Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the NEMA 14-50 Adapters ever come in stock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an electrician coming today to give me an estimate on installing 240v for my new Model 3. But now I see that the adapter I would need for it, the 14-50 is out of stock at Tesla and other resellers. I've been searching the web and it seems people have been complaining about this for some time. Can I get some input if these actually do come into stock off and on? I don't want to pay for 240v in my garage if I cannot connect for months or years.

I see the $400 wall connector is in stock, but it's 10x the price of the adapter. I'd hate to have to buy that just because it's in stock. Plus, isn't there a higher cost for the install of the 240v outlet, potentially, over a 14-50 receptacle?

Thanks.

I have an electrician coming today to give me an estimate on installing 240v for my new Model 3. But now I see that the adapter I would need for it, the 14-50 is out of stock at Tesla and other resellers. I've been searching the web and it seems people have been complaining about this for some time. Can I get some input if these actually do come into stock off and on? I don't want to pay for 240v in my garage if I cannot connect for months or years.

I see the $400 wall connector is in stock, but it's 10x the price of the adapter. I'd hate to have to buy that just because it's in stock. Plus, isn't there a higher cost for the install of the 240v outlet, potentially, over a 14-50 receptacle?

Thanks.

Check your local service center. I stopped this morning to get one for my wife's 'new' M3. The SC had them in stock for the same price as the Tesla website.

IMO, the Wall Connector is the best option. The reasons have been hashed out in numerous threads over the years, but the short version is it's safer (fewer electrical connections and points of failure), up to 50% faster, and more convenient.

Be sure to read this thread regarding NEMA 14-50 receptacles. Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

Thanks.

To answer your thread question, yes, these things (and others) on tesla's online shop go in and out of stock all the time. If you wanted to buy it from tesla, you will need to sign up for alerts and keep an eye on the store.

Tesla used to just let people order these and backorder them, then get upset about having no idea when they would ship (because it was back ordered and they were getting more orders than they could fill).

Better this way (showing out of stock), because if you manage to catch it in stock, it will actually ship, but its still annoying either way.

IMO, the Wall Connector is the best option. The reasons have been hashed out in numerous threads over the years, but the short version is it's safer (fewer electrical connections and points of failure), up to 50% faster, and more convenient.

Be sure to read this thread regarding NEMA 14-50 receptacles. Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide
Is it faster for the Model 3? I thought the Model 3 didn't take full advantage of the Wall Charger.

Is it faster for the Model 3? I thought the Model 3 didn't take full advantage of the Wall Charger.

Depends on which model 3 you have.

Model 3 Long Range / Performance can take up 48amp charging (60amp circuit) which is the max a gen 3 wall connector can provide. Model 3 SR+ (or standard model 3 now that they have dropped tha name), can only take 32amps.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks everyone. What a great asset this forum is. Happy to be here.

One thing I just thought of: an advantage to the wall connector is that I can keep my Mobile Connector in my car in case I am ever someone that I need it for an emergency charge, or even simply charging at someone's home I might be visiting, for example.

Reactions: Big Earl
Depends on which model 3 you have.

Model 3 Long Range / Performance can take up 48amp charging (60amp circuit) which is the max a gen 3 wall connector can provide. Model 3 SR+ (or standard model 3 now that they have dropped tha name), can only take 32amps.
I have a long range model, so it sounds like it can take advantage.

Thank you!

Thanks everyone. What a great asset this forum is. Happy to be here.

One thing I just thought of: an advantage to the wall connector is that I can keep my Mobile Connector in my car in case I am ever someone that I need it for an emergency charge, or even simply charging at someone's home I might be visiting, for example.

This is definitely true, but people tend to over estimate how many times they might need to take it with them. With that being said, I have a wall connector (2 actually) for my model 3 and my wifes model Y, and I love having it.

Would I need to order the Wall Charger ASAP, like right now, since it is in stock? Or does this not suffer from the same stock issues as the adapters? My electrician should be here within an hour or two, so I'd rather wait to talk to him to make sure there are not any issues with the install first.

Thanks.
Another option may be to install a 6-50 outlet as that adaptor is in stock. In fact, I just bought one since I have a 6-50 outlet in my garage. Now if I could only get my hands on a mobile connector.

Good option (re: 6-50 outlet) but be aware that this type of outlet is probably not as common as a 14-50 outlet. Yes it will work in your house but you still might need a 14-50 adapter since that type of outlet is what 50A service in RV parks will use,

Would I need to order the Wall Charger ASAP, like right now, since it is in stock? Or does this not suffer from the same stock issues as the adapters? My electrician should be here within an hour or two, so I'd rather wait to talk to him to make sure there are not any issues with the install first.

What did your electrician have to say about the install?

Well, I thought I would be getting a quote today, and texted the electrician at the end of his 10am-1pm window to see if he was still coming. His reply:

"I am Santa Barbara [from San Luis Obispo] getting emergency hand surgery in 40 mins. Going to circle back to you when I’m feeling better. "

Oh no!

My wife texted his girlfriend and she said that yesterday when working on a friend's house he sawed part of his left hand (he's right-handed) with a circular saw, and tore into some tendons.

Damn. I'll call him in a few days to see if he thinks i should get someone else. Family friend so I don't want to just call someone else yet.

Maybe I should just order a Wall Connector now, as I'm thinking that's the way I will be going, and supply chain issues worry me. We have 240v in the house and the panel is close by on the outside wall of the garage, so don't see why it would not work. Although...I just walked out to look at it, and there are no available breakers, all are in use. I'm not electrician, but that seems like it might be a problem (replace panel with bigger one?). Ugh.

Well, if he's got a bum hand, he'll have more time to come by for an estimate I suppose.

Well, I thought I would be getting a quote today, and texted the electrician at the end of his 10am-1pm window to see if he was still coming. His reply:

"I am Santa Barbara [from San Luis Obispo] getting emergency hand surgery in 40 mins. Going to circle back to you when I’m feeling better. "

Oh no!

My wife texted his girlfriend and she said that yesterday when working on a friend's house he sawed part of his left hand (he's right-handed) with a circular saw, and tore into some tendons.

Damn. I'll call him in a few days to see if he thinks i should get someone else. Family friend so I don't want to just call someone else yet.

Maybe I should just order a Wall Connector now, as I'm thinking that's the way I will be going, and supply chain issues worry me. We have 240v in the house and the panel is close by on the outside wall of the garage, so don't see why it would not work. Although...I just walked out to look at it, and there are no available breakers, all are in use. I'm not electrician, but that seems like it might be a problem (replace panel with bigger one?). Ugh.

Well, if he's got a bum hand, he'll have more time to come by for an estimate I suppose.

Sometimes they can double up breakers, or even install quad breakers to make more room. If you know you want a wall connector (and know you are getting the tesla) I would just get it now.