Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do recent Model Ys have radar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
Do recent Model Ys have radar?

I was noticing that in my ~1,000 miles of driving I haven't had a single Phantom Braking event. (I have had some "false" braking events where it braked and I wouldn't have, but I always knew when it was going to happen, like when someone was slowing down to turn right in front of me.)

And now that I have gotten 2022.16.3, which no longer requires that you be in a Tesla Service Center geo-fence area to enable service mode, I was poking around at what was available and ran across this:

1657335058895.png

Is this showing that my vehicle has radar? Or is it just showing a green radar dot for no reason? (When you open the screen the dots all start out red, and they turn green as it verifies them.)

Maybe that is why I haven't had PB events?

My car was made in late May, does anyone have an older vehicle that isn't supposed to have radar with 2022.16.3 that you can go into service mode and see what it shows?

Edit: Interesting other fact, I order a Model 3 and Model Y at the same time. For the Model 3 they made me accept a disclaimer that it wouldn't come with radar, I didn't have to do that for the Model Y. (The Model Y still started out with a 80 MPH AP limit, which is now 85 MPH, so that would make me think it doesn't have radar...)

Hi @MP3Mike

I took a look at my wifes 2022 Model Y performance, born on date (per tesla information to me) March 3rd, Purchase date 03/09/2022. This vehicle has the Ryzen processor, the new Lithium 12V (15v). When I looked at the information in service mode at the location you show, I do NOT see a "radar" green dot on this vehicle.

IMG_0096 (1).jpg

Note that I looked at my 2018 model 3, which definitely has radar, and it DOES have a "radar" green bullet where you show your vehicle has one. Perhaps you got lucky, or perhaps tesla is including them now? Nice find.

Edit: Forgot to put that, if its relevant, my wifes car just updated today to 2022.20.5

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Hi @MP3Mike

I took a look at my wifes 2022 Model Y performance, born on date (per tesla information to me) March 3rd, Purchase date 03/09/2022. This vehicle has the Ryzen processor, the new Lithium 12V (15v). When I looked at the information in service mode at the location you show, I do NOT see a "radar" green dot on this vehicle.

View attachment 826524

Note that I looked at my 2018 model 3, which definitely has radar, and it DOES have a "radar" green bullet where you show your vehicle has one. Perhaps you got lucky, or perhaps tesla is including them now? Nice find.
Thanks for checking and reporting back!

If mine does have radar, it is interesting that it still has the same AP speed restrictions as the radar-less vehicles.

Interesting, why would they remove it, add it back, remove it, add it back, etc.

Is it really just a supply issue? Or is there just some weird reporting issue where they show it for some vehicles, even when it doesn't have it, and not others?
I wonder whether 2022.16.3 has a glitch that reports it being there even though it isn't, although that seems to be a stretch. My next step will be when we are out driving today to put the car into TACC and see if I can reduce the following distance to 1 (rather than 3) which was the minimum with radar cars. It may not tell us anything for sure, but if we can do that, it might suggest that we have the radar sensor after all.

I wonder whether 2022.16.3 has a glitch that reports it being there even though it isn't, although that seems to be a stretch. My next step will be when we are out driving today to put the car into TACC and see if I can reduce the following distance to 1 (rather than 3) which was the minimum with radar cars. It may not tell us anything for sure, but if we can do that, it might suggest that we have the radar sensor after all.

I'm pretty sure everyone reporting here is on 2022.16.3, so why would it misreport radar on some vehicles but not others?

Does anyone know if you would be able to see the radar sensor if you just remove the Frunk tub, or do you have to pull the bumper cover to be able to see it?

Reactions: DrGriz
how are you guys getting into service mode?

I have been told that the instructions are in the service manual(s) that tesla has now allowed access to. I have not looked there for it myself, personally. I have always been of the belief that it would be best not to directly have that information posted here, for the simple fact that TMC is big enough it could cause Tesla to change the workflow on how to get into it, by being posted here.

An anecdotal example of something like this happening, is the fact that the tesla loan "rate matching" program ended basically due to all the people here using DCU referrals to rate match tesla loans.

I would suggest members PM it amongst themselves, for that reason, or at a very minimum, for someone to point to directly where it is in the service manual that is now free for people to get.

Reactions: gaswalla
I'm pretty sure everyone reporting here is on 2022.16.3, so why would it misreport radar on some vehicles but not others?

Does anyone know if you would be able to see the radar sensor if you just remove the Frunk tub, or do you have to pull the bumper cover to be able to see it?
I think you are exactly right. The hardware is probably there.

I don't know what the radar sensor looks like. I checked the service manual I have access to and it looks like all you have to do to check is pull the tub, which is simple.

1657400524100.png

I wonder if these are the new high resolution radar sensors that Elon said were the only useful kind?
Maybe they are, and the software isn't ready to utilize them yet?

I'm not sure I am ready to tear into my Model Y yet, but surely somebody that has a recent Model Y that says it has radar must be willing to pull the Frunk tub to see if there is actually a radar sensor in there.

Maybe they are, and the software isn't ready to utilize them yet?

I'm not sure I am ready to tear into my Model Y yet, but surely somebody that has a recent Model Y that says it has radar must be willing to pull the Frunk tub to see if there is actually a radar sensor in there.
So I did that.

Short answer: no, there's no radar sensor. At least for my car in which the current software does indicate it's presence.

I was easily able to reach in from (removed) tub area and feel around and assure myself that neither the sensor nor the bracket for it are there.

1657466086861.png

The harness has this taped off 4 wire connector in the right place which probably accommodates the sensor when it's there.

1657466447212.png

They probably just wanted to save on having to manufacture a new version of the harness only to end up stocking both versions in each service center. It’s naturally better to have a single part that will fit both newer and older vehicles.
Most likely. It is nice to think that a retrofit radar would be possible, however.