Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do valet drivers need instructions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cypho

Dec 20, 2018
USA
I am going to valet park my 3 for the first time tomorrow. Are 3's common enough that the valet drivers generally know how to drive the car and use the keycard? Or am I likely going to need to teach them how to drive the car?

I am going to valet park my 3 for the first time tomorrow. Are 3's common enough that the valet drivers generally know how to drive the car and use the keycard? Or am I likely going to need to teach them how to drive the car?

Quick answer is "it depends where you are..." Safest is, better show them how to do it...

In Southern California, they know...

Reactions: calidreamz808
They know in Chicago and seem to get pissy if you try to show them. I get it though if some random person came to my job and tried to tell me how to do it and assuming I do not know how. I would likely be a bit offended also.

My approach is to get out of the car, close the door and lock it. If you hand the valet the card and they don't know what to do, they need a tutorial.

Or you could, you know, just ask them if they're familiar with the model 3.

It reminds me of this meme:

6qa2zaxrkcfz.jpg

depends!

I live in the suburbs and work in the city. Most valets in the burbs will know how to work the key cards however you'll have that one rando that is completely baffled and you have to explain. In the city its never been a problem, it seems all valets out here deal with tesla's all the time and is almost proud to tell you...yea yea, I got this wen you hand them the card. In reality though, I always linger long enough to make sure they know what they're doing ;-)

I think where I grew up, they are still asking "what is a car?" :rolleyes:
Like others say, I've had mixed results. I usually stand there a minute until they get in the car and drive away. There have been a few occasions where they jump out and ask how to turn it on or put it in drive. That's when I ask if there is another valet that has driven a Tesla?

Use this link in your browser in your car and set it as a favorite

Fun Tesla Screens, Dashboards, Valet Messages & More

Then use valet 2 and leave it up when you valet. You can even change the language.

The others are fun too.
Cool, but yikes both the Valet pages are a little off-putting. That's sure to miff any Valet driver anywhere :eek:

I think waiting a minute to see if they need help or asking "Hey are you familiar with these cars" is a more polite way of handling the situation.