Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do we know which group gets their Model 3 next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we have any conclusive evidence of who's next?
  1. Tesla Employees
  2. SpaceX employees
  3. Owners in California who were day 1 reserves
  4. Owners outside California who were day 1 reserves
  5. ?
Is the next group non-owner day 1 reserves OR owner non-day 1 reserves??
My guess: both groups (so non-owner day1 AND owner non-day1)

Why? Because Tesla needs both groups. The owners because they stimulate model S/X sales and day 1 reserves because they stimulate reservations for future model introductions (Y). Both are important for their business.:)

#4 seems to be broken into multiple groups. I'm in #4 and have not received an invite yet.

Address is in AZ, but we're seeing reports of invites along the East and West Coast, but not many interior states (perhaps TX)...

My bet is that they will invite all owners before any non-owners. The invitations will be roughly in order of reservation, grouped by geographic region which are ranked in order of delivery efficiency. Consequently areas with high concentrations of current owners will receive invitations first. Nothing against mid-country (I grew up there), but most of these areas seem to be on the coasts.

#1 and #2 have already been invited to configure so there shouldn't be anymore invites going out. Any of that group that hasn't configured yet is just waiting on an option that isn't available yet.
I would place my money on a combination of #3 and #4, I think there are still a number of early reservation owners that have not been invited yet both in CA and elsewhere, they'll probably continue to invite them and scatter the invites across the country so they don't overload any set of delivery centers. I'm thinking the first non-owner invites will be later this month.

1. Tesla Employees (July)
  2. SpaceX employees (Aug-Oct)
    1. In store (November)
    2. Online (December)
  4. Owners outside California who were day 1 reserves (January) - No reservation location preference, mostly east and west coast with very few in central states (none in Texas)
My guess is the next group will be California owners with reservations after 3/31 starting in February.
Tesla starts with their priority list but will not wait for one group to complete before adding the next group. So there will be significant overlap.

you forgot (CA) owners who were not day one, have already configured.

They did? I thought I saw posts on the other thread "CA owners, have you...blah blah" that some of the day 2 CA owners still have not received configuration emails. Based on that thread poll that CA owners stuck at 57% Yes for a while now.. I am guessing all day 1 CA owners are done but post day 1 has not started yet.

I think the next group could be non-owner CA day 1, just because my coworker is one of them. I kind of joke with him that if I order one now, since I am CA owner, I will get ahead of him. :p

i got my email last friday. the configurator says 4 weeks for delivery if i order today. As i bought an S instead i guess i will be canceling it as my wife will not let go of her big SUV for such a small car. (She has a newer Range Rover) Im based in Atlanta GA with a day one reservation and I'm a "Legacy owner" as i already have a Tesla...
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 12.20.29 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and rsbell
Is the actual production number per week for the Model 3 being reported anywhere? Would be nice to see ramp up of production, or still bottle-neck???

I am Sept 2016 online order for Model 3, purchased new Model S 75D in May 2017. My delivery estimator still shows Nov 2017 - Jan 2018.

Do we have any conclusive evidence of who's next?
  1. Tesla Employees
  2. SpaceX employees
  5. ?
  6. Profit
Is the next group non-owner day 1 reserves OR owner non-day 1 reserves??

I think that's the next one anyway. :p

Alternatively...

1. Tesla Employees
  2. SpaceX employees
  5. Owners living in ZEV states where there's the best market for credits

Reactions: DavidP