Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Tesla's suddenly brake when another car cuts in front of you on highways?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
while driving home, 55 mph, on the freeway in the city another car jumped about 2 feet in front of me in my lane. Would a Tesla slam on the brakes and cause a pile-up behind me? The car I was driving (not a Tesla) did not have the cruise control and auto slow down engaged so there was not a problem. how do Tesla's handle this situation.

The NN is trained to recognize cut ins. Based on my experience, the car will not freak out.
thx drock1091. I hardly could imagine that it was not handled in the software, I had seen another post about Tesla's abruptly stopping, its good to know this is not one of the causes (hopefully). There is a lot of FUD being peddled out there, I certainly don't want to buy into any of it. Neural Networks, the future.

Last edited:
I had one of these today and the car handled it perfectly. It just slowed down and dropped backed to the trail length I had programmed. I was expecting more aggressive braking and it didn’t happen.
that's great! glad to hear it. Now a new concern about the lack of blind spot monitoring and back up alert for cars or humans approaching when backing out of a crowded and busy parking lot.

Reactions: iansherwood74
You will observe phantom braking when there is atruck in the side lane. Its a known issue. Dont take your hands off steering wheel and feet off your acc pedal on autopilot ever!!!
I get phantom braking also. Also irritating is the late braking when coming up to cars in a jammed area and taking curves really close to the outside lane instead of hugging the inside lane.

Reactions: JonB65
I get phantom braking also. Also irritating is the late braking when coming up to cars in a jammed area and taking curves really close to the outside lane instead of hugging the inside lane.
Agreed. It freaks me out when it does a good job keeping in the center of the lane even when it should be hugging the inside. For example, when either the left-most or right-most lane has retaining wall/barrie.

The NN is trained to recognize cut ins. Based on my experience, the car will not freak out.
I second that as long as the other car is faster than the Tesla. The autopilot will still brake though if the other car is changing into your lane while going slower.

In the latter situation I wouldn't mind the autopilot braking as hard as necessary to avoid an accident. But that's just me as I don't feel responsible for people tailgating me.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
while driving home, 55 mph, on the freeway in the city another car jumped about 2 feet in front of me in my lane. Would a Tesla slam on the brakes and cause a pile-up behind me? The car I was driving (not a Tesla) did not have the cruise control and auto slow down engaged so there was not a problem. how do Tesla's handle this situation.
The only times I have experienced sudden braking are when a car is taking an unprotected left turn from the opposing lane in an intersection. I have experienced this with autopilot and non-autopilot engaged. In my opinion it is a bit to cautious considering both my vehicle and the turning vehicle had plenty of space.

Reactions: iansherwood74
My M3P predicts this before it happens. I was driving with NOA and a car was coming up at a significantly faster speed on my right and I noticed my car slow down just a bit, maybe 5 mph, right before the other car passed me and then he cut me off since there was someone ahead adjacent to me on the other lane.

I wanted to add on to this forum, I also noticed a weird issue in which the current version: 2021.4.15 will freak out with semi-trucks. Navigate on AP thinks the semi is crossing into its lane when the car is next to the trailer part of the semi but the semi is perfectly in its lane. It will just beep. Not sure if anyone has faced this recently or in the past.

My phantom braking is when no one is around, on AP in an HOV lane doing 75, then all of a sudden it brakes very, very suddenly and firmly. I don't use AP on the highway anymore other than in heavy traffic, etc. It is far LESS relaxing at highway speeds not knowing when it will happen.

Reactions: Nautilus802