Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Tesla patents point to GenIII battery tech?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just came out on Seeking Alpha.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1359601-tesla-patent-applications-reveal-next-generation-ev-technology?source=email_rt_article_readmore

Looks like we might be making actual progress on GenIII that the street can count on. If the patent is any indication, we might actually have a GenIII prototype, instead of all talk and speculation. TSLA might pop on the news tomorrow morning, giving those of you who didn't sell another opportunity to lock in some profits.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1359601-tesla-patent-applications-reveal-next-generation-ev-technology?source=email_rt_article_readmore

Looks like we might be making actual progress on GenIII that the street can count on. If the patent is any indication, we might actually have a GenIII prototype, instead of all talk and speculation. TSLA might pop on the news tomorrow morning, giving those of you who didn't sell another opportunity to lock in some profits.

Very interesting - should be a separate thread!

"typical 500-600 mile tank of a gasoline car" Say what? My 2004 Honda only goes a little over 300.........

When we had the thread (it's somewhere), where everyone was "voting" in a poll on what Elon meant when he said he was "going to put his money where his mouth was in a v major way", I posted the link to the UK company developing the 1,000 mile metal-air battery, and speculated perhaps TSLA was in joint development with them, or maybe buying them, who knows. A combination of a lithium-ion and air battery might be the breakthrough needed, that certainly could drive the Gen 3 release up much sooner (given they need a smaller lithium-ion pack, so lower cost).

Li-air secondary (rechargeable) batteries are in the R&D phase. Assuming the problems are solved, it will take 5-10 years before commercially produced cells are available. Tesla will have their gen 3 BlueStar in production first.

JB Straubel has said what the gen3 battery improvement will be, and it was roughly the same as the Model S battery improvement vs. the Roadster.

GSP

Whatever the time horizon, the patents described could be very valuable.

Three assumptions are necessary:
  1. Range remains a key competitive factor
  2. Non-metal-air batteries don't measure up
  3. Metal-air batteries are viable but hard to charge

If all these three are true, then a hybrid system is the (in hindsight) obvious and brilliant solution. Add the assumption that EV becomes the primary mode of transportation, and you suddenly have a patent for the best concept for motor transport for the 8 billion people on the planet. In that scenario, the patent alone is worth a many times today's market cap.

Phinergy model implies the metal-air battery would be replaced every 1000 or so miles. If the metal-air battery in the hybrid system requires frequent replacement, it could be a non-negotiable item to perspective GEN III owners.

What if the metal-air battery is treated as a "range extender", like the engine in a Chevy Volt, except the standard lithium-ion EV range is 150-200 miles, the lithium air battery is only used on long road trips, or when you happen to not be near a SuperCharger, it's basic purpose is to elliminate range anxiety, it's not for "everyday" use, since its expensive to replace. I think that's the current thinking.

"typical 500-600 mile tank of a gasoline car" Say what? My 2004 Honda only goes a little over 300.........

500-600 miles would be the highway ferry range of a midsize sedan. For example, a Honda Accord with a 17.1 gallon fuel tank, getting 36 MPG avg on the highway, has a theoretical maximum range of 615.6 miles.

My Civic gets about 30 MPG combined, based on my spreadsheet of fuel purchase data (rated 29 MPG combined EPA). Fuel tank holds 13.2 gallons, but I generally fuel up when the warning light comes on after 11 gallons are consumed. Typically I see 320-330 miles of travel per 10.5-11 gallon fillup, when driving in a mix of town and highway.

Li-air secondary (rechargeable) batteries are in the R&D phase. Assuming the problems are solved, it will take 5-10 years before commercially produced cells are available. Tesla will have their gen 3 BlueStar in production first.

JB Straubel has said what the gen3 battery improvement will be, and it was roughly the same as the Model S battery improvement vs. the Roadster.

GSP

may be sooner. Here is a list of patents issued. 6 patents related to battery tech issued in the past two months.

BATTERY MODULE WITH INTEGRATED THERMAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM - Patent application
TESLA MOTORS, INC. - Patent applications