TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do the Performance brakes look any different?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by MartinAustin, Jun 17, 2018.

1. MartinAustin

MartinAustin I Do Not Read Electrek

I'm sure you've all seen the pic of the "AWD Performance" Model 3 coming off the new line.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Has anyone taken a detailed look at the brakes on that car?

Wondering if they look any different from the LR RWD brakes that have been shipping so far.

Apart from the red brake calipers, LOL.

2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

They look bigger to me. I'm surprised no one has tried to match up the angle with an LR and shown them side by side. Keep in mind that those are 20" wheels.

• Funny x 1
  3. scrapps

scrapps Member

Calipers look bigger and the discs look bigger to me. Thought that went without saying tho, as they are ‘performance brakes’.

• Funny x 1
  4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I don't think that the brakes are any bigger on the performance Model S&X, they just get red calipers...

• Like x 1
  5. MartinAustin

#5 MartinAustin, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    I believe that is because the S/X ("generation 2") cars use a particular type of motor which heats up too much when you use it on the track. Therefore, no-one uses them for any significant track work. Therefore... no need for fancy brake options.

However the Generation 3 platform uses a different motor design that allows for it to be used on the racetrack without heating up too much. So people are going to track it, and the "civilian grade" LR RWD brakes aren't up to that.

• Funny x 1
  6. TT97

TT97 Member

As the 18" Aeros are an option on the P, the brakes can't be materially bigger (unless they use different brakes if you opt for the 20" wheels).

7. MartinAustin

There could be a track-capable brake option... and the car pictured didn't have it.

8. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

Others have said that the front brakes on the LR would fit 17" wheels (it's the rear parking brake that's the problem).

9. scrapps

scrapps Member

Not saying you are wrong, but are you sure there’s no space for bigger brakes on the when the Aeros are on? The standard brakes look pretty small on 20s.

10. TT97

TT97 Member

I knew the rear brakes would not fit with 17” wheels but apparently that is just the parking brake. I wasn’t trying to imply that they wouldn’t have different brakes on the P, I was just trying to make the point that Tesla is not designing brakes to take full advantage of the 20” wheels as they are also offering the Aero wheels with the P.

11. FlyNavy01

FlyNavy01 Member

Looks to me like possibly ~355mm rotors up front as compared to the standard 320mm on the LR models. These should still fit inside the barrel of the 18" aero wheel. The rear rotors most likely remain the same 335mm. Although the rears aren't "just parking brakes"...

12. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

It's hard to tell how much larger they are, but the rotor hats sure look different.

13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone said that the rear brakes where just parking brakes, what they said is that the parking brake portion is what would prevent using 17" wheels.

14. oneshortguy

oneshortguy Member

With 20" Wheels, the extra room might be making it look bigger proportionally?

15. scrapps

scrapps Member

This is by no means perfect, as the angles are different, with my car being shot at a higher angle, but it does show quite clearly that the discs (and calipers) are larger on the P.

https://ibb.co/bXdSKd

• Like x 2
  16. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

You’d think Elon would be open about this info. Would help make up more minds of anyone debating dual vs performance. Like me. Shrugs.

17. Killroy

Killroy Member

I know a guy that makes 15 hp decals, if anyone is interested.

18. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

I don't really think these pictures make that point sufficiently.

19. PessimiStick

PessimiStick Member

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the lack of transparency either, despite ordering a P3 anyway.

20. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

I’m waiting to configure as well. But I could definitely change my mind. It’s all in Elon’s hands right now.