Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we expect a major update for MX 100D in the last quarter of 2017?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huge promotion on MX 100D about 20K off the MRSP in China right now which they NEVER offer before. Wondering if TESLA wanna to get rid of the current inventory and make room for huge update for MX, or they just put MX on sale for the third quarter delivery number? Any thought?

Reactions: scottf200
No one outside a small group of people inside Tesla knows for sure, but I am not sure if we will see a significant upgrade to the S and X this year. Tesla must be very busy with the production ramp up of the Model 3 that it seems distracting to also introduce significant changes to the other cars.

I can see the logic in a S update; however, the X doesn't make a whole lot of sense. While the S has been out since 2012 with very minor exterior updates, the X is barely 2yrs out. I can't see them making major modifications to that platform for the near term. Under the covers it makes sense - that is the nature of Tesla; however, exterior updates seem premature.

I can see the logic in a S update; however, the X doesn't make a whole lot of sense. While the S has been out since 2012 with very minor exterior updates, the X is barely 2yrs out. I can't see them making major modifications to that platform for the near term. Under the covers it makes sense - that is the nature of Tesla; however, exterior updates seem premature.
Tesla has been going under a lot of changes in the past year, compared to before. With the Model 3 coming out they have to keep innovation on the S/X to anti sell the 3.

There are contrary opinions of course, but here are mine:

We'll see minor updates of both S and X that will have tangible performance and range consequences around 4Q

In roughly 2019 they'll announce completely new S and X for 2020 delivery. They probably will look more or less similar to today and FWD will be there for the X. The redesign will allow major reduction in production cost and increase of production quality. There will be major changes to drivetrain, that will follow lessons learned from Model 3.

I think that will happen even though Model 3 rampup, Model Y, Semi, Pickup, solar roof, conventional PV, storage products, new GF's, expansion to a dozen new countries etc are also happening.

We all know Elon does not want to be bored. I think all of this will soon be largely formulaic because the learning curve has been so steep. Scaling all this, including new models will be easier than growth so far has been.

...and I don't even like Kool-Aid.