Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the headlights ruin the styling?

Do the headlights need work?

• Yes

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 102 86.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoRey

Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner
Feb 15, 2016
Anaheim, CA
I like many people was skeptical about the Model III's nose, but the more i look at it. The headlights seem to be out of place and kind of ruin the styling. Especially, when compared to the S and X. They look out of proportion unlike the S or the X. Can anyone Photoshop the headlights of the X or the S. I wonder what kind of effect it would have on the styling of the III.

X.
2017-Tesla-Model-3-2016-Tesla-Model-X-Tesla-Model-S-charging-stations.jpg

Take a good long look at the headlights on a Leaf and I think the Model 3 lights will look fine.

After reading the subject, I thought I had inadvertently clicked into the Nissan Leaf forum.

Ugly? Yeah, no disagreement there. But weren't they made so they redirect the wind away from side mirrors to avoid wind noise? So there's at least a reason for them being ugly.

As per topic, if you look only at the headlights, then S or X headlights look better compared to the 3. But, if you look at the whole car the headlights are completely fine on the 3.

Robert Cumberfords design comments include the headlights integration into the front end sculpting:

We can, however, talk about the very successful front-end design and the blunt, carefully delineated, near-vertical shield in the center of its nose. There is a lot of equally carefully considered and beautifully executed sculpting ahead of the front-wheel centerline. An unobtrusive little crease in the front fascia skin just below the headlamp openings gives some direction to the plain surface, with more thrust provided by the headlamp covers ending in a point inboard and forward.

I especially appreciate the inboard point of the headlight cover where it meets the sharp profile peak line running back along the top of the fender. This elevated peak is also visible to the driver, much like on the Porsche Cayman.

Reactions: Red Sage
Ugly? Yeah, no disagreement there. But weren't they made so they redirect the wind away from side mirrors to avoid wind noise? So there's at least a reason for them being ugly.
I didn't know that! Now I understand how it was possible Nissan approved this ugly design of the Leaf.

so I prefer wind noise :rolleyes: and every single pencil stroke from Franz von Holzhausen
(as Franz even will abandon sidemirrors... I hope so)

Reactions: Red Sage
Ugly? Yeah, no disagreement there. But weren't they made so they redirect the wind away from side mirrors to avoid wind noise?
Yes they were.
But for beauty's sake, couldn't they have come up with some better-looking method of taking care of wind noise? Does the Model S exhibit excessive mirror wind noise at highway speeds?
Full disclosure: I currently drive a 2012 Leaf.
4623330019_2a751d5498_o.jpg

I don't mind the headlights at all, it's the bare body-color bumper that I'm not too fond of. I'd prefer a different shade of paint or a fake grill or something like that to make it look a bit more complete. But since the car isn't even finished yet, it's probably not the final design.