Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do 'Performance' models have different parts / hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your RWD S75 has the “large” rear drive unit that’s installed in the performance model. Save for some minor tweaks and revisions, it’s the same motor as it was back in 2016.

There’s no additional performance to be had as the result of a drive unit replacement. Your battery is the limiting factor.

Your RWD S75 has the “large” rear drive unit that’s installed in the performance model. Save for some minor tweaks and revisions, it’s the same motor as it was back in 2016.

There’s no additional performance to be had as the result of a drive unit replacement. Your battery is the limiting factor.

the pack fuse is the major limiting factor. even if you had the right pack fuse, youd need to redeploy firmware and void that warranty you just got good use out of :)

the pack fuse is the major limiting factor. even if you had the right pack fuse, youd need to redeploy firmware and void that warranty you just got good use out of :)

Thank you both, this is very helpful.

@demundus I would never mess with my car's firmware and void the warranty. Conceptually though, could Tesla do both a pack fuse and firmware update or are there known hardware limitations with my car specs that would not make that a possibility to begin with?

This thread is helping me piece together the puzzle so that I don't ask them stupid questions...In essence, i am asking said questions here instead! :)

Conceptually though, could Tesla do both a pack fuse and firmware update or are there known hardware limitations with my car specs that would not make that a possibility to begin with?

A new pack fuse and updated drive unit revision would in theory make your car equivalent to the small batch of RWD 75s that left the factory in late 2017 capable of 4.3 second 0-60.

Sure Tesla could conceptually do it. Practically speaking, they will tell you to pound sand.

The would never. If you wanted a faster car they'd tell you to buy... the faster car.

There are people who will do it for you, its a matter of paying for it, i dont know of anyone who has lost their warranty because of it, but its implied that if tesla found out they'd try to pull the warranty.

What was the end result of this?

Any additional performance?

Any additional information?
My car is a P85 now, but the VIN is a base 85. This is because the pack and packfuse were inadvertently upgraded during a battery warranty swap before i purchased the car. I dont think this is really the case anymore, they are smarter than that now. you'd have to physically do this component swap yourself, and then do all above i mentioned.

My car is a P85 now, but the VIN is a base 85. This is because the pack and packfuse were inadvertently upgraded during a battery warranty swap before i purchased the car. I dont think this is really the case anymore, they are smarter than that now. you'd have to physically do this component swap yourself, and then do all above i mentioned.
sorry, I should have clarified, my question was directed at @hmmm

I have the same variation S75 RWD so I am curious about that specific experience....