Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Tesla engineers lurk on these forums? Are they aware of the recurring issues I keep reading about on here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure you understand how NDA's work but seems like you've got the answers you're looking for so...all good.
I wasn't saying that I would personally take that risk and violate an NDA, just that in a company that employs thousands of engineers and tens of thousands of other employees, chances are usually good that someone is willing to spill the beans to people outside the company. It is the same reason reporters are able to get scoops from inside the Pentagon or White House or hear about internal corporate issues before they are announced. People like the feeling they get when they share information that others want to hear and don't have privileged access to. Adding a layer of anonymity through an Internet forum makes people even more willing to take that risk.

Again, I wouldn't do it myself, but that doesn't mean no one would.

They are read, and sometimes acted upon internally. More of the engineering trouble teams com post build from codes put in at service request which is why the best thing is to sometimes talk to the service center(via app) before TMC self diagnosing if one wants to help Tesla spot issues etc. Law of numbers help much more than reading the internet forums.

From 2015-2018 Jon McNeill was here as a member, and as President, Global Sales & Service for Tesla. From time to time would help various TMC members out with big picture issues I would call it. I know those aren't exactly your engineers and designers. This was the best interface with the people you want to hear issues. Sometimes those engineer folks aren't the best at interfacing with the public. I know a few. They would agree.

I call those different times with a much different and smaller customer base. Jon was a class act for the customer experience. There is a one man show right now.

The most common issues are:
1) New owner stressing about reported range. How far will my car go? The car says it'll go XXX miles? Is this normal?
2) New owner stressing about getting a flat tire/screw/nail in a tire. What do I do?

Tesla, where many employees are also owners, is paying attention and fixing things.

I've got a LR MY on order and have been reading everything on this forum and other Tesla forums and I keep seeing the same issues over and over, including for cars delivered in the past two weeks:
  • Phantom braking on vision-only cars
  • Rear hatch stops causing buffeting, ear pain, pressure issues, low frequency noise
  • Loud humming from HVAC system when car is off
  • Foul smells from evaporator coil for HVAC system, requiring regular coil cleanings
  • Hood latch issues causing dents in hood by logo
  • and I'm sure I forgot some and I chose not to include paint and panel gaps here
So, do we know if Tesla design/engineering is internally aware of these issues or does knowledge of these issues just stop at the service centers and technicians and not get back to HQ? Are they reading these forums and working on these issues? I think we would all just appreciate an acknowledgment that these issues are known and they are working on fixes, even if the fixes are difficult and may take some time.

I would hope Tesla has folks “silently lurking” on these on-line sites. They can glean info from Service Center visits and telematic info from the car itself, but hearing owners “real-world” comments can help complete the picture of what’s going on. The key I think, is that they remain completely anonymous.

I doubt they have any long term plan.

Turn over at every level is extremely high (sales, service, engineering).

There is essentially no corporate memory and they operate in “fire fighting” mode all the time.

The engineers I know that took jobs at Tesla moved on in 1-2 years. Their silence about the whole situation spoke volumes to me.