Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the black triangles at the base of your side mirrors stick out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If so, did you try and get Tesla to fix them? What was the result?

I looked at a bunch of Model 3's at my local dealer yesterday, but the fit of the triangles were all over the place. One car happened to be marked as produced in Oct 2018 and both triangles looked great. I couldn't tell when the roughly 10 other 3s were made, but about half were customer cars in for service and had license plates so couldn't be brand new. Half were new though. All, except that clearly marked one had the triangles sticking out to varying degrees.

Just wondering if Tesla can fix it, or if they're going to say that's just how they come.

June Build... Vin 33xxx

Passenger sticks out more than driver side. Driver said comes out just a little.

2eat93k.jpg

\
9pqsrq.jpg

Last edited:
Passenger side had that issue on our 3, but Drivers side was fine. Had Tesla repair it, but option was replace the whole mirror assembly or use trim tape to hold the triangle in place. I opted for the second choice for now as it seemed a waste to replace the entire mirror for what was a minor issue on my car. So far it has worked well, but YMMV.

Passenger side had that issue on our 3, but Drivers side was fine. Had Tesla repair it, but option was replace the whole mirror assembly or use trim tape to hold the triangle in place. I opted for the second choice for now as it seemed a waste to replace the entire mirror for what was a minor issue on my car. So far it has worked well, but YMMV.

FYI I had these replaced at my service center as well. Just passenger side, as it was sticking out enough I could fit my pinky in it.

It used to be the they'd replace the whole mirror assembly but now they're just replacing the appliques. My SC had to order them so it took a bit, but a lot less hassle I assume than just replacing the whole assembly.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
FYI I had these replaced at my service center as well. Just passenger side, as it was sticking out enough I could fit my pinky in it.

It used to be the they'd replace the whole mirror assembly but now they're just replacing the appliques. My SC had to order them so it took a bit, but a lot less hassle I assume than just replacing the whole assembly.

Just got my car back from service and they told me there is no fix. They could glue it but it would probably not work. They could replace the entire mirror but the new ones have the same issue they said. Said there was nothing they could do at the preset time. Sounds like not all of the service centers are on the same page.

• Informative
Reactions: gambit48
Funnily enough, earlier this morning I booked my car into service in Orlando for this very same issue and a few other small items. Driver side is fine, can fit a pinky finger in the top of the passenger side one. Appointment not until Nov 9 but will see what they say.
For what it's worth, the other items are washer fluid only coming out of one wiper arm; very loose plastic trim between driver and rear passenger door, you only see it when both doors open, roughly at the beltline; and finally, we were unable to move into drive or reverse yesterday. Tried reboot, power off etc - nothing. A few hours later it worked fine. Had the car 2 months and thought I'd collect as many of these minor issues and take it in once. Other than not being able to get into drive or reverse they are really minor, love the car, won't consider any other brand at this point.

I reported a same issue with Tesla for my passenger side. They ordered a new part (took a month to get stock) and will have mobile service fix. I pointed Tesla to a forum thread discussing this issue while I waited and asked them if the part was new revision that fixes the issue, that if not, to just fix by applying new applique. They confirmed that applying a new applique is one of the fixes but that my car based on remote diagnostics would benefit from the new part. Guess we'll see in a few weeks when mobile service comes.

Just got my car back from service and they told me there is no fix. They could glue it but it would probably not work. They could replace the entire mirror but the new ones have the same issue they said. Said there was nothing they could do at the preset time. Sounds like not all of the service centers are on the same page.

Technically, their attitude was "This isn't really a fix, as a lot of cars have the issue, but we'll replace the appliques and add more trim tape so it isn't likely to recur", but they did replace them and I no longer have the big gap. So I can't say I'll complain...

Would this be a cost to you or is it covered under their warranty?

Would the replacement be a cost to you or is it covered?