Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

do side camera's view on the screen work as well as side mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way.... do you know if Tesla changed the side mirrors lately?
I remember when I was test driving 2020 Model Y, I didn't have any issues with the mirrors few. At least - I don't remember it. But when I got my own 2022 Model Y, the mirror issue I have noticed immediately for some reason, and thought that maybe Tesla changed the mirror size or it's shape

They're smaller than normal for a vehicle that size. I'm guessing they want to keep the Cd low, they're not an insignificant portion of the frontal area. In my opinion, they should be an inch or so wider (or they should use more convex mirrors)

I had several close calls (and angry honks!) because of the poor side view mirrors. Couldn't position them to work for me. The cameras were an improvement but awkward until they allowed them to be positioned on the top of the screen in a recent update. Then it was a matter of training myself to use them and I now only use the cameras when changing lanes. There is no question what is next to me in the camera view.
When I gave the Y to my spouse I told her that would be the hardest part of transitioning to the new car from her ICE car with blind-spot monitoring. To the person who thinks boomers can't learn new tricks that is incorrect. And I had a transistor radio in the 60's so I could listen to AM radio! Love my Tesla.

Reactions: RidgeRunner
Does not work for me. It's already adjusted far out, that I don't see the rear side of my car at all, and still, the blind spot on the left - remains huge. The right side of the car is fine, because the right mirror is panoramic.
Can you move the left mirror out any more? I have mine all the way out on both sides. There might be some blind spot left, but the cameras provide insurance. Maybe you should get the Suma mirrors.

Can you move the left mirror out any more? I have mine all the way out on both sides. There might be some blind spot left, but the cameras provide insurance. Maybe you should get the Suma mirrors.
I probably can move mirrors out little more, but in this case, I probably will not see cars in the left lane behind me. Will try. But I actually got used to use a camera view for more confident maneuvering. Then only concern, is that switching to the other cars (rentals of wife's Honda) will be a little inconvenient as I would instinctively look at the screen instead of the mirror. Honda's mirrors by the way are awesome!

Reactions: Noflash
I had several close calls (and angry honks!) because of the poor side view mirrors. Couldn't position them to work for me. The cameras were an improvement but awkward until they allowed them to be positioned on the top of the screen in a recent update. Then it was a matter of training myself to use them and I now only use the cameras when changing lanes. There is no question what is next to me in the camera view.
When I gave the Y to my spouse I told her that would be the hardest part of transitioning to the new car from her ICE car with blind-spot monitoring. To the person who thinks boomers can't learn new tricks that is incorrect. And I had a transistor radio in the 60's so I could listen to AM radio! Love my Tesla.
thank you all , all of you, for the feedback. I'm gonna make the transition. surprised how long It's taken to figure out that the cameras may be better. and I have turned the mirrors out for quite a while too. I had transister radios too and I do remember the 1st time hearing an 8 track player in a car. It was amazing.

• Funny
After a recent 1700 mile roadtrip, using the side cameras, it became so automatic that a drive in my 2019 Avalon Hybrid was a challenge. The limited view of the side mirror made me nervous.

While cruising, I glance at ALL my mirrors every few hundred yards. I always know what's behind me, if they're closing rapidly, out of control semi, etc., so I can get out of their way. Before any lane change, I use the side camera. Works for me.

YMMV.
thanks for the feedback, That is a great idea to glance at ALL the mirrors every few hundred yards, like the pilots are trained to do with their instruments.

I don't like the mirrors on Model Y because they have so big "dead zones". I already had a couple of cases that I didn't collide to the car in the parallel line just because tesla safety feature turned the steering wheel away to avoid the collision.
Since then I always quickly check the side cameras view because they have a much bigger view angle and covering "dead zones"
glad to learn the "Tesla safety feature turned the steering wheel away to avoid the collision". I've wondered if it would do that.

glad to learn the "Tesla safety feature turned the steering wheel away to avoid the collision". I've wondered if it would do that.
Yeah... for me it's even avoided a curb one time when I was maneuvering in the airport on the narrow ramps. I didn't notice that on the steering weel, but I saw a message on the screen saying something like, "corrected steering to avoid something"...

I bought the HANSSHOW wide-angle mirrors thinking the new camera view would be a half-assed solution and after almost a year of driving the mirrors are still uninstalled.

I'm 70 and learned how to adjust my door mirrors years ago and now use the camera views in conjunction with the mirrors without any issues.

I can confirm that the blind spot camera view is now on the top left of the screen. I had the new release 2022.36.20 installed late last night, and this morning there it was on the top left without me doing anything.
I do believe that once we get used to the screen it will be better since it provides a wider view than the mirror. It will take some getting used to (the objects look a little smaller), but I think it will be better!

Reactions: Pianewman
I personally find the camera to be horrible for me because I cant gauge how close cars are at a quick glance. Because of this the red car display when it's unsafe to merge works better for me, but ideally there would be a light on the side mirror like most cars have.

Side mirrors are currently much better because you don't have to look down and refocus at the relatively close screen (perhaps more of a problem for older folks). With the mirrors you can keep your head up and see both forward and in the mirror at the same time in your peripheral vision or with only a slight eye movement. Cameras would be fine if the displays for them were mounted where you could see them without having to take your eyes off the road.

Reactions: RidgeRunner
Side mirrors are currently much better because you don't have to look down and refocus at the relatively close screen (perhaps more of a problem for older folks). With the mirrors you can keep your head up and see both forward and in the mirror at the same time in your peripheral vision or with only a slight eye movement. Cameras would be fine if the displays for them were mounted where you could see them without having to take your eyes off the road.
since posting this side mirror vs. camera question I've tried to use the cameras with their image on the screen and I feel its awkward (taking eye off the road to the screen and not able to judge distance. And, the way these jerks drive 20mph over the allowable 5 mph over the limit, they can be in your blind spot before you can initiate the lane change.

• Disagree