Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do textile seats kill resale? I'm selling in 12-18 months - ordered wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no such thing as an option that "kills resale". Every option you can order costs you more from the factory than someone will ever pay for it on the used market.
Buy what you want, not what you think the next person wants.

I agree with this.

Also my bet is that the cheaper a car you get now, the less you will lose in total if you only own it for a short period of time. Less money tied up in the car should lead to less money lost on the car.

I agree with this.

Also my bet is that the cheaper a car you get now, the less you will lose in total if you only own it for a short period of time. Less money tied up in the car should lead to less money lost on the car.

The only complication here is that premium cars are notorious for being hard to sell if it lacks leather and a sunroof that many used car buyers expect in a certain type of car. The point being in the used car market that $2,500 sunroof is not actually $2,500. It's depreciated cost is more like $1,500 so it makes that option a better value used as options are only worth a fraction as a used car.

The problem is some may not even bother looking at a car without leather and a sunroof and the seller might have to reduce the price more than the cost of adding leather and a sunroof to attract a buyer. Of course this is all hypothetical and all you need to do is fine just one buyer who will buy the car. The one thing that I am sure of is that the market for a car without leather and a sunroof is less than the market for a car with those two features.

I personally think that Textile will be a limiting factor to your future resale. Despite probably preferring textile at times, they will mentally find it difficult to purchase a car for 50-60k without leather. Especially when a camry can be bought with leather nowadays.

I'd also strongly recommend the pano roof. Anything else, I wouldn't worry.

I couldn't agree more. Textile seats in a $60k car? Really?

He bought a pretty much base 70D. I don't think the textile seats would hurt resale much at all.

If he bought an almost fully loaded 70D, with textile, that would be harder to sell.

I would compare it more to the other luxury vehicles out there for resale than within the line of MS.

After all, those other luxury vehicles are big contributors to how the MS stacks up and contributes to resale value. Again, IMHO . . .

I agree with this.

This is 100% accurate, options ALWAYS depreciate faster than the base vehicle (that's why Tesla values them less on the guaranteed buyback plan than they do the base vehicle)

If you want the car that will depreciate the least over time, you'll buy one with ZERO options, base 60 or 70 RWD, no options.

That said, if you want options, go for it! buy what YOU want, never buy anything for "the next buyer" it's never worth it.

Find it quite hilarious that leather is seen as some sort of ticket to the promised land. In another thread I speculated it was the rich corinthian smell that convinced Cadillac buyers that their $25k premium over the same car from Chevy was worth every penny...

For my Model S I specifically chose the base ("textile" as we're calling here) seats, not only for my taste but also to improve overall resale value.

How ?

1. The Tesla Model S leather seats (both kinds) don't seem to wear over time as well as leather seats in some cars, which means when I go to show my car it will have lumpy, worn leather seats. Instead, I'll be showing an interior that will be nearly showroom condition as long as I take care.

2. Seats are one of the easiest items to upgrade in-place (eg. upholstery as some have suggested) or replace outright, so if it turns out that only the Model S cars with leather are selling, then put in some leather seats, even Tesla ones from a wreck if you want. Or buy new from Tesla.

The Next Gen seats are a better fit (literally) for frequent spirited driving, though. There's no denying that, I still miss them from a loaner months back...

I get nothing but complements from the base seats eg. "wow they're comfortable" etc. Not one person yet has commented that I didn't get leather.

We went with the base textile seats. They are (so far) impervious to anything our small boys have thrown at them, unlike the leather seats in our Honda Odyssey. I also find them more comfortable than the leather Teslas seats down here in the south florida heat. Get what you want and enjoy.

I very much want Autopilot 2.0 but I can't handle the wait any longer - so I finally hit the purchase button on an inventory car a couple minutes ago. Rather than lease (and be locked in for 3 years - I think AP 2.0 hardware is 1 year away, max), my strategy is to buy the cheapest AP Tesla I could find and plan to simply take the hit and sell it when Autopilot 2.0 is released - and at that point buy my loaded dream Tesla which I will keep for 10-15 years (as I usually do with cars).

But now I'm worried that having purchased textile seats is/was a mistake - am I going to lose *more* than $2,500 (vs the Next Gen seats) on re-sale because people don't want expensive cars with cloth seats?

Thanks for any advice.

I'm a huge advocate for textile, so much so that I ordered them on both cars. But to address your value concerns, if you trade in your car with Tesla, you'll basically just get the value back out that you didn't put back in. This is especially true if you are going straight into another Tesla, I would doubt you would go private party sale. But even if you do go private party, you are going to either attract the market that prefers textile seats or is willing to live with them. No one is going to see it and say "oh, it doesn't have leather? my offer just dropped $2500".

Most of you missed the OP's question. "Will textile seats hurt resale". The OP is not asking who likes textile verses leather the OP is asking if textile will hurt resale and the answer is YES. People seeking textile over leather is very slim and most looking to buy a car in this price range want leather.

So to answer the OP's question. Yes it will hurt your resale and it will also take you a lot longer to sell it. I know, I have bought and sold 7 Tesla's since 2013. 1 of them had textile and it took me forever to sell and I lost on that sale, the dealership that bought it from me lost $5K and it took them 7 months to sell it and this was in the height of Tesla's popularity. Now that has slowed people are more and more picky, trust me I know.

Find it quite hilarious that leather is seen as some sort of ticket to the promised land. In another thread I speculated it was the rich corinthian smell that convinced Cadillac buyers that their $25k premium over the same car from Chevy was worth every penny...

For my Model S I specifically chose the base ("textile" as we're calling here) seats, not only for my taste but also to improve overall resale value.

How ?

1. The Tesla Model S leather seats (both kinds) don't seem to wear over time as well as leather seats in some cars, which means when I go to show my car it will have lumpy, worn leather seats. Instead, I'll be showing an interior that will be nearly showroom condition as long as I take care.

2. Seats are one of the easiest items to upgrade in-place (eg. upholstery as some have suggested) or replace outright, so if it turns out that only the Model S cars with leather are selling, then put in some leather seats, even Tesla ones from a wreck if you want. Or buy new from Tesla.

The Next Gen seats are a better fit (literally) for frequent spirited driving, though. There's no denying that, I still miss them from a loaner months back...

I get nothing but complements from the base seats eg. "wow they're comfortable" etc. Not one person yet has commented that I didn't get leather.
I doubt if your giving someone a ride they are going to tell you your seats suck. Haha. But as stated, it is personal preference. For me personally, i thoughy it was a joke they didnt offer the leather seats standard, not that i dont like textile seats, but when i think of a 50k+ car or even a 30k+ car, i think of leather seats no question about it.