Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we have any recourse for this insanely poor paint quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looked up the invoice too. It was $3900 total (1300 parts and 2600 labor), and fully covered by the warranty.

I've had my model y for 3 weeks and already have at least 10 scratches and chips. How did you get Tesla to assume responsibility?? Their service team told me it's not covered under warranty and that it is completely normal. Their sales team told me no one has ever brought up a poor paint issue before.

Please share your ways!

I noticed that also. I have Red and it is no where near that. In fact, its very smooth. Dont know if its because its a multi coat paint or what. Anyway. I have seen worse. Look at the new Porsche 911's above the rear wheel haunches. Where the slope from vertical meets the horizontal. Seems like the pant pools there. Its awful.

You're talking about the dimpled paint in the 911 arch/side skirt area? It's factory coating designed to protect against chips--very deliberate. The poster above unfortunately just has a really awful paint job.

You're talking about the dimpled paint in the 911 arch/side skirt area? It's factory coating designed to protect against chips--very deliberate. The poster above unfortunately just has a really awful paint job.
They're called rock guards and they've been using them on their cars for decades. It's de rigueur on Porsches you might say. If the Tesla has bad paint, then why does Porsche (option) use rock guards, aka PPF before the market had a broad name for it?

They're called rock guards and they've been using them on their cars for decades. It's de rigueur on Porsches you might say. If the Tesla has bad paint, then why does Porsche use rock guards, aka PPF before the market had a broad name for it?

The strike zone on my Y's rear doors was trashed within 150 miles of driving on paved roads. It's no-excuses bad paint.

The strike zone on my Y's rear doors was trashed within 150 miles of driving on paved roads. It's no-excuses bad paint.
HAHAAHAHAH you think any normal paint is not gonna chip while getting pelted by rocks? you must have never had a car with wide arches like the Y, the front will kick up tons of rocks, add mud flaps and ppf. Paint could be layered 400 times its still gonna chip.

Reactions: thesmokingman
[url=https://postimg.cc/TyZfnB6m] [/URL]
96115126-024-B-4-EAB-A1-ED-AF7467-A588-B2.jpg
I just took my first road trip of about 3000 miles to put my model y at about 4k miles total. I gave her a wash today and holy sh*t, she’s trashed! WTF?! How can the paint quality be THIS bad? Will they fix this? Will tesla take any responsibility for this? If not, where do I take this to get fixed, and what kind of $$ am I looking at dropping here? This is pretty shocking, and giving me serious doubts about remaining a Tesla owner.

Use tesla app to make service appointment. Car has a warranty.

There are thousands of Teslas out there that no one has complained about. Most people don't get all excited about paint quality, good or bad. I backed into a rail and left a dent in my trunk lid/bumper. I guess if it was important, I'd get it fixed, but it's not that important. You can barely see it.

If it's too hard for you to look at it, I'd recommend going to your trusted auto body shop and have them fix it. I imagine your insurance will pay for it. Or arrange with Tesla to take it to your body shop, and have them agree to pay for at least part of it.

The thing is, most people don't care, don't worry about little paint flaws, etc. My brother used to repair cars, and he followed what he called the 5 foot/fifty foot rule. If you can't see it at 50 feet, it's not too bad. If you can't see it at five feet, it's perfect.

I got a few paint chips in my first 3,000 miles but nothing horrid. After I noticed how many loud impacts occurred on freeway in Los Angeles, I decided to wrap whole car model y performance in ppf. That reminds me, gotta install my mud flaps to reduce chances of front tires flinging rocks backwards.

LOL they are gonna laugh at you if you show up for a warranty for that

I have had 15 year old cars, that I've driven on gravel roads, look better than that.

No clue about all of these people acting like there are not paint problems. There ARE w/ these rushed Tesla cars. When people have to ask which carwashes are safe to use, there are problems.

I understand wanting to support Tesla, but supporting sh*t like this is *NOT* the way to do it. For the amount of money they charge, surely they could properly paint the vehicles.

I had PPF installed on all the HIGH THREAT areas (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, lower doors and door edges) for $1800 back in 2020 after taking delivery of our Y. I was a skeptic but after 2 years and seeing how the PPF has taken a beating I can categorically state that was the BEST $$1800 car accessory I have ever bought.

Am doing the exact same thing on my new PMY. I may do the hood and mirrors in a MATTE BLACK just to compliment the MSM paint and give it an OLD SCHOOL muscle car look.

Lqbt86G.jpg

Spray detailer usually cleans up the dust that accumulates along that seam, but we just got back from a road trip to Arkansas and we had to drive on some unpaved and graveled roads so the car is especially dirty. But it does protect all those vulnerable areas nicely. On my receipt (itemized) all four doors cost me about $250, including the door edges. $250 is a steal for the protection.

Last edited:
[url=https://postimg.cc/TyZfnB6m] [/URL]
96115126-024-B-4-EAB-A1-ED-AF7467-A588-B2.jpg
I just took my first road trip of about 3000 miles to put my model y at about 4k miles total. I gave her a wash today and holy sh*t, she’s trashed! WTF?! How can the paint quality be THIS bad? Will they fix this? Will tesla take any responsibility for this? If not, where do I take this to get fixed, and what kind of $$ am I looking at dropping here? This is pretty shocking, and giving me serious doubts about remaining a Tesla owner.

Why do you think so many Tesla owners get wraps. Hint: It isn’t to protect the paint.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide