TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do we think supercharging will remain free for Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by disillusioned, Apr 3, 2016.

?

Will supercharging stay free for Model 3?

This poll will close on Aug 16, 2017 at 10:10 PM.
  1. Yes, forever

2. Yes, but only for a certain period of time

3. No, they'll have to pay out of the gate

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. disillusioned

disillusioned Member

I'm really curious if supercharging stays free for the Model 3. If you ask me, this is one of the most likely, easiest places to differentiate the models. Elon explained in the keynote that all M3s will come with supercharging enabled, but there wasn't a commitment that it would be free for life like the Model S & X have.

With the volume of cars were talking about here, even with a significant increase in SC capacity (much of which is being added by adding more locations, not by expanding existing locations), I can see there needing to be a cost component to supercharging to 1) defend against people using it for their daily commute, and 2) keep supply and demand in check.

It also seems like it'd be relatively easy to establish a payment system through the car itself: you set your payment method through My Tesla, and then you can confirm the charges on the car or the app when you plug in. It could even reconcile monthly. They don't need to add payment stations or infrastructure at the locations, because they could do it all on the car's software. Even in the absence of a cellular signal (which would shock me, since I believe all SC stations have their own telemetry uplinks over cellular), the car could approve and batch charges.

So what do you think?

2. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

I'm expecting it will be similar to the S and X, a $2,000 or so up-front option (or activation). So when they say supercharging is "free" it really means "unlimited use."

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

4. JoRey

JoRey Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner

As Mr.Musk stated all Model III come with supercharger access. What remains to be seen if it is a pay per use or built into the price of the car. My vote is on pay per use, it is probably cheaper and cost effective to make all the cars the same way.

5. disillusioned

disillusioned Member

Ah, yep, didn't see that one. Thanks for the heads up.