Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we have heated mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shouldn't have to with the heater wipers

But that's the problem. I don't think the heated wiper blade turns on with the app.

So I turned on my car 6 minutes or so before leaving office.
Went to car.
Luckily handled presented.

But then wipers were stuck to windshield.

Turned on front and rear defrost.

And waited.

Would have been nice to turn on ALL climate features by app.

I can honk the horn by app, but not heat the steering wheel and mirrors and windshield?

But that's the problem. I don't think the heated wiper blade turns on with the app.

So I turned on my car 6 minutes or so before leaving office.
Went to car.
Luckily handled presented.

But then wipers were stuck to windshield.

Turned on front and rear defrost.

And waited.

Would have been nice to turn on ALL climate features by app.

I can honk the horn by app, but not heat the steering wheel and mirrors and windshield?

Right.

Wait, why? You don't have the cold weather package? The heaters under the glass should do. Though I have to admit since I park in a garage both at work and home I don't get to exercise it very often.

No, the Cold Weather Package wasn't available when I got my car. I couldn't even order Parking Sensors because those weren't even available then!

Having said that, I've had cars with the heaters under the glass. Loaner Model S's and a couple of Dodge Caravans we used to own. They only work when the wipers are parked. When you are driving in snowy, icy, slushy conditions and need the wipers on, they eventually get clogged with ice and turn into popsicles. I thought actually heating the arm/blade made a lot of sense.

Since the car knows the outside temperature, it should automatically turn on heated mirrors for a short period on startup if outside less than 5 degrees in addition to if the rear defrost button is pressed. To not have it come on automatically is an Oversight.

Since the car knows the outside temperature, it should automatically turn on heated mirrors for a short period on startup if outside less than 5 degrees in addition to if the rear defrost button is pressed. To not have it come on automatically is an Oversight.
Not just temperature, but AP hardware is looking for moisture on the windshield for the auto wipers.. If there was moisture before or after parking and it's now below freezing, activate. Should be similar for side mirrors, to evaporate water droplets.

Then again, the auto wipe algorithm sucks, so my confidence of them getting that right is very very low. Given that we know Tesla requires engineers to move to CA, I don't think this is changing anytime soon.

Have I just been using totally different cars than y'all? I've owned seven cars with heated mirrors before my P85, and of those six of them used the rear defogger switch to turn on the heated mirrors. It really isn't that weird of a design decision.

BTW: found this thread because my DS said the mirrors were not heated. I'm glad to know they are!

Reactions: Dax279
Have I just been using totally different cars than y'all? I've owned seven cars with heated mirrors before my P85, and of those six of them used the rear defogger switch to turn on the heated mirrors. It really isn't that weird of a design decision.

BTW: found this thread because my DS said the mirrors were not heated. I'm glad to know they are!
... and replying to myself because, yeah, right in the window sticker it says the mirrors are heated.

I see you found the answer to your question, but I would point out for other members that heated mirrors were not always standard. When I got my car in early 2013, the heated mirrors were part of a package. Tesla has done quite a bit of tweaking to packages over the years, and they may in fact be standard on all cars now, but they weren't always.

Reactions: DarkMatter
Very good point. Once the folding mirrors were standard I believe all cars had heated mirrors, as all the CPOs with folding mirrors also say they are heated on the Tesla site, or at least all the ones I can find now.

Yeah, that's what I mean about things changing! When I bought, heated mirrors were an option, and power folding wasn't even available. I remember when the power folding feature was an extra-cost option... is that standard now too?

Power folding seems to have been standard from some point in early 2014, though since it wasn't a key feature to me I didn't research exactly when. I'm surprised I couldn't find any archive of price changes in the design studio.
Someone on the forums keeps a wiki (or some sort of table/database) of all the changes. I can't remember who...