Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do supercharger users not care about price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We charge at home %95 of the time. Took a trip here in Oregon up to Astoria,Or. from our home in Eugene. We used a Supercharger in Seaside,Or. that costs 40 cents per kilowatt. I figure it was like driving a Prius..about 40 miles per gallon...cost. Not bad.

I still try to find the cheapest SC's along my route.
IE: Lima, MT -- .43~.73 per minute -- Not that good.
Idaho Falls, ID -- .43 per Kwh. Not great but acceptable.
Burley, ID -- .24 per Kwh. -- Great price.
Wells, NV -- .37 per Kwh. -- Not too bad.
Needless to say on my recent trip to West Wendover,, NV. I made sure to arrive at Burley with and near empty electron tank as I dared, and then charged to 99%. Frugal - maybe, Penny pincher - somewhat. But to me its always a challenge to fine the lowest places to charge.

I grew up in the town nextdoor to Cupertino, and I mean that is a very affluent area and if you're going to eat dinner at main street cupertino I don't think you worry too much about supercharger cost. I'd think most people would choose where to eat and charge there if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: jboy210
I grew up in the town nextdoor to Cupertino, and I mean that is a very affluent area and if you're going to eat dinner at main street cupertino I don't think you worry too much about supercharger cost. I'd think most people would choose where to eat and charge there if needed.
It's not that pricey there. I can walk to it. Thus I don't charge there, I never charge within 50 miles of my house. Of course some people there are locals, some not.

Supercharging is 'too fast' to do while eating a sitdown dinner. While the electricity prices are probably nothing for the normal Cupertino clientele (except those struggling to pay their local mortgages), the idle fees would tend to discourage many.
There are, however, Clipper Creek J-1772 stations interspersed among the Cupertino Superchargers which would probably be the preferred choice for diners - leading to much grousing by all (Target (1) | PlugShare).

One of the super chargers at the border of Idaho and Montana, now charges by the minute not by the kilowatt hour. And when you get the bill you don’t even know how many kilowatts were put into the car. I wonder how many more super chargers are going that route. Our local Electrify America chargers also charge by the minute not by the kilowatt.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
One of the super chargers at the border of Idaho and Montana, now charges by the minute not by the kilowatt hour. And when you get the bill you don’t even know how many kilowatts were put into the car. I wonder how many more super chargers are going that route. Our local Electrify America chargers also charge by the minute not by the kilowatt.
Charging by the minute is to get around archaic laws that consider sale of electricity by the KWh to be illegal in order to protect fledgeling power companies.
Of course, they haven't been fledgeling for over a century, nor do they even offer to deliver electricity to EV drivers.
Write your state representatives if you want change. There's little that Tesla or EA can do.

Charging a car owner by the kilowatt would be very strange. Is that like a demand charge?
Charging by the minute is to get around archaic laws that consider sale of electricity by the KWh to be illegal in order to protect fledgeling power companies.
Of course, they haven't been fledgeling for over a century, nor do they even offer to deliver electricity to EV drivers.
Write your state representatives if you want change. There's little that Tesla or EA can do.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/new-supercharger-pricing.246926/#post-6181989
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...cost-goes-up-by-20.266612/page-3#post-6727562

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC

The only SC station that I am aware of in Montana that charges by the minute is in Lima, MT. And that station just changed to minute charges just recently. My thoughts (and I'm probably wrong) is that a few miles away in Dell, MT is an Electrify America charge station that charges by the minute.

I'm not sure how up to date this is, but according to this, Montana is not on the list as being one of the states that allows charging end users per kWh.

Montana isn’t even on the list! We’re pretty backwards when it comes to any EV laws! I don’t think too many of the politicians give a rats arse.
Did they ever install any superchargers near Glacier NP? I know earlier we wanted to go there, and some friends told me that charging is a pain in the ass going to that NP... But this was a few years ago... Not sure if it improved since then?

Did they ever install any superchargers near Glacier NP? I know earlier we wanted to go there, and some friends told me that charging is a pain in the ass going to that NP... But this was a few years ago... Not sure if it improved since then?
I am planning on this trip next year, and do not see any Tesla charging. Just a few CCS chargers at Hyundai dealerships I was planning on using.

Not yet. There’s a few L2 chargers near Whitefish tho. The Town Pump chain is on the list for CCS1 L3’s but who knows when that will happen.

We’ve made several trips to Lincoln NE from our home in Oregon during the pandemic. There is one major route & price isn’t a consideration because until recently the superchargers were much farther apart. Time on the road is a larger issue for us. We have noticed higher rates in California & there are more options on those routes but when compared to gas prices it is far less expensive.
Earlier this month we stayed several days at a hotel in Rancho Cucamonga. The first night I decided to go to a nearby supercharger & checked the navigation system. I noticed that if I waited less than one hour the rate went from 57 to 21 cents. Easy decision to wait a little & save a lot. That was the first time I charged based on price.

I don’t because the price is right.

5D5CC06A-67B1-4F3E-9D58-84649B5AD074.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
We’ve made several trips to Lincoln NE from our home in Oregon during the pandemic. There is one major route & price isn’t a consideration because until recently the superchargers were much farther apart. Time on the road is a larger issue for us. We have noticed higher rates in California & there are more options on those routes but when compared to gas prices it is far less expensive.
Earlier this month we stayed several days at a hotel in Rancho Cucamonga. The first night I decided to go to a nearby supercharger & checked the navigation system. I noticed that if I waited less than one hour the rate went from 57 to 21 cents. Easy decision to wait a little & save a lot. That was the first time I charged based on price.
I shop around. I'm not frugal - but if I can charge at a third or even half off - I do it! Electricity is electricity. It's not like Tesla Superchargers give you premium electricity. I think the rising prices of L3 chargers (and not just Tesla) is pure corporate greed.