Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the 2021’s have a softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY is at my SC right now getting the stock Continentals swapped out and Vredesteins Quatrac Pros installed. These tires have been amazing on other cars I own, and their ride quality has been night-and-day against other major brands. I will report back after pickup and a few days of break-in, but I do expect a better ride...maybe not where I want it to be (which still may require MPP or UPP suspension), but I do expect it to be better.

At a minimum, the Vredesteins will be much better winter tires than the Continentals here in the East.

I picked up my 2021 MY LR MSM with 19” wheels last Friday 10/30. We have the premium seating so I think that makes a bit of a difference as the 2020 we test drove had the standard seating and the M3 we test drive had the premium seating. My vin is in the 63xxx’s. I live in the Chicago area where pot holes and poor street maintenance is just what you live with and I can say it handles everything very well. I purposely got the 19” wheels because feedback from this and other forums indicated a better ride even though the 20” wheels are sweet. I do think the improvement I feel is mostly due to the seating upgrade though. The bumps and other street obstacles seem about the same as in my old Audi A6.

What do you mean by "premium seating"? I thought that all seats were the same except that some were black and some are white

My MY is at my SC right now getting the stock Continentals swapped out and Vredesteins Quatrac Pros installed. These tires have been amazing on other cars I own, and their ride quality has been night-and-day against other major brands. I will report back after pickup and a few days of break-in, but I do expect a better ride...maybe not where I want it to be (which still may require MPP or UPP suspension), but I do expect it to be better.

At a minimum, the Vredesteins will be much better winter tires than the Continentals here in the East.

Hey BreathEasier, so glad to hear you are installing the VQP’s on your MY. I’m excited to hear how it changes the comfort in the ride of the MY. We’ve got a set on our 2015 MS and they made the car much more comfortable. We had the OEM Michelin’s on the car when we got it and they were hard. Much different with the Vredesteins. They smoothed out the ride and sharp bumps became much smoother and a lot more comfortable. Plus the tires are silent. It was a big difference. And we have the 19” wheels and air suspension and the Michelin’s were still uncomfortable. So ... please post up your thoughts soon! Looking forward to hearing if they make enough of a difference in the MY. Thanks!

Hey BreathEasier, so glad to hear you are installing the VQP’s on your MY. I’m excited to hear how it changes the comfort in the ride of the MY. We’ve got a set on our 2015 MS and they made the car much more comfortable. We had the OEM Michelin’s on the car when we got it and they were hard. Much different with the Vredesteins. They smoothed out the ride and sharp bumps became much smoother and a lot more comfortable. Plus the tires are silent. It was a big difference. And we have the 19” wheels and air suspension and the Michelin’s were still uncomfortable. So ... please post up your thoughts soon! Looking forward to hearing if they make enough of a difference in the MY. Thanks!

UPDATE: I picked up my car from the SC today with the new Quatrac Pros mounted. What a major difference! Like they replaced MY with a different suspension. The NVH is considerably lower. The road noise seems much more muffled - almost serene. All the small imperfections I could feel with the Contis are well-muted. Moderate imperfections in the road feel completely different. Steering effort is slightly lighter, and turn-in is crisp, with excellent grip on corners/ I took a couple of off-ramps quickly today and it felt planted. It seriously feels like I'm driving a different car.

Now of course, the rear "bounciness" of the suspension didn't go away, as no tire is going to fix that. The tires fixed the NVH/roughness of the smaller imperfections that were grating on all of us. I'm running 42psi all around, and after ~35 miles of driving, I'm beyond pleased. My family and I can actually enjoy driving the MY now on long trips. And the price on Tirerack is so low for the Quatrac Pros, it was a no-brainer. I kept the Contis and will sell them cheap to someone who wants to keep with their stock tires and would simply want to have spares just in case. They are practically brand new.

I'm about to go on about 350 miles of driving soon, and I'll report back after that trip to see the Wh/Mi impact. I can't take the Wh/Mi seriously yet, as my Contis didn't settle in until about 1000 miles. But on my ~35mi trip, mix of 68mph highway and stop/go, I ended with 258 Wh/mi. I've averaged 254 Wh/Mi over 3500 miles since new. Many trips with the Contis I could get down into 220/225 Wh/Mi, even with a couple of hours of 60-65mph stretches. I'm sure the ride quality will improve as they break-in, too, which I look forward to.

