Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Tesla facilities use Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just had an ice storm in my area that took down a lot of trees and power lines. I drove past the Blue Ash Service center/supercharger/showroom yesterday and was surprised to see it in total darkness.

The irony of a powerless Tesla facility surrounded by fully charged Tesla's was striking, but I can't imagine that they don't have Powerwall backup.

And, it reminded me again that I wish I could use my Tesla CAR as battery back up for my house.

Their facilities probably would require Powerpacks, not just Powerwalls. I suspect it's a higher priority to make those available for real installations than to use them for backup. Using them just for backup doesn't make financial sense.

Their facilities probably would require Powerpacks, not just Powerwalls. I suspect it's a higher priority to make those available for real installations than to use them for backup. Using them just for backup doesn't make financial sense.
The site mentioned by the OP also has Superchargers, so having the Powerpacks there would also help them save on demand charges from the Supercharging.

The site mentioned by the OP also has Superchargers, so having the Powerpacks there would also help them save on demand charges from the Supercharging.
Not really as the facility's utility hookup is almost definitely separate from the Supercharger's. Even if they're on the same property, the superchargers will have their own utility tie in. If they wanted to be able to support both with Powerpacks, they'd need to install 2 systems.

As for why Tesla's facilities mostly don't have solar or battery storage, those systems have high up-front capital investments with ROI over years. For a company with such a precarious cash position up until this past quarter, it would have been a poor financial decision. Also, since they have apparently been supply limited, Tesla can almost assuredly make more by selling all the units they make instead of self-consuming them. This also helps with their cash flow because most of the sales revenue is mainly paid upfront, so not only are they getting better returns but they have access to the gains much quicker.