Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the 2021’s have a softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help Can anyone who has taken delivery of a 2021 Y noticed an improvement in cabin noise and ride quality over the 2020 they tested. I am about to pick up my 62xxx Vin at the end of this week. I took an overnight test drive in a 2020 LR AWD Gemini wheels 39xxx Vin last week and found the ride extremely harsh and the tire noise pretty bad particularly on chip and seal surfaces that predominate on the farm to market roads here in the western Texas hill country on which 75% of my driving occurs. I have read rumors that the suspension is softer, and insulation better on the 2021’s. My dealer does not have any 2021’s available for a test drive, with the 7 day return policy no longer available I am reluctant to roll the dice and accept delivery then find out that it is no better than the one I tested. For the record I am comparing to my Chevy Bolt which is hardly the quietest best riding vehicle in the world, but is a lot better than the 2020 Y I tested particularly on these surfaces.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I’d love to have this info too Bluejug. Rather than in Texas I’m in Southern California and the freeway expansion joints here will beat you up in a stiff suspension. I’m planning on buying one when my current lease Is up end of December, but I’m waiting to find out if Tesla has done anything to fix the harsh suspension. I took a test drive in July and thought it was way too stiff of a ride then. I’m hoping that they’ve figured out no one wants a buck board ride in their new 50k plus new car. I’m extremely surprised they even put it out this way to begin with. What were they thinking? Let’s hope it’s improved.

Reactions: Electroman
I’d love to have this info too Bluejug. Rather than in Texas I’m in Southern California and the freeway expansion joints here will beat you up in a stiff suspension. I’m planning on buying one when my current lease Is up end of December, but I’m waiting to find out if Tesla has done anything to fix the harsh suspension. I took a test drive in July and thought it was way too stiff of a ride then. I’m hoping that they’ve figured out no one wants a buck board ride in their new 50k plus new car. I’m extremely surprised they even put it out this way to begin with. What were they thinking? Let’s hope it’s improved.

If they make it too soft, people will complain about body roll and lack of feeling. Can't win either way

This is my number one concern.

pdxrunr reported your concern:
So my wife and I test drove a 2020 MY Long Range three weeks ago and found it very rough. So much so that I was planning on getting some coil overs like I have on my 3. The 2021 MY we ordered arrived today and it is night and day softer and smoother. Same tires, same air pressure, etc. I have no idea if they changed anything, but I feel like the springs have to be softer. I'm no longer getting the coils as it's great. So just another data point to consider, but our 2021 is way different that the 2020 we test drove. Anyone else drive a 2020 and a 2021?

Still, I need a sample size bigger than one.

Subscribed.

Noflash, I saw that post as well and I’m with you ... we need a bigger data pool than one to determine if the 21’s are a softer suspension than the 2020 cars. I’m glad Bluejug is asking this question. Hopefully some of the new 2021 model y owners will post up and chime in on their new cars and let us know how they feel the suspension rides.

I wonder how long before the 2021 cars will find their way into the showrooms as test drive vehicles so we can all see for ourselves if there’s been any changes in the suspension. For me the ride quality is the big question on whether or not I could live with the car on a daily basis. I want a comfy ride and not a bumppity bumppity ride going down the freeway. Im currently in a Lexus RX and I think the suspension in that car is perfect for an suv. A friend has a model 3 without the upgraded softer springs they came out with later and I could never live with his car. He likes it though. After 30 min I’m so done and want to get out.

Someone did post about talk of an air suspension for the model y, but there’s been talk for years about this with the 3 and still no air for that car. But for the model y as an suv an air suspension like in the X would be perfect. Anyone know anything more about this?

Reactions: Electroman
I'm getting to the point where I'm altering my route due to the bounciness, and I have the 19's. If the springs and dampers have changed on the 21s, that would be great to know. Assuming the price is equal or less than what MPP/UPP want for their aftermarket setups, this will be the route I go as I too believe that air suspension isn't going to happen (ask M3 and MS folks who have been waiting forever).

