TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do the headlights ruin the styling?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JoRey, Oct 16, 2016.

?

Do the headlights need work?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. No

102 vote(s)
    87.9%
  1. JoRey

JoRey Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner

I like many people was skeptical about the Model III's nose, but the more i look at it. The headlights seem to be out of place and kind of ruin the styling. Especially, when compared to the S and X. They look out of proportion unlike the S or the X. Can anyone Photoshop the headlights of the X or the S. I wonder what kind of effect it would have on the styling of the III.

X. [​IMG]

2. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

The headlights are fine.

• Like x 6
  3. B8BB8B

B8BB8B Member

Can't have all the cars looking the same...

• Like x 1
  4. erthquake

erthquake Member

Take a good long look at the headlights on a Leaf and I think the Model 3 lights will look fine.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

The shape of the headlights are consistent with the shape of the car's hood and nose, which are more blunt than on the S or X. The S/X headlights would look out of place on the 3.

• Like x 2
  6. Jayc

Jayc Member

I think the Model 3 headlights look great.

You just cannot go about replacing headlights from one car to the other - it is an integral part of the front end design of that particular car.

• Like x 1
  7. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

Don't forget, the design could have been polished a little bit since the unveil.

8. garsh

garsh Re Member

After reading the subject, I thought I had inadvertently clicked into the Nissan Leaf forum.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 4
  9. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

Well, the Leaf doesn't have good styling in the first place, so there's nothing to ruin with ugly headlights.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. jkk_

jkk_ Member

Ugly? Yeah, no disagreement there. But weren't they made so they redirect the wind away from side mirrors to avoid wind noise? So there's at least a reason for them being ugly.

As per topic, if you look only at the headlights, then S or X headlights look better compared to the 3. But, if you look at the whole car the headlights are completely fine on the 3.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. thegruf

thegruf Member

well that was a bit uncalled for.
    It's one thing to go look for yourself, but posting here ...
    well I need a Scotch now :)

• Funny x 3
  12. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

I disagree completely. They look great.

• Like x 3
  13. 03DSG

03DSG Member

Robert Cumberfords design comments include the headlights integration into the front end sculpting:

We can, however, talk about the very successful front-end design and the blunt, carefully delineated, near-vertical shield in the center of its nose. There is a lot of equally carefully considered and beautifully executed sculpting ahead of the front-wheel centerline. An unobtrusive little crease in the front fascia skin just below the headlamp openings gives some direction to the plain surface, with more thrust provided by the headlamp covers ending in a point inboard and forward.

I especially appreciate the inboard point of the headlight cover where it meets the sharp profile peak line running back along the top of the fender. This elevated peak is also visible to the driver, much like on the Porsche Cayman.

• Like x 1
  14. MissAutobahn

MissAutobahn Elon, please ramp up Fremont in ludicrous mode!

I didn't know that! Now I understand how it was possible Nissan approved this ugly design of the Leaf.

so I prefer wind noise :rolleyes: and every single pencil stroke from Franz von Holzhausen
    (as Franz even will abandon sidemirrors... I hope so)

• Like x 1
  15. garsh

garsh Re Member

Yes they were.
    But for beauty's sake, couldn't they have come up with some better-looking method of taking care of wind noise? Does the Model S exhibit excessive mirror wind noise at highway speeds?
    Full disclosure: I currently drive a 2012 Leaf.
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 3
  16. Pando

Pando Member

I did the reverse, photoshopped Model 3 headlights onto Model S. It's probably likely how the next Model S refresh will look like.

I'd say that it's a natural progression of styling as time goes on. The headlights are migrating more toward the back.

[​IMG]

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Love the Model 3 headlights.

After several years I continue to be shocked at the ungainly appearance of the Leaf headlights every time I see them on the road.

• Like x 2
  18. Borgholio

Borgholio Member

I don't mind the headlights at all, it's the bare body-color bumper that I'm not too fond of. I'd prefer a different shade of paint or a fake grill or something like that to make it look a bit more complete. But since the car isn't even finished yet, it's probably not the final design.

19. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

I'm going to reserve my comment until after the 2nd reveal.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. JoaoD

JoaoD Member

I do really like the way model 3 looks right now, the nose and the lights look good in my opinion.
    I'm hoping that the exterior remains similar in the final version, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if they changed the style a little bit.

• Like x 1