Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the stock all season tires that come with the model Y have the snowflake symbol. (Snow).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine came with Continental ProContact's. Those are mud/snow (M+S) rated, but not three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF). Most US states that allow traction tires in lieu of chains require the latter. Not sure about CA, but it's probably similar.

Tesla does not have traditional model year designations for their vehicles.

The Long Range Model Y comes with either 19" Continental Procontact RX grand touring all-season tires (size 255/45R-19) or 20" Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (M+S) ultra high performance all-season tires (size 255/40R-20). The OE all season tires do not have the three peaks with snowflake graphic molded into the sidewall. For tires that have the snowflake the manufacturer will state "Severe Snow Service Rated."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...1476532505!b!!g!!&gclsrc=aw.ds&&affiliate=HM5

The OEM tires are terrible in the snow, no matter their label, so I just put CrossClimate 2 tires on our Y. Michelin does not make the exact size (as of Oct 2021) so we put on 235/50R19 which is only about 1% taller and seems fine so far.
This is exactly what I needed to hear. I’m headed to Kal tire to talk to them about this. So no problems with the extra height? How are they for noise, efficiency etc. Any comments welcome.

I’m mounting on separate rims so I’m assuming I need blue tooth tire sensors????

This will be on a 2022 Y that we don’t have yet.

Can you confirm that they have the snowflake?

I wanted the snow flake symbol so went with falken wildpeak 235/55r19. Perfect fir no rub and feels the wheel well nicely. It does lift the car another .5” or so and speedo difference is not noticeable. Incredibly these are quieter than the pro contact’s, at least for now. No noticeable handling difference but it feels nice and rides better with the added sidewalls.

This is exactly what I needed to hear. I’m headed to Kal tire to talk to them about this. So no problems with the extra height? How are they for noise, efficiency etc. Any comments welcome.

I’m mounting on separate rims so I’m assuming I need blue tooth tire sensors????

This will be on a 2022 Y that we don’t have yet.

Can you confirm that they have the snowflake?

Yes to 3 Peak Snowflake symbol. Tire height is only 1% taller so no issue.
Didn’t notice any difference in noise. Some say they are a bit less efficient but I didn’t notice and supposedly new tires always are a little less. You will need pressure sensors. If mounting on separate rims you may want to consider a .5 to 1 inch smaller width as the tire is slightly narrower. Search this for for CrossClimate to see details on that.

The OEM tires are terrible in the snow, no matter their label, so I just put CrossClimate 2 tires on our Y. Michelin does not make the exact size (as of Oct 2021) so we put on 235/50R19 which is only about 1% taller and seems fine so far.
Planning on doing the same thing. What did you do with the OEM tires after you replaced them with the CC2s? I imagine there's not much of a resale market for them.

Planning on doing the same thing. What did you do with the OEM tires after you replaced them with the CC2s? I imagine there's not much of a resale market for them.

The OEM tires are in bags in my garage and listed for sale here and on Craigslist for $800. They still have colored lines and the little rubber nipples from the mold like new. The OEM tires are quiet and efficient and many people like the idea of sticking with the factory choice. Snow is their only weakness which doesn’t matter to many people in the southern states where lots of Teslas have been sold. Given how much fun the acceleration is on our pretty heavy cars many people only get about 18 months on the rear pair so there is demand.

If you are getting a second set of wheels just put them back on in summer.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
The OEM tires are in bags in my garage and listed for sale here and on Craigslist for $800. They still have colored lines and the little rubber nipples from the mold like new. The OEM tires are quiet and efficient and many people like the idea of sticking with the factory choice. Snow is their only weakness which doesn’t matter to many people in the southern states where lots of Teslas have been sold. Given how much fun the acceleration is on our pretty heavy cars many people only get about 18 months on the rear pair so there is demand.

If you are getting a second set of wheels just put them back on in summer.
I'll be following how much luck you have selling the OEM tires since that's what I was hoping to do. I figured it might take a while to sell and wouldn't sell for much.

We spent Christmas and New Years near Tahoe and got dumped on with 3m / 10ft of snow during that time! Plows struggled to keep up, highways were closed and gas stations ran out but our Y with the CrossClimates did great.

buried Y.jpg