Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the Performance brakes look any different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure you've all seen the pic of the "AWD Performance" Model 3 coming off the new line.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Has anyone taken a detailed look at the brakes on that car?

Wondering if they look any different from the LR RWD brakes that have been shipping so far.

Apart from the red brake calipers, LOL.
They look bigger to me. I'm surprised no one has tried to match up the angle with an LR and shown them side by side. Keep in mind that those are 20" wheels.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I don't think that the brakes are any bigger on the performance Model S&X, they just get red calipers...
I believe that is because the S/X ("generation 2") cars use a particular type of motor which heats up too much when you use it on the track. Therefore, no-one uses them for any significant track work. Therefore... no need for fancy brake options.

However the Generation 3 platform uses a different motor design that allows for it to be used on the racetrack without heating up too much. So people are going to track it, and the "civilian grade" LR RWD brakes aren't up to that.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Not saying you are wrong, but are you sure there’s no space for bigger brakes on the when the Aeros are on? The standard brakes look pretty small on 20s.

I knew the rear brakes would not fit with 17” wheels but apparently that is just the parking brake. I wasn’t trying to imply that they wouldn’t have different brakes on the P, I was just trying to make the point that Tesla is not designing brakes to take full advantage of the 20” wheels as they are also offering the Aero wheels with the P.

Looks to me like possibly ~355mm rotors up front as compared to the standard 320mm on the LR models. These should still fit inside the barrel of the 18" aero wheel. The rear rotors most likely remain the same 335mm. Although the rears aren't "just parking brakes"...