Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do police respect Tesla's more?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am just wondering do police give Tesla drivers more breaks if they get pulled over? I used to drive an bright orange BMW M3 Lime Rock Edition and I didn't really enjoy driving it all the time because it got attention mainly for being bright orange. If I got pulled over, there was no sympathy from the police and I just had to accept the ticket.

But once I started driving a Tesla Model 3, I have never been given a speeding ticket since driving it for 3-4 years. The first day I owned it, I accelerated a bunch of times and did get pulled over. Probably just because I was accelerating a lot but maybe the police didn't catch me speeding so he just let me go. Or maybe he saw this was a Tesla and not a bright orange BMW M3 and thinks Teslas are law abiding cars that don't do illegal street races like a BMW M3 would.

I got pulled over another time because I drove through an empty college campus at night after taking a wrong freeway exit. I guess I may have ran a stop sign, but I couldn't see it because it was super dark and no cars. But a cop did pull me over, he just wanted to check I wasn't drunk, he did his test, and couldn't find any sign of being intoxicated because I had no alcohol. If that cop was an asshole he may have written me a ticket for running a stop sign, but I truly didn't see it and it was so dark, I think the cop knew that, and because I drove a Tesla the cop was like, ohh Tesla just a normal car and not a sports car. I got no ticket on that time either.

But the nice thing is that Tesla can have insane acceleration like a sports car. I believe it's more fun to drive than the M3 I used to have before. And I like it because it looks like a normal car so you can have a thrilling car without the cops falsely assuming you will be driving reckless. I am wondering when the Tesla Roadster comes out, will cops not think much about it? Because the Roadster doesn't look as aggressive as a Lamborghini even though it will likely accelerate faster, so maybe cops won't think much about it.

Also like there are kids in my neighborhood riding electric dirt bikes that go 50mph! But because they are electric and silent, it's a little harder to get mad at them because it's not like a gas dirt bike that will make tons of noise and be super obvious. And a kid told me cops notice them but don't know how to deal with them, so a kid with no drivers license gets away with riding these things. A gas dirt bike going 50 mph will seem very menacing, an electric dirt bike you just get confused but know its going fast. So I think this same idea applies for Teslas because they are quiet cars.

Not saying you should speed or drive wrecklessly. But if you're gonna have a little fun, I feel you will have a better chance being let off with a warning being in a Tesla instead of a BMW M3 or Mercedes AMG. I think it's kind of good Tesla are not car meet type of cars because they are less associated as being trouble makers thus the police will just give tickets to the BMWs and Mercedes and leave the Teslas alone.

Last edited:
I am just wondering do police give Tesla drivers more breaks if they get pulled over? I used to drive an bright orange BMW M3 Lime Rock Edition and I didn't really enjoy driving it all the time because it got attention mainly for being bright orange. If I got pulled over, there was no sympathy from the police and I just had to accept the ticket.

But once I started driving a Tesla Model 3, I have never been given a speeding ticket since driving it for 3-4 years. The first day I owned it, I accelerated a bunch of times and did get pulled over. Probably just because I was accelerating a lot but maybe the police didn't catch me speeding so he just let me go. Or maybe he saw this was a Tesla and not a bright orange BMW M3 and thinks Teslas are law abiding cars that don't do illegal street races like a BMW M3 would.

I got pulled over another time because I drove through an empty college campus at night after taking a wrong freeway exit. I guess I may have ran a stop sign, but I couldn't see it because it was super dark and no cars. But a cop did pull me over, he just wanted to check I wasn't drunk, he did his test, and couldn't find any sign of being intoxicated because I had no alcohol. If that cop was an asshole he may have written me a ticket for running a stop sign, but I truly didn't see it and it was so dark, I think the cop knew that, and because I drove a Tesla the cop was like, ohh Tesla just a normal car and not a sports car. I got no ticket on that time either.

