Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do supercharger users not care about price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The people sensitive to "fuel" prices are lower-income and are unlikely to drive Tesla(s).
No, don't agree and I see others don't agree. Guess you didn't see my post about the high-end Mercedes I see at the cheaper gas stations over here. "Generally", I think if people have an opportunity to save money, they will. Sure, there are really rich people that don't care about price of things, but I wouldn't make a blanket statement about it. :)

Reactions: jsmay311
But the trouble with those apps - is they don't give accurate costs for each station.
It's very rare for a Tesla destination charger to have costs. When they do it's a flat rate, but it's almost always free for guests. Tesla just released last month a system that will allow a site with 6 or more destination chargers to do billing, but it's brand new.

Tesla Destination chargers are mostly for people staying overnight at hotels or eating at some restaurants. They are not really substitutes for a supercharger. Well, they are in the sense that you would use one instead of a supercharger for your overnight fill up, but if you are going to wait for the charge to happen, they are not comparable. When you stay overnight, level 2 is superior to superchargers. When you don't, it's pretty much unusable.

It's very rare for a Tesla destination charger to have costs. When they do it's a flat rate, but it's almost always free for guests. Tesla just released last month a system that will allow a site with 6 or more destination chargers to do billing, but it's brand new.
If you use navigation, you can tap on the SC stops that are recommended, and it will tell you the cost per Kwh.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
If you use navigation, you can tap on the SC stops that are recommended, and it will tell you the cost per Kwh.
The discussion was on destination chargers.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
But, thats the thing. The real interesting piece of data that would be totally relevant to that, is how many of those people in the more expensive supercharger are actually PAYING (and thus care), vs "free unlimited supercharging" and thus dont care.
Perfect point. I am one of those "free" people. With my legacy MX, I don't care about supercharger cost. With our other 2 cars with no free "electrons", I know which SCs along my routes are cheapest and I use those.

Unfortunately, nobody collects and tracks costs for the tens of thousands of Tesla and other destination chargers except for their own network.
plugshare.com is crowd sourced by EV drivers and site owners and is pretty much the best that exists.
Plugshare is a treasure. I have always wondered how they make money. I don't know how many people use "pay with plugshare." Of course they are now owned by EVgo -- but then it is not clear to me how EVgo makes money, since selling electricity is not a great business.

One of my neighbors is a frequent customer of the Main Street Cupertino Supercharger. Her Model S has free Supercharging. So even though she has a NEMA 14-50 setup literally right next to her car in her garage, she drives over there. When I tease her about it, she says she just likes the excuse to get out and walk around a bit.

One of my neighbors is a frequent customer of the Main Street Cupertino Supercharger. Her Model S has free Supercharging. So even though she has a NEMA 14-50 setup literally right next to her car in her garage, she drives over there. When I tease her about it, she says she just likes the excuse to get out and walk around a bit.
Well, she is saving money. But cars with unlimited charge are now a small minority of Teslas. She would pay, at least 18 cents/kwh for the power in her garage, so it's probably worth the degradation of her battery. If she truly values the walkabout it may be a reasonable trade for her time.

Plugshare is a treasure. I have always wondered how they make money. I don't know how many people use "pay with plugshare." Of course they are now owned by EVgo -- but then it is not clear to me how EVgo makes money, since selling electricity is not a great business.

Ever since EVgo bought it, they've been placing ads. It is actually kind of annoying on the mobile version, where screen size is already kind of small.

Well, ads would be better than say biasing it in favour of EVgo To my surprise, they didn't even make the EVgo stations that have attached Tesla adapters on them show up when you search for Tesla fast charging. Which I actually would like, no matter who owns it. What I really want is for them to let me get different colours for different plug types or different networks. I want to see the superchargers in one colour and the CCS in another. Right now you can just see fast vs. slow (and 2 other colours for under construction/busy/down and private.)

Reactions: Rocky_H
Perfect point. I am one of those "free" people. With my legacy MX, I don't care about supercharger cost. With our other 2 cars with no free "electrons", I know which SCs along my routes are cheapest and I use those.
Oh and while I think about it, I'll clarify one point. Every Monday, we go to the Atlantis mid-day buffet. I know this location is the cheapest rate chargers in the Reno area for those that have to pay for charging, so I prefer to use the destination charger across the street (free to anyone) as I don't want to hog up a stall for someone that might really need it. That location is really busy at times.

I have always wondered how they make money.
Brian, the founder (actually, he started a different site but then bought plugshare.com and closed down his), was an early Tesla Roadster owner. He had made his $millions on several dot.com ventures and wanted to be able to find places to charge. Plugshare.com was his tool to enable others to find and report on chargers so that he, and the community, could use them.
it is not clear to me how EVgo makes money, since selling electricity is not a great business.
EVgo was started by NRG as penance for manipulating electric rates in California. It was similar to VW's punishment.
As far as making money: I do know they had a few technicians who were personally dedicated to keeping their early, poor quality, Nissan-brand CHAdeMO chargers working and their corporate wonks, fortunately, didn't get in their way.

Reactions: moa999
When you're paying >47K for a vehicle, you are probably not too concerned about charging prices.
Not everyone is so simple-minded. Many Tesla owners spend a little more for the car because it's better for the environment. Others do so because they like the design or driving dynamics. The price is not necessarily that much higher, and evens out over time - especially if you don't spend thousands extra for special colors and interiors, FSD, etc. Mine, bought a less than 2 years ago, was about $37K with tax and license, less incentives. The car I replaced was $30K used back in 2006, and the Tesla is much nicer, for my tastes.

PS. I care about charging prices. I only charge at home after midnight, or superchargers during off-peak. I don't use it for long trips, so I have never had to charge during the day.

Depends on priorities too, those can change depending on circumstances... There are times, when I'll pay peak rates at a supercharger because it's convenient... And there are times like the last two weeks, where I went to EA becuase it was free. Like even last night... After driving around all day running errands and going to meetings, I was down to 40% SoC when I went to pick up my kids. Since EA was still free, I just went to EA and charged for free while the kids did their homework in the car.

kWh are a strange product. When you are done charging, all you have is kWh, just as you have gallons in a gas tank after filling. The price of the gallons varies by only a small amount. The price of the kWh varies hugely from free to 60 cents, and it's all about how it's delivered, not just what you get. How fast it's delivered and also where it's delivered make much more difference than the commodity electrons.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
We bought Tesla's because the #1 Supercharging network in America just in case we need to travel out yet we hardly supercharge locally because we charge at home after midnight or I go free L2 charging Tesla destination at a mall near we live which is fortunate because we save hundreds of $ a month :)

Reactions: jsmay311