Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the 2021’s have a softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a piece of info: I've asked 2 friends who've recently bought MY's (2021) if they perceived them as noisy or harsh and they both said no.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to ride in their cars to compare, but these are both guys in their 60's who've had decent cars for a while.
I think the newer ones must be better insulated from road and bump noise - no person would say that about my 2020.
Just a data point. Hopefully I'll get in one before too long and can report back.

2021 MYP. The ride is on the firm but well dampened side. On many side roads and streets it will indeed feel firm and a bit sharp. However, on virtually any highway it is amazing, planted, incredibly stable. For me the bottom line is if you need the plush ride, your EV options are either go big for a Model S or X or buy an Audi e Tron. With the M3 and MY, you are buying next level EV technology, but not necessarily suspension tech. Thus, the price of admission is much more reasonable.
For me, the sure footedness of the MYP is awesome and mates well to the insanely capable drivetrain.

2021 MYP. The ride is on the firm but well dampened side. On many side roads and streets it will indeed feel firm and a bit sharp. However, on virtually any highway it is amazing, planted, incredibly stable. For me the bottom line is if you need the plush ride, your EV options are either go big for a Model S or X or buy an Audi e Tron. With the M3 and MY, you are buying next level EV technology, but not necessarily suspension tech. Thus, the price of admission is much more reasonable.
For me, the sure footedness of the MYP is awesome and mates well to the insanely capable drivetrain.
I thought the ride of my 2021 MY was horrible but after around 10K kms it seems like it has softened and is quite reasonable on normal roads and very nice on smooth highways. I believe it does have a definite break in on the suspension for at least 5K kms

MYP Fan: Harshness is subjective, and largely dependent on the road surface. Rural CA, NY, FL, very different than the DFW region, Shreveport, any large city.

rickbobbee: Agreed. For me, after 8k miles, the harsh edge seems to be off the suspension, even tires don't grumble the way they did new. I'd offer it's because I've grown accustomed to it, I still can't convince my wife, as a passenger, to be comfortable. She quietly grumbles, almost as loud as the tires.
Another thought: your perception of how a car feels is very different when you're controlling the car (driver) vs. riding in the car. I learned that, piloting various modest motor boats (17-23'). As the driver, I could always anticipate wave mvmt better than my passengers.

Reactions: acebufer
I test drove a MY LR yesterday and was initially relieved that the ride seemed very smooth. After I took it to my neighborhood roods that are asphalt with tar seams (annual repairs), I felt what everyone is talking about. At slower speeds over these tar strips, I could feel the impact and especially the "boom" from the rear. The impact was comparable to my Outback and Pilot, but the boom was different. I don't think it would be a deal-breaker, but I could see it becoming tiresome. I think I may need to test drive my daily commute.

I think 21's feel softer than the 20's

But I will say that the roads here in Florida tend to be a lot smoother than the roads up north.

So far the suspension to me is 100% better than my Infiniti q50.
You realize that what you're saying makes no sense? As has been stated throughout these "comfort" threads, it ALL depends on the road surfaces when discussing tire/wheel comfort.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I have found my 2021 Model Y at 8300 miles to be almost as comfortable and quiet as my Model X Raven was with its air suspension. Short of not having air suspension control, I actually like the Model Y better because it is smaller, more nimble, and easier to maneuver. Happy to know that TESLA listens to the consumer and incorporates improvements throughout the year.

Reports have indicated that the 2020 MY had about the same interior noise level as the Cadillac CTS. Nevertheless, TESLA worked to improve it. With the twin-pane laminated front window (impressive) and improved sound deadening in the front and front doors, the quiet ride is amazing. I am looking to add a tonneau cover to all but eliminate the rear noise.

Wish I had caught the new console upgrade tho. The engineer who designed the old flipper one should be fired and isolated on an island somewhere. I find myself softly closing it until it refuses to lock and then I just want to beat the hell out of it! Playing with it is in no way conducive to safe driving. Make that an island without food.

BTW, be careful with the wheel-well storage. It is truly handy, but last week a small bag of my wife's Thai vegetables rolled into the well and we didn't notice. After several days, I told my wife, "Something smells bad." She didn't notice it. I looked in the trunk and in the frunk and under the seats in an exhaustive search as the pungent odor continued for days. We had to drive with the window venting. Finally, she began a search and went to the right side deep well that appeared empty at first sight. She reached deep and pulled out the bag of syrupy stench. She cleaned it, washed it with hot soapy water, and hit it with Lysol, charcoal briquettes, and dryer sheets and although much improved, some of the smell still lingers. I ordered the Chemical Guys New Car Smell and will douse the area when it arrives. Maybe also a box of baking soda. Any other suggestions?

Reactions: Paul8810
FWIW, I had a opportunity to drive a Mercedes GLX 350 over 500 miles yesterday on different surfaces. It was so damn smooth and quiet. Model Y and GLE 350 is like night and day. No comparison.
But the GLE I just "built" with matching features to an AP AWD LR MY with base paint and wheels comes out to $65,565. No comparison to $50,000 Tesla. But hey, different strokes (4, in the MB case vs zero for Tesla).

Last edited: