Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the Power Mirrors automatically open when car is unlocked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I am very close to purchasing my first Model S

I have a very tight garage space (width ways). I understand that the new tech pack includes Power Mirrors.

Do these mirrors retract and reopen on a switch ? Or do they reopen once car is unlocked. If they reopen once car is unlocked mine would hit the wall!

Really appreciate any insight.

Hi

I have a very tight garage space (width ways). I understand that the new tech pack includes Power Mirrors.

Do these mirrors retract and reopen on a switch ? Or do they reopen once car is unlocked. If they reopen once car is unlocked mine would hit the wall!

I don't know the answer, but if it were that tight, how would you get in and out? Or is it just one side?

We had a loaner with folding mirrors a couple weeks back, IIRC correctly the mirrors opened with the car power up (foot on the brake); in any case it was definitely before the car started moving.

If the walls are that tight to the car how do you plan to enter/exit the vehicle??

P.S. I see you're in Clearwater. The red Model S loaner at Tampa Service Center has folding mirrors, you could check with David and see if he might be able to come across and check if the car fits.

I also recently had a loaner. They do swing out before you start moving. You can press a switch to have them fold/unfold as well. And they will stay that way even while driving.

So if you are worried about a column, or getting around a wall you can always press the button to fold the mirrors. If you are parking that close to a wall :scared:. I don't know how you would get that close without using a mirror to make sure you were straight and close but not touching.

Thanks very much for the quick replys, much appreciated.

I have a 2 car garage. The "drivers" side has enough space between the 2 cars to open the door and exit .(i have a Nissan Armada now so i assume the door opening wouldnt be more ).

Im pretty close to the wall to give me as much room on the drivers side as possible . Currently i power fold the mirrors as i approach the garage and drive straight in without a problem. Car definitely wouldnt fit with the mirrors open though.

- - - Updated - - -

We had a loaner with folding mirrors a couple weeks back, IIRC correctly the mirrors opened with the car power up (foot on the brake); in any case it was definitely before the car started moving.

If the walls are that tight to the car how do you plan to enter/exit the vehicle??

P.S. I see you're in Clearwater. The red Model S loaner at Tampa Service Center has folding mirrors, you could check with David and see if he might be able to come across and check if the car fits.

Thats a great idea. That would definitely answer the question. I wonder if he would do that. I will call and ask.

The mirrors unfold when you open the door (they do not open when the car unlocks, only when you actually open any door). That is a switchable behavior - so you could leave the mirrors on manual - in which case they open or close only when you press the button in the driver's door

Don't know what option you guys have clicked in preferences but my December build Model S 85 was ordered before the folding mirror option was offered and added before the car was built. My mirrors fold only when I tell them to. Unfold only when I tell them to. Thats import because as with ginstwin I need to fold my mirrors before entering the garage and unfold after leaving the garage. Clearance to the right mirror is that close.

There are a couple behaviors.

If you have automatic folding enabled:
  • Mirrors fold in when the car locks. If walk-away locking is enabled, this could be when you're dozens of feet away.
  • Mirrors unfold when:
    • The car is unlocked and a door is opened
    • The car is first put into drive or reverse from park
  • The folding toggle on the door can toggle state at any point, but will not disable the above rules. For example: You open your door and the mirrors unfold. Then you press the button to manually fold them in preparation for exiting your garage. When you put the car in reverse, they'll unfold again. Conversely, once you're in drive or reverse, you can fold the mirrors and they will stay like that.

If you have automatic folding disabled:
  • Mirrors will manually fold and unfold by the door panel toggle

So for your case, you will most certainly need to disable automatic folding... and hope a software update doesn't turn it on again.

There are a couple behaviors.

If you have automatic folding enabled:
  • Mirrors fold in when the car locks. If walk-away locking is enabled, this could be when you're dozens of feet away.
  • Mirrors unfold when:
    • The car is unlocked and a door is opened
    • The car is first put into drive or reverse from park
  • The folding toggle on the door can toggle state at any point, but will not disable the above rules. For example: You open your door and the mirrors unfold. Then you press the button to manually fold them in preparation for exiting your garage. When you put the car in reverse, they'll unfold again. Conversely, once you're in drive or reverse, you can fold the mirrors and they will stay like that.

If you have automatic folding disabled:
  • Mirrors will manually fold and unfold by the door panel toggle

So for your case, you will most certainly need to disable automatic folding... and hope a software update doesn't turn it on again.

That is a really helpful guide, thanks very much for the detail.

As you say i hope a software update doesnt turn it on ,it would definitely hit the wall .

I would remember to disable automatic folding as i have to fold them to enter the garage. Likewise i dont unfold them until i leave the garage.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

It's OR. If any of those conditions are met, the mirrors unfold. Doors opening after unlocking or shifting into drive/reverse.

I guess the second condition you are referring to is when you had previously folded the mirrors using the switch on the door. Because otherwise, when will the second condition arise? You must have first gone through the 'unlock and open door' procedure before entering the car and switching to Drive / Reverse, which means the mirrors should have already unfolded by then.

In my experience, it is a little random. Every morning when I start from home, this is the sequence of events:
  1. I approach the car, it unlocks.
  2. I open the passenger door, and put my bag in.
  3. I open the driver door, get in.
  4. Switch to Reverse an begin driving.

The unfolding of mirrors in my experience happens sometimes at 2 and sometimes at 4.

I guess the second condition you are referring to is when you had previously folded the mirrors using the switch on the door. Because otherwise, when will the second condition arise? You must have first gone through the 'unlock and open door' procedure before entering the car and switching to Drive / Reverse, which means the mirrors should have already unfolded by then.

That's right. There are only two cases where this should occur. The first is if you unlock and get in (mirrors unfold automatically), then you manually fold them again. When you shift out of park, they'll automatically unfold once again.

The second is if the mirrors fail to unfold, which is an occasional bug I have. Sometime one of them glitches and won't unfold when I open the door, but it does unfold once I shift out of park.

Mine isn't as random as yours, it sounds like. Mine is very predictable, with the occasion bug where one mirror doesn't unfold properly but the other does.

Hi

I just had power mirrors retrofitted on my MS. Yes they do fold out when the car is started & fold in when they car turns off. It's that simple! Your mirrors are also heated. Older models came with unheated mirrors that could not even be folded manually. Rick

Except for the odd glitch (quite rare) where either one of the mirrors doesn't auto-unfold, mine works the way Gizmotoy described (Dec 2013 car). On any glitch so far, the driver door button has fixed it on two presses if only one mirror stuck - first press closes the non-glitched open mirror; second press opens both. I can't remember whether there has ever been a time that both mirrors didn't originally auto-open.