Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Tesla’s get slower as they age?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if that will make the car slower since it has degraded some or does it really just come down to the percentage of charge

Unless they modify the amps drawn for a given voltage (or the internal resistance has increased substantially), it may have no impact (beyond LESS TIME at a given performance level). If they maintain discharge rate at a given SoC (effectively means a higher C discharge rate if the capacity has decreased), the peak performance will not be impacted.

I don't think anyone has looked at this too closely (plenty of people have the instrumentation to do so), but my guess is that Tesla doesn't limit the performance if the voltage is available. Internal cell resistance increases due to aging would be really damaging though (less voltage available for a given current and open-circuit voltage), and a decrease in max allowed current draw for a given SoC (voltage) would also have an impact.

Reactions: Raiderfann2001
‘18 RWD here, I feel like it slowed down very early in my ownership right after an OTA just before they released the first AWD models. (My inner conspiracy theorist says they wanted more separation between RWD and AWD). Folks on forums say I just became desensitized to it after my initial Tesla experience.

But I don’t think it has slowed down since, now nearing 50k miles. I’m showing 275 miles at 90% so pleased with battery health, knock on wood. I’m just so damned jealous of you performance and even dual motor guys. Really wish I had waited that extra 6 months.

Reactions: Raiderfann2001