Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the 2021’s have a softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just curious for you guys who swapped tires and say its night and day. You've absolutely confirmed the tire pressure was the same on both sets of tires? Asking because tesla can sometimes deliver cars at 45 psi and its a HUGE difference if you adjust the tire pressure down.
45 psi on all tires. I'm coming from the 21s, and to be honest I didn't mind the ride at all. I actually liked the sport "feel". That said, I first tried Bridgestone Quiettracks on my 19" Martians, the ride was a small improvement over the 21s. I didn't like the Quiettracks for a number of reasons, so I returned them. The Vredestein Quatrac Pros are quieter, smoother ride and have better efficiency. They do outstanding in the dry and wet. They do very good in the snow. The ride is still sporty, but definitely leaning towards a luxury sport feel now. One road I drive on had a whole lot of small bumps, very annoying. The bumps are gone now. If I didn't know better, I'd think they re-paved the road.

How do you know they pumped a lot of deadening material into the front? Did you pull something apart to find this fact?

I read the reports on the Model Y upgrade. They listed four changes: 1) Increased range 2) Laminate windows 3) Increased insulation in the cabin and 4) Upgraded heat pump. Whatever they did, it worked exceptionally well. It is quieter than my X and much quieter than the previous Model Ys I have driven. Almost feels like a vacuum when closing the doors. In fact some of complained about it taking extra energy to fully close the doors.

Hey Breatheasier, have you had a chance to compare the part numbers for the springs and shocks yet to see if there’s been a change?

Haven't been able to do so yet, but at this point, I went forward and ordered a set of dual rate linear comfort springs in stock-height from UPP. They were inexpensive enough, and even if the MY springs were changed in 2021, I can't imagine anything from Tesla will be free, and I'm not going to hold my breath for when/if they become available. My assertion is that the UPP springs will be more well-engineered/advanced than the stock Tesla springs anyway.

I read the reports on the Model Y upgrade. They listed four changes: 1) Increased range 2) Laminate windows 3) Increased insulation in the cabin and 4) Upgraded heat pump. Whatever they did, it worked exceptionally well. It is quieter than my X and much quieter than the previous Model Ys I have driven. Almost feels like a vacuum when closing the doors. In fact some of complained about it taking extra energy to fully close the doors.

@Scott Fairchild - Who is "they" in your sentence? The increased range went to all MYs, this was a software upgrade. The laminate windows have been verified. Not sure about "upgraded heat pump". Need to know more about what that means, and what VIN was impacted. My heat pump works great, VIN 9xxx, and no noise/issues, and it heats/cools well. If the increased insulation is a response to what Munro found in the A pillars, then that makes sense. I was thinking I could remove the inner covering on the lower A pillars and check my own MY to see if the insulation is insufficient and then empty a can of spray-foam down in there, which is essentially looks similar to what they did at the factory. If there is other insulation, it would be good to know what that is, because it should be easy to retrofit. The other upgrades we know are confirmed are electrochromatic, self-dimming side view mirrors. That one hurts me the most, because I seem to get blinded constantly, even making adjustments. I've had self-dimming mirrors for many years, and simply love them, but it doesn't look like they can be retrofitted, because the wiring isn't in the doors.

Help Can anyone who has taken delivery of a 2021 Y noticed an improvement in cabin noise and ride quality over the 2020 they tested. I am about to pick up my 62xxx Vin at the end of this week. I took an overnight test drive in a 2020 LR AWD Gemini wheels 39xxx Vin last week and found the ride extremely harsh and the tire noise pretty bad particularly on chip and seal surfaces that predominate on the farm to market roads here in the western Texas hill country on which 75% of my driving occurs. I have read rumors that the suspension is softer, and insulation better on the 2021’s. My dealer does not have any 2021’s available for a test drive, with the 7 day return policy no longer available I am reluctant to roll the dice and accept delivery then find out that it is no better than the one I tested. For the record I am comparing to my Chevy Bolt which is hardly the quietest best riding vehicle in the world, but is a lot better than the 2020 Y I tested particularly on these surfaces.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Took delivery of my 2021 Model Y (64xxx
Help Can anyone who has taken delivery of a 2021 Y noticed an improvement in cabin noise and ride quality over the 2020 they tested. I am about to pick up my 62xxx Vin at the end of this week. I took an overnight test drive in a 2020 LR AWD Gemini wheels 39xxx Vin last week and found the ride extremely harsh and the tire noise pretty bad particularly on chip and seal surfaces that predominate on the farm to market roads here in the western Texas hill country on which 75% of my driving occurs. I have read rumors that the suspension is softer, and insulation better on the 2021’s. My dealer does not have any 2021’s available for a test drive, with the 7 day return policy no longer available I am reluctant to roll the dice and accept delivery then find out that it is no better than the one I tested. For the record I am comparing to my Chevy Bolt which is hardly the quietest best riding vehicle in the world, but is a lot better than the 2020 Y I tested particularly on these surfaces.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Took delivery of my 2021 Model Y (vin 64xxx) a week and a half ago and am finding the interior noise much quieter withb the double pane windows. The ride is firm even in the comfort setting. Could really use the air suspension.

Took delivery of my 2021 Model Y (64xxx

Took delivery of my 2021 Model Y (vin 64xxx) a week and a half ago and am finding the interior noise much quieter withb the double pane windows. The ride is firm even in the comfort setting. Could really use the air suspension.
I see people say this all the time, but the "comfort" setting is for the steering feel only. It has nothing to do with the suspension and won't impact the ride quality.

I also took delivery of my 2021 Model Y (vin 63xxx) a couple weeks ago. I got a quote for installing the UP Luxury Model Y coils for $3400 from a local shop that UP recommended (includes ordering the part and the install). The first quote which I failed to screenshot was for install alone and was for something like 745.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
45 psi on all tires. I'm coming from the 21s, and to be honest I didn't mind the ride at all. I actually liked the sport "feel". That said, I first tried Bridgestone Quiettracks on my 19" Martians, the ride was a small improvement over the 21s. I didn't like the Quiettracks for a number of reasons, so I returned them. The Vredestein Quatrac Pros are quieter, smoother ride and have better efficiency. They do outstanding in the dry and wet. They do very good in the snow. The ride is still sporty, but definitely leaning towards a luxury sport feel now. One road I drive on had a whole lot of small bumps, very annoying. The bumps are gone now. If I didn't know better, I'd think they re-paved the road.

I still think 45 psi is way too high. Drop to 41-42.

For me it was night and day with the Vredesteins. And my family is no longer upset. Is it "luxury"? Hell, no. It can still 'pogo-stick' over rough road for sure. I've been precisely at 42lbs on both the Contis and Vredesteins. I'm always on top of my tire pressure.

Good to know - I'm really surprised the conti's were that bad at 42. I suggested tire pressure because alot of people don't realize how much of an impct it makes, and I experienced it myself in my model 3.

Good thing for me is that I ordered the car with geminis so I could buy aftermarket 20" wheels with tires of my choosing and then sell the geminis. Annnd I went with the quatrac pros! Can't wait. Delivery is Friday, and going immediately to the tire shop to get the new wheels mounted and balanced.

@Scott Fairchild Im also interested in what VIN that you tried.

I test drove a 69XXX w/ laminated windows and it was barely any quieter than my 2018 M3. I’ve seen no proof whatsoever of increased insulation or upgraded heat pump.

6619x in my garage, drive it every day. It is quieter than my X. The heat pump no longer has the Home Depot strap around it. Feel like a vacuum when closing the doors. Have heard some complain about increased force in having to close doors. Makes sense. Much more solid cabin although it may be in the eyes of the beholder.

You said barely quieter, then you said no proof. Conflicting.

Haven't been able to do so yet, but at this point, I went forward and ordered a set of dual rate linear comfort springs in stock-height from UPP. They were inexpensive enough, and even if the MY springs were changed in 2021, I can't imagine anything from Tesla will be free, and I'm not going to hold my breath for when/if they become available. My assertion is that the UPP springs will be more well-engineered/advanced than the stock Tesla springs anyway.

@Scott Fairchild - Who is "they" in your sentence? The increased range went to all MYs, this was a software upgrade. The laminate windows have been verified. Not sure about "upgraded heat pump". Need to know more about what that means, and what VIN was impacted. My heat pump works great, VIN 9xxx, and no noise/issues, and it heats/cools well. If the increased insulation is a response to what Munro found in the A pillars, then that makes sense. I was thinking I could remove the inner covering on the lower A pillars and check my own MY to see if the insulation is insufficient and then empty a can of spray-foam down in there, which is essentially looks similar to what they did at the factory. If there is other insulation, it would be good to know what that is, because it should be easy to retrofit. The other upgrades we know are confirmed are electrochromatic, self-dimming side view mirrors. That one hurts me the most, because I seem to get blinded constantly, even making adjustments. I've had self-dimming mirrors for many years, and simply love them, but it doesn't look like they can be retrofitted, because the wiring isn't in the doors.

"They" The comprehensive review video online which listed the Model Y upgrades. Sorry, unable to get a screenshot. Don't recall where at this point. This forum is to share information. I shared the information. If you don't value the information, so be it. Go look it up yourself. I am not about to disassemble my vehicle and create rattles to prove a point. Just sharing information. Have at it, if you wish. In fact check the copper cable on the electric motor if you want.

I know it is quieter than my X and that is fine with me. I don't have time for your pettiness.

I just swapped from 19"s into 18"s for my winter set and it noticeably softens the ride. We have bad roads leading into where we live and I wanted more sidewall, this really helps. PSI was set at 42.

I went with Tesla Aero wheels from the Model 3 because I plan to still use the aero covers to maximize range on road trips. Also cost was lower ($2200 for the full set including TPMS sensors and aero covers) compared with most other options I've looked at.

I went with 235/55/18 tire size, 104T XL rated (General Altimax Arctic 12 based on good reviews on TireRack). The tire is narrower than stock by 20mm and outer diameter is just a fraction of percent larger. Perhaps giving up some of the performance edge but I'm OK with that for my winter set. Car still feels crazy fast with the new set and I like having the softer rubber as the temperature drops. My Model Y VIN is 60xx.

Reactions: Stach
"They" The comprehensive review video online which listed the Model Y upgrades. Sorry, unable to get a screenshot. Don't recall where at this point. This forum is to share information. I shared the information. If you don't value the information, so be it. Go look it up yourself. I am not about to disassemble my vehicle and create rattles to prove a point. Just sharing information. Have at it, if you wish. In fact check the copper cable on the electric motor if you want.

I know it is quieter than my X and that is fine with me. I don't have time for your pettiness.

No idea where you are getting your tone from, but I guess, forums, like email, are abysmal for conveying tone. I was simply asking questions and pointing out what I know and have experienced to date. Sites like Evannex (who could be they) have been very, very wrong in their assertions of either what is coming 'next' with Teslas, or what has been 'upgraded', which is why I asked. In no way was trying to be petty. I have no issue searching on my own for an upgrades review.

6619x in my garage, drive it every day. It is quieter than my X. The heat pump no longer has the Home Depot strap around it. Feel like a vacuum when closing the doors. Have heard some complain about increased force in having to close doors. Makes sense. Much more solid cabin although it may be in the eyes of the beholder.

You said barely quieter, then you said no proof. Conflicting.
What are you talking about? I own a model 3 and have measured the sound compared to the 69XXX MY I test drove and did not hear or measure any noticeable difference between the two.

By "Model Y upgrade" i assume you mean 2021 model, which the 69XXX one i test drove was. There has been confirmed proof of 1) and 2) but i've seen no proof that there is 3) increased insulation in the 2021 Model Y nor have I seen proof that 4) there has been any change to the heat pump. Where are you getting these "reports"?

• Informative
Reactions: tierneyalvin
(AFAIK, VINs aren't sequential, so comparing "improvements" looking at VINs is futile.)

Good point. Probably general guidelines, but not solid. Also, with upgrades throughout the year, the plant line probably adds things as they become available from the supplier. Makes sense. That is why I got double panes and increased insulation, but no dimming mirrors and USB in glovebox.