Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we know how to schedule time of day charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an S (2013) and an X (2016). We are on time of use charging and it is simple. Lowest rates are 10pm-6am. On the touch screen we set the X to start at 10;15 and the S at 2:15. We have two NEMA 14-50 50 amp circuits and set the charging rate at 35 amps. We have never had a problem. The local utility sends us a message with our utility bill about how much we save with "time of use". It adds up and is significant. We tend to start the dishwasher in the evening and tend not to wash clothes at the high rate ( noon-6 pm). We set the time and charge rate on the touch screen -have never looked at the manual. Easy to do-give it a go. rick

A somewhat relevant question, has anyone switched over to a time of day electric rates? I have been looking into this and trying to understand it. When I first read the language on the NV Energy website (Nevada) it said:

"It allows customer to pay a discounted rate if they charge the vehicle during the utility’s off-peak hours between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. As an added benefit, the discounted rate applies to all of the energy used at a home or apartment during that period of time, not just electricity used to charge an electric vehicle."

I took this to mean maybe there was a meters plug in the garage or something, or you got the benefit just from those times. But I think it means your entire house is on this new payment plan. Right now it costs $0.12/kw, and I am not sure if it would be worth it to switch. I have no problem setting the schedule of the car to charge from 7 or 10 pm on, but obviously 1:00pm to 7:00pm is the main electricity usages in the house and although that's only for four summer months, I feel like the increase to $0.36 during that time would kill me on AC costs and negate the savings I would get elsewhere. It does sound good to have 8 months at $0.04/kw, but the summer in Vegas is really where all your AC costs are. Thoughts for anyone who has tried one of these plans?

View attachment 242743
Hot water heaters use lots of electricity. Anyone on a time of day rate plan should invest in a hot water heater timer (called Little Gray Box at Lowes). Mine is only on from 5am-7am. That is all the hot water needed in summer months. Also, AC is programmed to run from noon to 2pm. Then sets to 80 degrees until 7pm. Tesla is programmed to start charging at 11pm. My electric bills are less this summer than last and last year I did not gave Tesla.

We have an S (2013) and an X (2016). We are on time of use charging and it is simple. Lowest rates are 10pm-6am. On the touch screen we set the X to start at 10;15 and the S at 2:15. We have two NEMA 14-50 50 amp circuits and set the charging rate at 35 amps. We have never had a problem. The local utility sends us a message with our utility bill about how much we save with "time of use". It adds up and is significant. We tend to start the dishwasher in the evening and tend not to wash clothes at the high rate ( noon-6 pm). We set the time and charge rate on the touch screen -have never looked at the manual. Easy to do-give it a go. rick
How does your utility company know what you are saving? How do they know when you "would have" been charging?

Hot water heaters use lots of electricity. Anyone on a time of day rate plan should invest in a hot water heater timer (called Little Gray Box at Lowes). Mine is only on from 5am-7am. That is all the hot water needed in summer months. Also, AC is programmed to run from noon to 2pm. Then sets to 80 degrees until 7pm. Tesla is programmed to start charging at 11pm. My electric bills are less this summer than last and last year I did not gave Tesla.
I have a device that reads the utility companies rates and I can adjust the unit to only allow electricity through it if the price of electricity is below what I set it to. For instance, I can set it to "don't allow electricity through you unless the price for electricity is below 5 cents per kWh. " ComEd supplied one unit and Smarthome ( Insteon ) has the other version I can use.

I don't have to use it because of solar, however it was great before I installed solar. .

My 2012 P85 came with printed manual. A couple of years ago, there was a software update that offered easy access to manual on the car's screen. I doubt Tesla will revert to paper. Features change too often. They may have printed some for RCs and for pony rides, but I suspect production cars will include quick guide on paper and electronic full manual

This is complicated for me as well. I Will be offered like 6 plans total, a couple regular, 3 solar TOU, and and ev TOU. We have a 6 or 6.5 (I don't remember but I know we got ripped off a bit and it ended up significantly under what we were promised) KW solar setup to keep our power bill down, but I pay $240 a month towards that solar loan, and the rest of the year averages out to about an additional $116 a month. So currently I pay about $356 a month for power. It almost makes me think about just getting an ICE car because I might pay more for electric than gas (but I'm not sure). And yes we have all fluorescent and LED bulbs etc, and heat our house with a wood burning stove, I don't think there is anything else we can do to cut back our usage other than maybe get a propane water heater?

Part of the problem is the house has no Natural gas so everything is run off electric.

To put this thread back on track, in the latest software for Model 3, Scheduled Charging is not enabled. It charges when you plug in, period.

Hope that'll change soon - I don't want to have to stay up late or get up extra early to save a few bucks - I'm on a TOU EV plan with PGE.

Not ideal, but if the 3 has support for the API, it might be possible to set charging time with something like teslafi.com

If the api works -
- set a start charging time in teslafi
- every time you should lug in, immediately stop charging.