Yea air won’t happen I’m giving up . The mountainpass ones were supposed to help but according to m3 mountainpass comfort coil overs, they are supposed to just lower the car while offering same level of comfort.
I heard the issue is the bumpstock is always engaged. I wonder if I can lemon the car because it’s way too stiff. I drove my Porsche Boxster that’s low to the ground and it felt like I was on a cloud compared to riding on a horse in the Y

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Yea air won’t happen I’m giving up . The mountainpass ones were supposed to help but according to m3 mountainpass comfort coil overs, they are supposed to just lower the car while offering same level of comfort.
I heard the issue is the bumpstock is always engaged. I wonder if I can lemon the car because it’s way too stiff. I drove my Porsche Boxster that’s low to the ground and it felt like I was on a cloud compared to riding on a horse in the Y

The bump stop should only be felt when bottoming out the car. Offroad world uses something like this to solve it. King 2.0" Air Bump Stop I would be very surprised if the Mountain Pass coilover kit doesn’t greatly improve the ride quality. The ride height on them is also adjustable

Last edited:
I have the Long Range Model Y, 19" factory wheels and tires. Sometimes I feel the ride is too firm but other times it feels fine. The only thing that could be different as far as I can tell is the outside air temperature and the road surface. I regularly check my tire pressure, recently set all 4 tires to 43 PSI cold anticipating that the temperature is falling. I am already observing 41 PSI readings in the A.M. when it is coldest. I honestly haven't noticed much difference in the ride comfort between 41/42/43 PSI.

I have the Long Range Model Y, 19" factory wheels and tires. Sometimes I feel the ride is too firm but other times it feels fine. The only thing that could be different as far as I can tell is the outside air temperature and the road surface. I regularly check my tire pressure, recently set all 4 tires to 43 PSI cold anticipating that the temperature is falling. I am already observing 41 PSI readings in the A.M. when it is coldest. I honestly haven't noticed much difference in the ride comfort between 41/42/43 PSI.

I have the 19" wheels and I lowered the pressure from 42 to 38 psig and didn't notice much of a difference in ride quality

• Informative
Bluejug if you were not happy with the 2020 test ride (which I don’t blame you and know exactly what your complaining about) I wouldn’t expect 2021 to be that much better. Despite it getting slight improvements. I have seen so many posts on Model 3 that say it’s better now, it’s better now then the very next post like yours that can’t tolerate the latest instance of it.

Take a Model S or X for a test drive ;)

I drove a friend's 2020 a few weeks ago and picked up my 2021 this week, both with 19" wheels. I wouldn't say I could detect any difference in the ride. It's been one of my most serious reservations about buying a Model 3/Y (the other being the ridiculously small and dark rear window) but my friend insisted that you get used to the ride so I decided to commit.

• Informative
Bluejug if you were not happy with the 2020 test ride (which I don’t blame you and know exactly what your complaining about) I wouldn’t expect 2021 to be that much better. Despite it getting slight improvements. I have seen so many posts on Model 3 that say it’s better now, it’s better now then the very next post like yours that can’t tolerate the latest instance of it.

Take a Model S or X for a test drive ;)

Mswlogo. thanks for the advice I may just do that! I want so much to love this vehicle but it just keeps on disappointing me.
Thanks everyone for the input I think I’ve got my answer.

I picked up my 2021 MY LR MSM with 19” wheels last Friday 10/30. We have the premium seating so I think that makes a bit of a difference as the 2020 we test drove had the standard seating and the M3 we test drive had the premium seating. My vin is in the 63xxx’s. I live in the Chicago area where pot holes and poor street maintenance is just what you live with and I can say it handles everything very well. I purposely got the 19” wheels because feedback from this and other forums indicated a better ride even though the 20” wheels are sweet. I do think the improvement I feel is mostly due to the seating upgrade though. The bumps and other street obstacles seem about the same as in my old Audi A6.