TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do we need a Tesla "Snuggie"?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Chrisizzle, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Chrisizzle

Chrisizzle Member

As I embark on my -20C drive from Woodstock Ontario to Maumee Ohio, I am prepared to drive without heat to cover the distance.

I have a hat, gloves and scarf but, it occurs to me jackets are counter productive. They only open from the front while insulating your back from the efficient seat heater.

I thought a reverse jacket would be ideal and realized "Crap.... that's a Snuggie?" Imagine containing all that seat heat while having full use of your arms. Fantastic!

If only they weren't an embarrassment.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

3. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

My fiancée has been planning to make a Tesla fleece quilt to go in the car. We've bought material and she printed out the logo to make patterns. Not sure how far she's come along but I could probably get her to post pictures if people are interested. Not a snuggie but this thread reminded me of it.

4. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

What color will it be? And will that color match the exterior color of your car???

5. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I really can't post anywhere without this popping up... :rolleyes:

6. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

LOL - not right at the moment but it will die down soon I'm sure.... :)

7. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Can't tell if you're joking or not...are you really willing to freeze yourself to take the T? Take the ICE. It's not a contest.

8. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

It isn't a contest. It's a sport!

I have a very nice Tesla fleece lined blanket. The dog uses it the most. He won't wear a jacket.

9. tga

tga Active Member

Motorcyclists have lots of 12V heated gear (gloves, jackets/vests, boots) available. A heated vest might work well.

10. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

He's not willing to freeze himself. If he was, he wouldn't be asking about the best ways to keep warm.

I've read many threads like this one over at the Leaf forums. It's amazing some of the 12volt contraptions people make to defrost the windows without using the main heater/fans.

11. Chrisizzle

Chrisizzle Member

Eye.Surgeon. I am all in with my Tesla. I can only afford one $90,000 car. lulz.

TGA. Thanks for the info on the heated vest. I will look into it. I hope driving like this won't happen often enough to warrant a dedicated, electrified, cold weather driving suit.

12. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

I freeze often in my plugin Prius because the gas engine runs to generate cabin heat. For short trips no matter the temp, I crack the windows so the windshield doesn't frost up too badly which doesn't help either.

13. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Um, just put on your coat backwards. That's what I did on my trip to Charlotte. Granted it was only 34°, but it kept the front of me and my arms warm while the seat heater took care of the back.

14. invisik

invisik Member

We needed one on Saturday..... -2% to our destination in 10F weather... ugh!

Can't Tesla put heating elements (like that are in the heated seats) in the floor and door panels to add "ambient heat" if you will...? There needs to be some low-energy way to get supplemental heat with the climate control off. Kinda like in-floor heating in a house.

-m

15. a0128

a0128 Member

Wait a minute. You bought a $100K car and have to drive WITHOUT HEAT in order to make it to your destination??!!?

I find that horribly absurd.

16. 1208

1208 Active Member

17. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

He's not willing to drive without heat. He's trying to figure out how to keep warm using the least energy possible. He's turning on the seat heater and using other means to keep warm. There's nothing "horribly absurd" about it. He's a pioneer, just like when we went from horse and buggy to motors. But this is even more noble since it's the co2 producing, global warming contributing, very warm, gas guzzlers that should be called "horribly absurd" and something tells me if generations from now people could look back at this post there would be nothing aburd about it.

18. GSP

GSP Member

Seat heaters plus heated gloves work great for me in the Volt. I am very comfortable. I bought a 12 V heated blanket for my wife to use as a passenger. She is very confortable as well. No need to use the emergency backup gasoline generator at all.

Amazon has 12 V heated blankets for only about $25. Just buy one and try it.

GSP

19. Atebit

Atebit Member

Well, unless you can convince Joe Sixpack of the virtues to bundling up & plugging yourself in to drive your EV in the winter, "future generations" are liable to still be driving ICE's. Also, let's not forget Joe's family as they trundle up I-95 to visit the family for the holidays. You'll need lots of 12V outlets for them, too.