TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do the P cars have more aggressive throttle mapping, in addition to the horsepower?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Feb 19, 2017.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Just wondering because I haven't driven any P cars. There has been speculation that Tesla may have remapped throttle tip-in sometime last year to help stop drive unit failure. My 70D definitely feels "lazier" on the first bit of pedal travel than I remember a lowly Nissan Leaf being. The Leaf had a more instantaneous throttle, while my car feels like it is purposely ramping up acceleration slowly at first to perhaps reduce wear on the driveline.

Maybe it's all my imagination. But if it isn't - I'm wondering if the P cars are any different - ie more instantaneous throttle response in the first bit of pedal travel.

2. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

No doubt. The 60/75 feels very similar in performance to the none P 90 above about 30kmh.

3. Kristoffer Helle

The regular cars start pulling from 30mph and up. Software limited ;)

4. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

The non P cars acceleration feels very linear (no sudden push with wide open throttle application). The P cars feel logarithmic, ramping up almost instantly to max output.

P = fun fun fun
    non P = nice family car

using power tools, from memory, the 70D pulled about 1/2 the amps (247) of the P90 which will do 489 with max battery enabled 90 SOC.jpg

5. GSP

GSP Member

To be clear, I don't think the OP is asking about differences in power or torque (or Amps) in the P cars. That would be OT

The question is about how the siftware maps accelerator pedal position to the torque command sent to the motors/inverters. This map usually varies with vehicle speed.

Automakers and customers seem to love aggressive maps, so that the driver gets lots of torque at small "throttle openings." This gives the feel of a very powerful car, at the expense of fine control of the torque.

GSP

• Like x 1
  6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

My P85+ rockets off the line every time and feels very linear to me. I have to back off a bit in order to avoid wheel spin.

• Like x 2