Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do people understand the door handles?

Do first-time passengers understand how to open your doors?

• Always

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • Half of the time

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Less then half of the time

Votes: 56 45.2%
  • Never

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • I don’t own a Model 3 or Model Y

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Model X owner, I constantly have to instruct people how to use my door handles. I think it’s about 50/50 with people figuring it out the first time. Is this also a common problem with the Model 3 (and Y) door handles? I’m specifically interested in how first time passengers react, though please feel free to share your opinions or tips about the door handles too!

Reactions: dmurphy
Even worse, *I* don’t know how to work them!

After driving my wife’s X for a few weeks, I keep pressing on the handle waiting for the door to pop open.

Even worse is getting in and immediately stepping on the brake, wondering why the damn door won’t close.

“oh, right.”

I really want this feature, never have to reach a door again. Could do something else like check instagram instead of closing your door.

Is this closing feature only Model X?

• Funny
Reactions: calidreamz808
Never, but the outside handles are never what I am worried about. If someone is riding in my car for the first time, I make sure I tell them about the button to open the doors from the inside. The last thing I want is for the emergency release to damage the windows.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
Yeah I have the same experience as above posts, but I still kinda like the door handles anyway for some reason. They look cool and are part of what makes the car interesting.

I know there are some Model 3 Uber drivers out there - this must get old for them haha

I posted about this last year. People in general are dumb.... It works the same way as a C6 Corvette. Press the button!! It's marked like the window switches!
I'm pretty sure OP is talking about the external door handles for getting into the car, not the internal button to get out of the car. But, yeah, using the internal button is just as problematic as figuring out how to open the door from the outside for most new passengers.