Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Some V11 Issues Warrant NHTSHA Reporting? Here's How to Do It.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wrong analogy. Tesla did this to *his* property
No, you're obligated to update the software per TOS. You actually *can't* disable updates. Even if you turn off WiFi, it'll slowly grab them from LTE. If you bring your car in for service, they'll install all updates as part of their procedures.
which you agree to when purchasing the car. If that’s not okay with you, sell it or don’t buy it in the first place. It’s non-negotiable.

Reactions: Ogre
Since, you can sell the car and likely get more for it than you paid for it.

What is the whining about?

Chevy is finally nearing the end of the Bolt recall, you can likely pick one up. They you get dedicated climate buttons which nobody can change in an OTA update.

• Disagree
Reactions: Raurele and Boza
This should make some people more comfortable with V11:

1649483257776.png

This should make some people more comfortable with V11:

View attachment 791670
Just installed it. Before anyone starts doing laps of joy:
- The 4 icons limitation is still there. But plenty of unused space to admire
- Only the driver seat warmer is available
- I dare you to find out how to add the new icons. They are hidden when you press the “…” button - only the entertainment is visible.
- The defogger/defroster does not turn on the HVAC. It is actually kind of cool to see the red/blue icon and the HVAC off. In the old days I would have thought that the AC compressor was broken.

Seriously, does anyone in Tesla does any basic testing before they release software?!

If they are so concerned about this update, something else will likely crop up in a later update which will cause their heads to explode and start crying out for regulatory intervention.

They should cut their losses and sell their car now before Tesla makes them tap the screen again.
Yeah honestly I don't know if I will change anything with the update. I've gotten used to tapping the stalk and adjusting the wipers no need to put anything up on the screen permanently. Sure I would like to see more wiper control on the actual stalk but screen changes don't really matter at this point. I could always leave the control card up if i want easy access to wipers. Turning my butt on isn't a safety issue. It can wait until I'm stopped or on autopilot. Same with anything temp related who really cares. The wipers are the only "safety" thing that could possibly be improved. even just a little wheel on the stalk to quickly raise and lower the speed would be fantastic.

Reactions: Ogre
Turning my butt on isn't a safety issue. It can wait until I'm stopped or on autopilot. Same with anything temp related who really cares

Windshield fog can cause complete lack of visibility in a very short time though, and it's the *worst* time to have to take your eyes off the road to fiddle with the screen.

Being from PA, certainly you've had your fair share of this during winter months?

Reactions: Boza
Windshield fog can cause complete lack of visibility in a very short time though, and it's the *worst* time to have to take your eyes off the road to fiddle with the screen.

Being from PA, certainly you've had your fair share of this during winter months?
yeah so far it has been a non-issue I would love to see more wiper controls on stalks but you can put it anywhere you like on the big ipad it doesn't make it any different I'm still digging around with no tactile feel. I just have to get used to the combo or keeping a card up if I want faster access.
heating really isn't an issue I know in the winter/humid climate never turn on recirculate it keeps the humidity in the car and fogs the windows.
If its cold and wet direct it to the windshield so it never fogs in the first place. Drive with ac on in the winter in humid condition to dry the air.

Don't take it personally what I say I'm a new Tesla owner I've been missing out. But I just think it's amazing that some guy has turned the automotive industry on it's head. I'm sure you old timers are getting spoiled and are starting to nit pick but I still find it truly amazing that I can see the entire industry shifting and really running scared because of Tesla so I'm down to support the faster than normal development. let's keep tesla ahead so people don't just go back to the same boring no innovation same old path. I think Elon is a little out of touch with the normal commuter but bitching on some forum doesn't solve much. Go tweet him everyday or do something constructive.

Don't take it personally what I say I'm a new Tesla owner I've been missing out.

As a new owner, perhaps you were lucky enough to have never experienced having a superior user interface removed from your vehicle and replaced with one that suffers from significant usability problems.

It's tough to go through, and this isn't a $200 phone... it's a significant expense. It's also not a small subjective change, but a fairly large overhaul that is objectively worse.