But the nice thing is that Tesla can have insane acceleration like a sports car. I believe it's more fun to drive than the M3 I used to have before. And I like it because it looks like a normal car so you can have a thrilling car without the cops falsely assuming you will be driving reckless. I am wondering when the Tesla Roadster comes out, will cops not think much about it? Because the Roadster doesn't look as aggressive as a Lamborghini even though it will likely accelerate faster, so maybe cops won't think much about it.

Also like there are kids in my neighborhood riding electric dirt bikes that go 50mph! But because they are electric and silent, it's a little harder to get mad at them because it's not like a gas dirt bike that will make tons of noise and be super obvious. And a kid told me cops notice them but don't know how to deal with them, so a kid with no drivers license gets away with riding these things. A gas dirt bike going 50 mph will seem very menacing, an electric dirt bike you just get confused but know its going fast. So I think this same idea applies for Teslas because they are quiet cars.

Not saying you should speed or drive wrecklessly. But if you're gonna have a little fun, I feel you will have a better chance being let off with a warning being in a Tesla instead of a BMW M3 or Mercedes AMG. I think it's kind of good Tesla are not car meet type of cars because they are less associated as being trouble makers thus the police will just give tickets to the BMWs and Mercedes and leave the Teslas alone.
Your story reminds me of my "Arrest-Me-Yellow", Corvette (model: Optional with the "High Maintenance" Package), LOL

fullsizeoutput_65a2.jpeg

Our S85 was new in 2014. In June I was returning to California from Denver. As I was waved through the ag checkpoint just west of the Colorado River, a CHP was just minding his own business in the closed traffic lane. As soon as I exited from the inspection station, he followed me from there to where US95 leaves I-40 about 8 miles west of Needles. This was about 19 miles total driving. I maintained my speed at 63-65 (70 MPH limit) all the way. This was mostly because there was no charging between Kingman and Barstow, so I kept my speed down to extend range. This guy kept alternating between my blind spot and tailgating me.

Then, the following summer on one Sunday morning, another CHP tailed me from the entrance to I-5 at Mt. Shasta City (I had completed Supercharging for the downhill drive) until about 10 miles south of Dunsmuir. Again, I kept my speed at 62-64 (65 MPH limit). This distance was about 20 miles.

Maybe these guys were in awe of this new-fangled car. Or maybe they were just bored to tears and wanted some action. (By the way, when I passed through the ag checkpoint earlier that day that is just south of the Oregon line, the inspector said that I was the third Tesla passing through on that Sunday morning. So, by then they were not that uncommon.)

My belief is that in many areas cops get bored during their shifts. (It is supposed to be against state law in California to have a "quota" system for traffic citations. Not too sure that everyone got the memo. But I digress.) So, yeah, if you are driving a notoriously fast car with a vivid paint job, you could be increasing your chances of being noticed by law enforcement. Like most animals, they try to harvest the low hanging fruit or the easy to stop traffic violators before they pursue people driving plain vanilla cars. I would assume that from an appearance standpoint, Teslas are more like plain vanilla than a lime-green Corvette or BMW.

Maybe we need a study of people willing to volunteer driving an ostentatious fast car versus a Tesla speeding at the identical rate (say 82 in a 70) where cops are known to hang out with their radar/lidar going to see which car (or cars) are pulled over.

I'd agree with the sentiments that Teslas are common enough these days and especially 3s and Ys just mostly blend in and don't draw attention. Now if and when the new Roadster ever gets into production, then that might draw the same attention that your orange BMW might got.

Had an interesting run-in with the CT State Cops this past fall. On an interstate (I-84) with three forward lanes, A small pick-up truck had passed the SO and I on the left, towing a small camper trailer. When it was a couple hundred yards up the truck hit a bump in the road; there was a blast of dust, and the trailer disconnected, went flying off to the right, and hit the side of a small SUV minding its own business in the right lane. The lady driving the SUV did a good job, kept some kind of control of the locked-up mess, and managed to come to a halt on the verge, missing both a light pole and a sharp 20' drop-off a bit farther to the right.

The SO and I pulled over as we watched this all unfold, as did the pick-up truck. We verified that nobody was hurt and the two of us spent some time calming the SUV driver down; she was in near breakdown. The SO called 911; a couple of state cops showed up fairly quickly.. before the people in the pick-up truck had finished attempting to, well, disengage their trailer from the banged-up SUV. (They kind of desisted as the teen-age passenger and I ran around taking cell-phone pictures and all.)

When the second State Cop showed, it finally occurred to me that the CAM had been on. I mentioned this to the man, got a big grin, and he said, "This is why I love Teslas." We removed to the front seat, I got the cam up on the screen, and the cop took a video of the video with his cell phone.

We then said our good-byes and left.

But there do appear to be police out there that like Teslas. Or at least the cam on them.

Reactions: OxBrew
Perhaps anything outside the category that includes "bright orange BMW M3" or other attention-getting cars (e.g. cars with ostentatious modifications like giant aftermarket wings) may attract less attention from police with citation books.
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I'd agree with the sentiments that Teslas are common enough these days and especially 3s and Ys just mostly blend in and don't draw attention. Now if and when the new Roadster ever gets into production, then that might draw the same attention that your orange BMW might got.
Incidentally, zero attention from police in my Orange M3 over 8 years. On or off track.
Four encounters with police in TM3P over 4 years. For alleged infractions. No convictions.

YMMV,
a

I'm going to double down on my previous post that maybe they just don't hear us gunning it. If they do see us, they can't tell how fast we're really going if they don't have their radar on.

Case in point, yesterday I was making a right turn at an intersection and I didn't see the police cruiser waiting at the stoplight to my left. I accelerate to 55 in a 35 before looking back and seeing the cruiser. I slow down and expect to get pulled over. I see him a few cars behind me. To my relief, he turns right onto the freeway on-ramp. Either he didn't see/hear me or maybe was off duty b/c there's no way I shouldn't have gotten a ticket given the speed limit and how fast I went.

Maybe we need a study of people willing to volunteer driving an ostentatious fast car versus a Tesla speeding at the identical rate (say 82 in a 70) where cops are known to hang out with their radar/lidar going to see which car (or cars) are pulled over.
Well I did make another post about this. But my friend was helping take turns driving the Tesla and we were on CA-99 south (Lake Tahoe to Los Angeles / OC). He got pulled over doing about 82 in a 70 mph zone on an empty freeway at night.

We were cruising along and I told my friend there was a slow driving cop in the right lane and we were driving about the same speed as cop car. He acknowledged it was there. Then he speeds past the cop reaching up to 82 mph and then he immediately gets pulled over. I was like, why the hell would you speed past a cop car you obviously knew was there.

He gets pulled over and he starts apologizing to the cop and the cop went back to his car doing his thing. The cop ended up giving him a warning! I was just hoping he just get his ticket and we keep going, but he really just got a warning. I couldn't believe he got away with a warning! And my friend told me he has been pulled over multiple times because he has a bad habit of wanting to drive fast, he likes Gran Turismo and sports cars.

This has to be the 3rd time my Tesla got pulled over and received a warning.

Not having the associated sound of wide open throttle (WOT) when you are standing out it certainly helps I think somewhat. But if you are hauling ass it will be visually obvious as well so you are only partly shielded.

I have to disagree about the M3 though, I had a hell of a lot fun with that car and my Z06 Vette as well. Vette drivers and Tesla drivers seem to share much in common in that they seem to be super conservative in their driving. The most common high horsepower cars I see puttin' along in the right lanes are Teslas and Vettes by a large margin. Odd that... M3s I see around people tend to drive them the way they were meant to be driven. I drove all 3 models that way as well but I stuck out when I did given the geriatric style driving I observe from most others.