Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do We Have Useable Backup Sensors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bumped bumpers in parking lot while backing up....I didn't hear any beeps going off at all...yet we have those radar dots/sensors on our rear bumpers...why are they there if it doesn't do anything?...all my previous cars had the radar beeps if it detects anything behind you while you back up.

My rear camera appears to be working fine though.

Mine complains constantly about all 4 sides.. perhaps as mentioned your volume is too low? But I also have STOP showing up and the picture of the car has red half circles and such all around it.. for our tight garage, it's a bit of overkill
You can, in the car's settings, configure the clearance tolerance for the sonar. By default it prefers a nice wide clearance, but you can tighten it up quite a bit.

Said sensors are sonar and create a cone of detection. Anything too close and above or below or between the sensors will not be detected. That being said, the camera would show everything very clearly, right to the bumper. So I dunno. Might be the foreshortening caused by the fisheye lens. Objects in camera are closer than they appear. It would be spiff if there was a ranger overlay as well as just the travel path overlay on the backing camera.

So I bumped bumpers in parking lot while backing up....I didn't hear any beeps going off at all...yet we have those radar dots/sensors on our rear bumpers...why are they there if it doesn't do anything?...all my previous cars had the radar beeps if it detects anything behind you while you back up.

My rear camera appears to be working fine though.

I can confirm that the same thing happened to me. My parking sensors are on and loud enough, and I usually hear a lot of beeps pulling into my garage, but one time, it didn't seem to "see" a car behind me, neither my passenger nor I heard any beeps, and I bumped into it. I now know not to trust it completely.

I can confirm that the same thing happened to me. My parking sensors are on and loud enough, and I usually hear a lot of beeps pulling into my garage, but one time, it didn't seem to "see" a car behind me, neither my passenger nor I heard any beeps, and I bumped into it. I now know not to trust it completely.
It cannot be stated enough that no matter how many bells and whistles we have at our disposal, nothing at our current level of technology will replace a Mk I Eyeball. For now.

Like the rest of the system (notice how the "cars going by" on the screen in V10 show up after the vehicle has gone by), there are a few laggy bits to the car currently. The ultrasonics responsible for the parking beeps are a little slow going through the system, perhaps just to make sure something is actually there first. The result is that things can sneak up on you sometimes with no warning before impact.

It's also possible you had it muted, can you check if it currently is? Impossible to know if it was muted at the time though.

That would be "Mk. I, Augmented".

I was thinking "Mk. I, Refurbished"