Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do these brake rotors need replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. See attached. Rear brake rotors of my 2017 MX 100D. They were replaced one year ago. Is that premature wear? Thanks in advance for the info.
13E549B5-DCBF-402A-A79B-BBF1C2DACA68.jpeg

Tesla did it when I had brake service. They said to do several hard brakings to eliminate the buildup on the pads from low use. Which I did. I assume this wear happened before I ‘cleaned them’ with the repeated sudden stops.
the pad should be sweeping the rotor, it looks like the outer ring hasn't been touched. hard to tell by just guessing. just need to see your pad and rotor contact area. you can try some more stops to try to rebed the pads and clear up the rotor and report back

lf the rotors were replaced 12 months ago, and that is the brake service you refer to, then the uneven wear has occurred since then. As previously stated, the pads need removing and checking and if in decent condition with nothing trapped some hard braking sessions need to follow.

lf the rotors were replaced 12 months ago, and that is the brake service you refer to, then the uneven wear has occurred since then.
Rotors and pads were replaced 12 months ago. Then, 2 weeks ago, I had Tesla do the brake maintenance, ie cleaning. After doing the cleaning, the Mobile tech suggested I do the hard brakings to eliminate the buildup simple cleaning couldn’t deal with it. So, I assume the uneven wear happened before the cleaning. Note that this condition is identical on both sides. My ultimate question, will repeated use of the brakes deal with it or should I replace the rotors and/or pads again?

Last edited:
Rotors and pads were replaced 12 months ago. Then, 2 weeks ago, I had Tesla do the brake maintenance, ie cleaning. After doing the cleaning, the Mobile tech suggested I do the hard brakings to eliminate the buildup simple cleaning couldn’t deal with it. So, I assume the uneven wear happened before the cleaning. Note that this condition is identical on both sides. My ultimate question, will repeated use of the brakes deal with it or should I replace the rotors and/or pads again?
If Tesla saw them 2 weeks ago and didn't recommend replacement I'd stay as you are. See how they look, and more importantly how they stop after a few hard braking sessions when the brakes are warm.