Noflash, I saw that post as well and I’m with you ... we need a bigger data pool than one to determine if the 21’s are a softer suspension than the 2020 cars. I’m glad Bluejug is asking this question. Hopefully some of the new 2021 model y owners will post up and chime in on their new cars and let us know how they feel the suspension rides.

I wonder how long before the 2021 cars will find their way into the showrooms as test drive vehicles so we can all see for ourselves if there’s been any changes in the suspension. For me the ride quality is the big question on whether or not I could live with the car on a daily basis. I want a comfy ride and not a bumppity bumppity ride going down the freeway. Im currently in a Lexus RX and I think the suspension in that car is perfect for an suv. A friend has a model 3 without the upgraded softer springs they came out with later and I could never live with his car. He likes it though. After 30 min I’m so done and want to get out.

Someone did post about talk of an air suspension for the model y, but there’s been talk for years about this with the 3 and still no air for that car. But for the model y as an suv an air suspension like in the X would be perfect. Anyone know anything more about this?
I believe the Y is manufactured to be compatible with the air suspension. May just have to wait for that.

UPDATE: I picked up my car from the SC today with the new Quatrac Pros mounted. What a major difference! Like they replaced MY with a different suspension. The NVH is considerably lower. The road noise seems much more muffled - almost serene. All the small imperfections I could feel with the Contis are well-muted. Moderate imperfections in the road feel completely different. Steering effort is slightly lighter, and turn-in is crisp, with excellent grip on corners/ I took a couple of off-ramps quickly today and it felt planted. It seriously feels like I'm driving a different car.

Now of course, the rear "bounciness" of the suspension didn't go away, as no tire is going to fix that. The tires fixed the NVH/roughness of the smaller imperfections that were grating on all of us. I'm running 42psi all around, and after ~35 miles of driving, I'm beyond pleased. My family and I can actually enjoy driving the MY now on long trips. And the price on Tirerack is so low for the Quatrac Pros, it was a no-brainer. I kept the Contis and will sell them cheap to someone who wants to keep with their stock tires and would simply want to have spares just in case. They are practically brand new.

I'm about to go on about 350 miles of driving soon, and I'll report back after that trip to see the Wh/Mi impact. I can't take the Wh/Mi seriously yet, as my Contis didn't settle in until about 1000 miles. But on my ~35mi trip, mix of 68mph highway and stop/go, I ended with 258 Wh/mi. I've averaged 254 Wh/Mi over 3500 miles since new. Many trips with the Contis I could get down into 220/225 Wh/Mi, even with a couple of hours of 60-65mph stretches. I'm sure the ride quality will improve as they break-in, too, which I look forward to.

Picking my car up Monday and already have the same tires from Tire Rack ready to put on.

BreatheEasier - what is NVH? And did the Tesla Service Center mount your new tires? If so, what did they charge you for the service and did you just bring them the tires after tire rack shipped them to your house?

So glad to hear that you are enjoying the new tires and that they made a significant difference in positive ride quality for you. I was thinking that besides going with the comfort coilover route replacement of the tires with the VQP might offer a nice improvement from my experience with them on the MS and you were able to confirm that. Thanks for taking the lead on this one! We love these tires on the MS. My wife drives that car and even she noticed the big improvement and loves her new tires. let us know how your rode trip goes and any other thoughts as you break the tires in. Thanks!

The white and black seats are an upgrade and IMO totally worth the extra cash..
An upgrade from the seats in a Model 3? Where do you find the option to upgrade the seats when configuring either the Long Range Dual Motor or the Long Range Performance Model Y? The seven seat variant of the Model Y is not yet shipping. I am very confused by your post.

UPDATE 2: I just drove a 175 mile trip, 60% highway at 60-70mph. Again, drove like a completely different vehicle. Smooth as glass, no more vibration above 60 mph, super quiet, very stable, no wander. Much more enjoyable to drive. ~200 miles on the tires, and 264 Wh/Mi getting here, 68 degrees average outside. Light wind. Last trip on the Contis, similar weather, 254 Wh/Mi, and that was with well over 1500 miles on those tires, and as those tires broke in, my Wh/Mi definitely went down, so I expect to land close to 254 Wh/Mi on the Quatrac Pros as I get miles on them.

