there are some parts for which the waiting time is well night infinite. These tend (if you take the average) to skew the metric. The median is a more robust metric for a non-normal distribution when you have outliers.

Of course for Tesla not having outliers _is_ actually important, so for them it makes sense to compute the average as well.

Who cares about a median?
Statisticians would care about the difference.

Reactions: P85_DA and neroden
The median is more interesting, because it's likely that there are some parts for which the waiting time is well night infinite. These tend (if you take the average) to skew the metric. The median is a more robust metric for a non-normal distribution when you have outliers.

Of course for Tesla not having outliers _is_ actually important, so for them it makes sense to compute the average as well.

Statisticians would care about the difference.

There are thousands of cars in Chicagoland waiting for parts....and have been waiting for parts since February. Do we care what a median is? No.

Do we care what a statistician thinks? No.

Its unbelievable that Anyone at Tesla believes that this is even remotely a good thing.

I sympathise with your plight, and you have every right to be displeased, but I am also interested in what happens in less extreme cases. And in the progress Tesla does make (if any). Because if they don't, a lot of people will be in your shoes later too...

Reactions: neroden
I sympathise with your plight, and you have every right to be displeased, but I am also interested in what happens in less extreme cases. And in the progress Tesla does make (if any). Because if they don't, a lot of people will be in your shoes later too...

I'm interested in what happens in more extreme cases.

There are thousands of people across the country that are in my shoes.

Tesla should put on their big boy pants and inform people of this potential situation before they buy a Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
The Millennial's working at Tesla don't have a history of work experience to rely upon yet. This young company thinks all it has to do is push poorly finished product out the door. Customers are expected to treat the product like it was a cell phone, simply buy a new one every 2 years.

If Tesla thinks there is going to be a lineup of future customers willing to accept this kind of product, I have news for them.
There is a host of well established car manufacturers, world wide, with well established dealer networks, all doing EV's
Competition will shake things up.

I am glad to know that Tesla is aware of this and working on it, and that progress is being made. In addition to reducing the backlog from 1 year to 6 months, they talked specifically about the parts problem at the annual meeting *and* the last conference call and they are clearly focusing hard on it.

It is critical to produce car parts *significantly faster* than producing cars. However, if they've built up the sort of backlog of missing parts which they clearly have built up, it takes quite a while to catch up, even once you start producing enough parts.

I have found that once Tesla top management is aware of a serious problem, it *does* get fixed, even if it takes a year or two to fix it.

So I'd tell people to go ahead and buy the Tesla, but if they're accident-prone, maybe wait a year until the parts problem gets sorted out.

The problems you should worry about are the ones where management is acting like there's no problem. Like the inability to get people on the phone who know what they're talking about.

Anyone that spends 5 minutes on this forum knows that there’s a huge Tesla parts backlog. After 9k posts I’m surprised that OP is surprised by this.

Because the OP didn't read everything in the forum.

The OP resides on the model 3 threads 99.9% of the time.....where the threads about parts backlog rarely appears.

That's what I'm quite sure the OP thinks.