Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the Performance brakes look any different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could be that the brake caliper is the same part painted red. If it is mounted further from the center of the hub with a larger rotor and a different pad compound it would be a higher performance design. I believe that is what Honda did with the Acura Integra Type R vs. other integras. I have bolted up 17” wheels on the front that wouldn’t fit on the rear. So there is room for the larger rotors FN01 mentioned that could fit inside an 18” wheel.

Last edited:
I believe that is because the S/X ("generation 2") cars use a particular type of motor which heats up too much when you use it on the track. Therefore, no-one uses them for any significant track work. Therefore... no need for fancy brake options.
Just a data point...

I've had 3 Model S (P85, P85D, P100D), each has had the rotors replaced in <= 30k miles. I've considered asking Tesla if they recommend a better option than replacing 'done' rotors so often, but they haven't given any signs of taking track driving seriously. Hopefully that will change with 2018 Roadster.

• Informative
Reactions: outie
It could be that the brake caliper is the same part painted red. If it is mounted further from the center of the hub with a larger rotor and a different pad compound it would be a higher performance design. I believe that is what Honda did with the Acura Integra Type R vs. other integras. I have bolted up 17” wheels on the front that wouldn’t fit on the rear. So there is room for the larger rotors FN01 mentioned that could fit inside an 18” wheel.

There's still a lot of space under the front wheels for larger brakes. I believe some of the Tesla tuners are developing big brake kits already that fit under the 18"s.

Edit: saw in another post Tesla posted the diameter... Performance Model suspension sits ~1" lower in configurator (pics inside)
screen-shot-2018-06-27-at-4-55-22-pm-png.312910

About the Integras. Current and past owner of Integra Type R and GS-Rs. Type R uses larger front/rear disc and larger front/rear caliper. A part number cross check will show they came from a larger/heavier sedan. You could bolt the Type R calipers onto the GSR/LS/GS/RS hubs/spindle, but would need to source some larger disc due to different wheel bolt patterns. Surprising, this also worked with NSX front brakes all under a 15" wheel.

Last edited:
I am guessing (hoping?) that the Performance Brakes are 380mm Brembo 6-piston front (GT) brakes. I am pretty certain the stock brakes are 320mm Brembo 4-piston brakes. NO the performance brakes will NOT fit within 19" wheels. A 19" wheel is required to fit 365mm brakes rotors. Neither set (320mm or performance brakes) are ventilated, sadly.

It seems like a big part of the problem is that the goal of making the car fuel-efficient means that there are no extra air is directed to the brake rotors. So I am surprised that Tesla didn't pony up for the ventilated (drilled) calipers on the Performance Package for the Model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyNavy01