Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do V3 superchargers actually provide dedicated 250 kw output?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was charging at one of the 250 kw bays at Kettleman City yesterday. With 50% SOC I was only getting about 90 kw which seemed low. Then, the guy charging next to me disconnects and almost immediately I see my charge rate jump to over 120 kw.

I thought V3 superchargers have dedicated power for each stall without charger pairing. After my experience yesterday I’m no longer sure that’s the case. Anyone else experience something similar?

Some one will explain it better than me but in a nutshell no, they don't have 250kW dedicated. EDIT: See next post for details (much better than my attempt).

Now, at 50% SOC you will not get 250kW. You'll need to search for the charging curve of your car model. 120kW seems like the max you might get at that SOC...

NOTE: This thread should be in the "Supercharging" forum.

I was charging at one of the 250 kw bays at Kettleman City yesterday. With 50% SOC I was only getting about 90 kw which seemed low. Then, the guy charging next to me disconnects and almost immediately I see my charge rate jump to over 120 kw.

I thought V3 superchargers have dedicated power for each stall without charger pairing. After my experience yesterday I’m no longer sure that’s the case. Anyone else experience something similar?

V3 Superchargers share power across the entire system, which can by up to 28 pedestals on 7 cabinets. Each cabinet has an AC input of up to 350 kW from the grid, plus a DC bus that shares power between cabinets, battery storage and solar. For your specific example, I suppose we would need to know how many other V3 chargers were in use at the time. If it was a light day and there weren't many cars, it's possible that the cabinet you were plugged into was having some sort of problem that wasn't allowing it to share power correctly.

Thanks. Tesla needs to clarify their blog post on V3 superchargers because the way they describe it, it sounds like each stall has dedicated 250 kw output.

“Supercharger stations with V3’s new power electronics are designed to enable any owner to charge at the full power their battery can take – no more splitting power with a vehicle in the stall next to you.”

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I think that's the thing: Tesla are trying to hide all the gory details and present the system as if it was very simple. I see that as very similar to Apple with iOS and everything they do. Details are hidden, options are scarce, but it works well and is easy for most people. Tesla have a vision to promote transition transportation to EVs. IF everyone starts stressing about their battery health, if they need to prepare their battery before arriving to a SC, if they need to carefully choose a stall lest they frustrate someone or lose time, it will never be mainstream.
If you ask me personally what I want... I want to see the charging curves, I want to know all the implementation details, I have ScanMyTesla on my car, I use TeslaFi. For most people and for EV adoption however, I understand what Tesla' trying to do.