Bottom line, I strongly recommend to those who have the means to move to these tires from the stock Contis.

I switched from the stock 21s to 19s with Bridgestone Quiettracks (255/45-19) to Vredestein Quatrac Pros. (255/45-19) First off, let me say that I really liked the 21s and didn't mind the ride at all. I did not like the Quiettracks which is why I returned them. I love the Quatrac Pros!!!! Quiet, smoother ride, they handle great in both the wet and the dry. Many small bumps I used to feel on one road are just gone; if I didn't know better I'd swear they re-paved the street. It still handles like a sports sedan, so if you are looking for a mushy luxury car ride I would say to look elsewhere. But if you are looking for a more refined but still sporty feel, the Vredesteins are worth looking at.

Also, the 2021s have the laminated glass windows which should reduce wind and tire noise as well. (Yes I know it was a running change and not a model year change, but still, any Y bought in 2021 should have the laminated glass.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White

So Agree!!! Continentals are garbage!!! Blowouts rapid treadwear, no service.

Does the Y come from the factory with Continental tires? Hope not!!!![
DC622FEB-B283-4CDF-B7A7-78FEC4D53E5C.jpeg F2CD5178-3A78-43EC-BCF3-7093E7EB9AFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Help Can anyone who has taken delivery of a 2021 Y noticed an improvement in cabin noise and ride quality over the 2020 they tested. I am about to pick up my 62xxx Vin at the end of this week. I took an overnight test drive in a 2020 LR AWD Gemini wheels 39xxx Vin last week and found the ride extremely harsh and the tire noise pretty bad particularly on chip and seal surfaces that predominate on the farm to market roads here in the western Texas hill country on which 75% of my driving occurs. I have read rumors that the suspension is softer, and insulation better on the 2021’s. My dealer does not have any 2021’s available for a test drive, with the 7 day return policy no longer available I am reluctant to roll the dice and accept delivery then find out that it is no better than the one I tested. For the record I am comparing to my Chevy Bolt which is hardly the quietest best riding vehicle in the world, but is a lot better than the 2020 Y I tested particularly on these surfaces.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Well I took the plunge and accepted delivery today of my Model Y despite my reservations. The car was in excellent shape only issue of any note so far is a miss aligned passenger taillight and a small missalaignment of the passenger Door. I can report that the ride is defiantly better than the Demo I Tested last week, not a night and day improvement but not quite as harsh. Car also confirm that the low regen mode option has disappeared from the driving options. Based on the feedback in this thread I my defiantly going to try a set of Vredesteins Quatrac Pros and possibly a set Martian Wheels MW03’s.
Again thanks all for your inputs.

Blue LR AWD Gemini’s Vin#624xx

Well I took the plunge and accepted delivery today of my Model Y despite my reservations. The car was in excellent shape only issue of any note so far is a miss aligned passenger taillight and a small missalaignment of the passenger Door. I can report that the ride is defiantly better than the Demo I Tested last week, not a night and day improvement but not quite as harsh. Car also confirm that the low regen mode option has disappeared from the driving options. Based on the feedback in this thread I my defiantly going to try a set of Vredesteins Quatrac Pros and possibly a set Martian Wheels MW03’s.
Again thanks all for your inputs.

Blue LR AWD Gemini’s Vin#624xx

Was the demo a 2020 LR with 19"? Many of the demo MYs I've seen at the SC are either 20" or PUP. I've actually yet to see one with 19". Either 20 or 21s will certainly be harsher. If the demo had 19s, I'm still very curious if the 2nd part number in the Tesla Parts Catalog is a follow-on spring for the 2021s. I'd be interested in retrofitting that if it is truly the case. It looks like a pretty straightforward job to change out the rear springs.

I picked up my 2021 MY LR MSM with 19” wheels last Friday 10/30. We have the premium seating so I think that makes a bit of a difference as the 2020 we test drove had the standard seating and the M3 we test drive had the premium seating. My vin is in the 63xxx’s. I live in the Chicago area where pot holes and poor street maintenance is just what you live with and I can say it handles everything very well. I purposely got the 19” wheels because feedback from this and other forums indicated a better ride even though the 20” wheels are sweet. I do think the improvement I feel is mostly due to the seating upgrade though. The bumps and other street obstacles seem about the same as in my old Audi A6.
.....wait what? there is only one interior.....