In some cases, these changes absolutely make certain situations less safe. Since it's safety related, reporting to the NHTSA isn't totally off-base.

As a new owner, perhaps you were lucky enough to have never experienced having a superior user interface removed from your vehicle and replaced with one that suffers from significant usability problems.

It's tough to go through, and this isn't a $200 phone... it's a significant expense. It's also not a small subjective change, but a fairly large overhaul that is objectively worse.

In some cases, these changes absolutely make certain situations less safe. Since it's safety related, reporting to the NHTSA isn't totally off-base.
I don't think it's as bad as these threads make it out to be. The weather has been absolute crap for the past month and it doesn't feel unsafe. well no more than not having dedicated wiper controls on mechanical buttons. even the ev6 has some dumb radio swap climate touch screen so climate controls are being hidden it's not just tesla. Buttons are great but I've had plenty of cars that had less than idea issues with foggy windshields. you adapt and find out what works. One of my mini's fogs up a lot I need to direct the air to the windshield, never use recirculate and always have the ac on even with heat. But it's nothing like an old vw beetle that i had to keep a towel in the car when the windshield would get ice on the inside.

Reactions: Raurele
I don't think it's as bad as these threads make it out to be.

But, you didn't have v10 and then v11, right?

We went from something that made sense to something that didn't make sense... and that's hard to make sense of. It *seems* like inexperience took over Tesla's software department.

To those that experienced it, why throw dirt? I believe if started with v10, you'd be frustrated to have what you have now.

Reactions: electrons4u
But, you didn't have v10 and then v11, right?

We went from something that made sense to something that didn't make sense... and that's hard to make sense of. It *seems* like inexperience took over Tesla's software department.

To those that experienced it, why throw dirt? I believe if started with v10, you'd be frustrated to have what you have now.
Now, after experiencing the 2022.12.1 “fixes”, I would still prefer the V10 UI - even though it had its issues. This whole thing feels like an abusive relationship. They broke something that more or less worked and we have to be happy when they somewhat put some of the old functionality back?!
They need a major strategy review of where they are going with the UI and build and org to propel them forward. The car has an amazing potential to be the future of UI but now it is becoming an example of what not to do with OTA. I would be very, very hesitant to buy another car with OTA capability if I cannot completely disable it.

Now, after experiencing the 2022.12.1 “fixes”, I would still prefer the V10 UI - even though it had its issues. This whole thing feels like an abusive relationship. They broke something that more or less worked and we have to be happy when they somewhat put some of the old functionality back?!
They need a major strategy review of where they are going with the UI and build and org to propel them forward. The car has an amazing potential to be the future of UI but now it is becoming an example of what not to do with OTA. I would be very, very hesitant to buy another car with OTA capability if I cannot completely disable it.
V11 was an attempt to move the UI conceptually closer to cars that are equipped with FSD beta. I know that a lot of people here think that the UI change was Elon's doing or maybe even a few incompetent people on the software design team. I don't agree with this view. I believe that it was a consensus effort at Tesla from the top to bottom.

Unfortunately, most Tesla's don't have FSD and even less have FSD beta. If the UI change had been limited to FSD beta cars, there still would have been grousing and hand wringing, but impact on the total installed base would have been limited. FSD beta users know that they are Tesla's pet guinea pigs, so they probably would have first complained and then been happy with a few changes from the original V11 UI. Right now, no FSD beta cars have 2022.12.1, so those of us in the beta program will have to wait.

So what have we now with 2022.12.1? A few icons were put back on the top status bar. The user can now add more icons to the bottom task bar. A couple lost V10 functions returned. These changes were the most common ones that people asked for.

But the original V11 UI changes that are more in line with autonomous driving are still available as an option. Personally, the left stalk taps and the auto seat heaters will continue to be my choice. Besides, I rarely fool with the touchscreen while driving, except to select media and change the navigation route. To me, using the touchscreen is just a short hop from using your phone while driving.