Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do UHP tires equal faster 0-60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't find much info about this on the forum and Interwebs, will the S accelerate quicker with Ultra High Performance tires versus Grand Touring tires? Or is the UHP tire too grippy and ends up with the same acceleration? I know UHP tires will have the advantage in handling and turns, but what about just straight-line acceleration? Will UHP tires put the power down better?

I currently have the Pirelli P7 Plus in 19s on our Raven S and get a 4.08 sec 0-60. Not bad and close to the stated specs despite the Grand Touring tires spinning a little at launch before traction control kicks in. With the 3% power boost a few months ago, I am wondering if Michelin A/S 3+ tires will get me closer to the theoretical 3.88 second time.

I also worry about UHP riding rougher than Grand Touring tires. I had A/S 3+ tires in 18s on my previous Lexus LS 460 and hated the tires because they were so noisy and rough riding. It was the first Michelin tire I truly despised but they get so much praise in the Tesla forum(s).

Under most conditions the cars are not traction limited, instead they are torque and power limited, so no, the tires shouldn't show a difference. You might be able to measure a slight difference between 21 forged, 21 cast and 19 inch rims though. I gather the the 19s have lower overall unsprung weight. I am thinking hundredths of a second difference. Not tenths.

Last edited:
Under most conditions the cars are not traction limited, instead they are torque and power limited, so no, the tires shouldn't show a difference. You might be able to measure a slight difference between 21 forged, 21 cast and 19 inch rims though. I gather the the 19s have lower overall unsprung weight.
I think most forged 21s are lighter than most cast 19s - in the low to mid 20 lb range as opposed to around 30 lb for cast 19s. And cast 21s (e.g. turbines) - those are chonky! 38 lbs! At least for a rear 21” turbine on the staggered setup.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla