Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we know how to schedule time of day charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen the options on how to set up the charging schedule overnight to take advantage of time of day electricity rates? I have done several searches but have not seen a definitive answer for the 3
I'm sure the manual will tell you how to set it with the center screen.

cr473i6u445z.jpg

see that greyed out blue button...

Here's the same screen on the Model S for comparison
Tesla-Model-S-90D-%E2%80%93-The-All-Electric-Driving-Experience-MenStyleFashion-2017-5.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde and DR61
One of the nice things about the way this works is that your charge time settings are tied to a GPS location. When you plus into an unfamiliar charger, as when on the road, charging begins immediately, but when you return home it reverts to your preferred settings there. You can even set different charge schedules for multiple locations where your electric plans differ on when electricity is the cheapest.

A somewhat relevant question, has anyone switched over to a time of day electric rates? I have been looking into this and trying to understand it. When I first read the language on the NV Energy website (Nevada) it said:

"It allows customer to pay a discounted rate if they charge the vehicle during the utility’s off-peak hours between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. As an added benefit, the discounted rate applies to all of the energy used at a home or apartment during that period of time, not just electricity used to charge an electric vehicle."

I took this to mean maybe there was a meters plug in the garage or something, or you got the benefit just from those times. But I think it means your entire house is on this new payment plan. Right now it costs $0.12/kw, and I am not sure if it would be worth it to switch. I have no problem setting the schedule of the car to charge from 7 or 10 pm on, but obviously 1:00pm to 7:00pm is the main electricity usages in the house and although that's only for four summer months, I feel like the increase to $0.36 during that time would kill me on AC costs and negate the savings I would get elsewhere. It does sound good to have 8 months at $0.04/kw, but the summer in Vegas is really where all your AC costs are. Thoughts for anyone who has tried one of these plans?

nvenergy.PNG

I'm sure the manual will tell you how to set it with the center screen.

cr473i6u445z.jpg

see that greyed out blue button...

Here's the same screen on the Model S for comparison
Tesla-Model-S-90D-%E2%80%93-The-All-Electric-Driving-Experience-MenStyleFashion-2017-5.jpg
The manual will tell us? Absolutely it will, however - won't figuring it out without a manual be totally exhilarating? I know I'm looking forward to never using the manual.

I'm going to zip lock my manual in a bag and putting it in my safety deposit box for antique purposes. LOL.

A somewhat relevant question, has anyone switched over to a time of day electric rates? I have been looking into this and trying to understand it. When I first read the language on the NV Energy website (Nevada) it said:

"It allows customer to pay a discounted rate if they charge the vehicle during the utility’s off-peak hours between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. As an added benefit, the discounted rate applies to all of the energy used at a home or apartment during that period of time, not just electricity used to charge an electric vehicle."

I took this to mean maybe there was a meters plug in the garage or something, or you got the benefit just from those times. But I think it means your entire house is on this new payment plan. Right now it costs $0.12/kw, and I am not sure if it would be worth it to switch. I have no problem setting the schedule of the car to charge from 7 or 10 pm on, but obviously 1:00pm to 7:00pm is the main electricity usages in the house and although that's only for four summer months, I feel like the increase to $0.36 during that time would kill me on AC costs and negate the savings I would get elsewhere. It does sound good to have 8 months at $0.04/kw, but the summer in Vegas is really where all your AC costs are. Thoughts for anyone who has tried one of these plans?

View attachment 242743
I have used ComEd's hourly rate program since it's inception....even though I don't need it. I also have adapters that will only allow a device to turn on if ComEd's power is selling for.....lets say......two cents or less per kWh. You can also look at the price of electricity tomorrow / per hour.

Below is a chart indicating what my costs of electricity per month would have been.

comed.png

View attachment 242743

If you already have a smart meter and your electricity company allows you to download your hourly data, that's the best way to calculate it. Here, we can download our hourly usage into an excel file. When I was considering TOU, I then used that data to see how much electricity I was using during peak rates.

Also, if no one is home during the day, you can set your thermostat higher while you are gone.

Has anyone seen the options on how to set up the charging schedule overnight to take advantage of time of day electricity rates? I have done several searches but have not seen a definitive answer for the 3

The screenshots suggest that the current 3 firmware has the same single option for setting a delayed start time that the S and X have.

This is one of the few areas that Tesla is behind the competition, and I'm hoping they'll make a major update for it soon.

By comparison, the Bolt will let you set a time to start charging or a time to finish charging (departure time,) and program in when your rates change.

With the rates programmed in, you can choose to charge only at the lowest rates (even if you won't finish the charge that night,) or to get a full charge and it'll try to keep the overall cost as low as it can.

The Bolt even added a new option to charge tho 40% immediately on plugging in before switching to your delayed program so you have some range for unexpected needs.

With the always live internet connection and OTA updates, Tesla should be able to do all of this and go one better - you tell them your provider and option, and they download your rate schedule - including real time pricing predictions where applicable.

In the longer term I expect to see flexible charging deals with the utilities, too - for a reduced price you let them use the internet to tell your car exactly when during the night it charges, and they promise to finish your charge before you leave every morning.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sousagil90D
The screenshots suggest that the current 3 firmware has the same single option for setting a delayed start time that the S and X have.

This is one of the few areas that Tesla is behind the competition, and I'm hoping they'll make a major update for it soon.

By comparison, the Bolt will let you set a time to start charging or a time to finish charging (departure time,) and program in when your rates change.

With the rates programmed in, you can choose to charge only at the lowest rates (even if you won't finish the charge that night,) or to get a full charge and it'll try to keep the overall cost as low as it can.

The Bolt even added a new option to charge tho 40% immediately on plugging in before switching to your delayed program so you have some range for unexpected needs.

With the always live internet connection and OTA updates, Tesla should be able to do all of this and go one better - you tell them your provider and option, and they download your rate schedule - including real time pricing predictions where applicable.

In the longer term I expect to see flexible charging deals with the utilities, too - for a reduced price you let them use the internet to tell your car exactly when during the night it charges, and they promise to finish your charge before you leave every morning.
As with some of the latest twitter requests, I would think this is also a low priority because it works now just fine.

My eGolf has all those options you describe for Bolt. My P85 has only start time. I far, far prefer Tesla approach. On 32 amps or higher, the car will finish charging in the lowest cost window 99% of time. Set it and forget it. On the golf, on other hand, it is too easy to make a special setting, forget you did, and find yourself under or over charged.

I have TOU in California and my bill is half what it was before I switched. However I do not have air conditioning. So I cannot comment on vegas.

My eGolf has all those options you describe for Bolt. My P85 has only start time. I far, far prefer Tesla approach. On 32 amps or higher, the car will finish charging in the lowest cost window 99% of time. Set it and forget it. On the golf, on other hand, it is too easy to make a special setting, forget you did, and find yourself under or over charged.

I have TOU in California and my bill is half what it was before I switched. However I do not have air conditioning. So I cannot comment on vegas.

Having a charge for departure time option at least would be really nice, on those cold winter mornings - that would give the warmest possible pack and thus less of the cold pack annoyances.

If you already have a smart meter and your electricity company allows you to download your hourly data, that's the best way to calculate it. Here, we can download our hourly usage into an excel file. When I was considering TOU, I then used that data to see how much electricity I was using during peak rates.

Also, if no one is home during the day, you can set your thermostat higher while you are gone.

Got usage data for June, July, and August of 2016, threw it in excel, threw a bunch of formulas at it, and I get:

June:
Old: $128.28
EV Rate: $207.63
61% Increase - $79

July:
Old - $101.23
EV Rate - $138.45
38% Increase - $37

August:
Old: $211.41
EV Rate: $342.73
62% Increase - $131

Waiting on their data dump for some of the 8 off-peak months and I will compare. Its $0.04 across the board for those 8 months but I am not sure if they are going to equal out for the high peak prices of the 4 months. Also this is just based on last years usage, no EV and just using AC etc normally. In Vegas when its 110 its a little harder to say "Well I just won't use a lot of AC between 1 and 7 lol. My wife would not appreciate that.

Got usage data for June, July, and August of 2016, threw it in excel, threw a bunch of formulas at it, and I get:

June:
Old: $128.28
EV Rate: $207.63
61% Increase - $79

July:
Old - $101.23
EV Rate - $138.45
38% Increase - $37

August:
Old: $211.41
EV Rate: $342.73
62% Increase - $131

Waiting on their data dump for some of the 8 off-peak months and I will compare. Its $0.04 across the board for those 8 months but I am not sure if they are going to equal out for the high peak prices of the 4 months. Also this is just based on last years usage, no EV and just using AC etc normally. In Vegas when its 110 its a little harder to say "Well I just won't use a lot of AC between 1 and 7 lol. My wife would not appreciate that.

Looks like your electrical company is ripping you off for an EV rate. I'd tell them, "Thanks for letting me try it out, now put me back on my old plan." Just because you have an EV doesn't mean you HAVE to get the EV electrical rate.

In Arizona during June, July, and August, I'm not sure and EV is going to raise my electric bill as much as the 100-118 outside temps are.

Looks like your electrical company is ripping you off for an EV rate. I'd tell them, "Thanks for letting me try it out, now put me back on my old plan." Just because you have an EV doesn't mean you HAVE to get the EV electrical rate.

In Arizona during June, July, and August, I'm not sure and EV is going to raise my electric bill as much as the 100-118 outside temps are.

Yeah I know it doesn't mean I HAVE to get the EV rate, I just came across that they offered it and wanted to check it out. And it might just be me, but check below at this extremely misleading EV Rate page. Yeah looks like I won't be switching over. What is interesting is I found their old/current "Time of Use" rates and its the exact same thing. They just basically rebranded it for people with Electric Vehicles. The $0.36 in Las Vegas from 1pm to 7pm just kills you. They know where we live right? lol

tesla infog.png

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy