Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Do] Wheel Spacers Void Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All! Despite my researching over days on this forum and online I can’t find any direct confirmation from Tesla that wheel spacers void any warranty. Can anyone please provide some kind of genuine confirmation that it does or does not? Thank you for your help!

I would think the wheel and the wheel bearing assembly might not be covered by warranty. Wasn't designed for the new load. Maybe even brake rotors etc. Anything affected by the modification is yours. Who knows, they could claim a drive motor failed due to the non-OEM equipment. Good luck arguing with Tesla!

Reactions: MP3Mike
If the spacers damage the car then of course Tesla is going to charge you for the repair. Why wouldn't they?
If the spacers don't damage the car then of course Tesla will warranty anything that breaks. Why would they care what stuff you bolted on? It's your car.

If you don't know whether or not the spacers will damage the car, you probably shouldn't buy spacers.

(moderator note)

Thread title change from "Wheel spacers voided warranty", which makes it appear as if the thread will be some sort of confirmation of this happening as the usage is past tense, to current thread title, which shows that the OP is actually asking a question, not making a statement.

Reactions: tm1v2
I would think the wheel and the wheel bearing assembly might not be covered by warranty. Wasn't designed for the new load. Maybe even brake rotors etc. Anything affected by the modification is yours. Who knows, they could claim a drive motor failed due to the non-OEM equipment. Good luck arguing with Tesla!
Correct. By adding spacers, you are modifying the intended design. Without a scientific study proving your changes do not affect the vehicle, you are in trouble.

Reactions: Red Ryder 3
Thanks for everyone chiming in. I want to clarify that if you have definitive feedback on whether or not you know spacers void the warranty or have feedback that Tesla has not done anything about them despite seeing them on your car, then that is really what is helpful.

12k miles on my Blox spacers (15mm front, 20mm rear). Rides fine, looks great.

I recently had Tesla Service do the front upper control arm sealant service/service bulletin on my car, along with a parking brake inspection + alignment, and am sure they saw my spacers. No complaints from them.

Reactions: enemji
In the USA there is a law which prevents warranties from being voided due to modifications unless it can be shown that the modification caused the problem. In practical terms though, many dealerships will just assume the modification caused the problem if there is any plausible story they could tell. So yeah if you had a brake problem and had spacers they might refuse to work on it. A motor problem? Maybe, maybe not! If they do, you would have to lawyer up to deal with it, and you might lose.

But spacers *do* put more load on your wheel bearings, so if those went, they would be right to not honor the warranty.

In the USA there is a law which prevents warranties from being voided due to modifications unless it can be shown that the modification caused the problem. In practical terms though, many dealerships will just assume the modification caused the problem if there is any plausible story they could tell. So yeah if you had a brake problem and had spacers they might refuse to work on it. A motor problem? Maybe, maybe not! If they do, you would have to lawyer up to deal with it, and you might lose.

But spacers *do* put more load on your wheel bearings, so if those went, they would be right to not honor the warranty.
The law you are referring to is for using aftermarket non-oem parts, not modifications to the vehicle. In other words, tour warranty cannot be voided because you used Mobil1 oil when the r manufacturer recommended to use Motorcraft oil. As long as the oil meets the spec, they cannot force you to use only certain manufacturers & brand names.

The law is called the

Magnuson Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvements Act​

The law you are referring to is for using aftermarket non-oem parts, not modifications to the vehicle. In other words, tour warranty cannot be voided because you used Mobil1 oil when the r manufacturer recommended to use Motorcraft oil. As long as the oil meets the spec, they cannot force you to use only certain manufacturers & brand names.

The law is called the

Magnuson Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvements Act​

And people always assign more power to magnuson moss than it has, or assume the reach is farther than it is. In general, magnuson moss protects people from having the entire car warranty voided because of unrelated parts, and also protects in the situation you said, where an aftermarket part is built to the SAME SPECIFICATIONS as the OEM part, it can be substituted in.

So, A manufacturer cant make you have to buy a specific air filter / oil filter brand (from them, for example), if there is an aftermarket part that meets the SAME SPECIFICATIONS.

It also protects one in the case of (for example) of installing an aftermarket seat, and then having an issue with your engine.

When people discuss "void the warranty" many of them make it sound like the entire car warranty will be voided, which isnt usually the case.

In THIS specific case, if one installs spacers on a vehicle, then there is a warranty problem that has anything to do with suspension, ride, etc, tesla "could" state that the spacers are the issue and refuse to cover it. Doesnt mean they will, it means they could, so there will be NO "definitive" on this, regardless of OP looking for such.

Magnuson Moss would not protect anyone in this specific case, either, as modification of suspension from OEM is grounds for a manufacturer to not warranty said suspension, however, if one then had a claim about their touchscreen, or seats, or anything not related to suspension parts, that warranty would not be impacted by aftermarket suspension modification.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swoop and enemji

Very helpful and thank you for the time writing that up. I see “wheel bearings” come up frequently when this topic comes up for other car brands. If the wheel bearings fail, one would only be on the hook to replace them only and not another part covered by warranty, correct? In other words, the warranty would remain in tact for other parts of the vehicle?

And people always assign more power to magnuson moss than it has, or assume the reach is farther than it is. In general, magnuson moss protects people from having the entire car warranty voided because of unrelated parts, and also protects in the situation you said, where an aftermarket part is built to the SAME SPECIFICATIONS as the OEM part, it can be substituted in.

So, A manufacturer cant see you have to buy a specific air filter / oil filter brand (from them, for example), if there is an aftermarket part that meats the SAME SPECIFICATIONS.

It also protects one in the case of (for example) of installing an aftermarket seat, and then having an issue with your engine.

When people discuss "void the warranty" many of them make it sound like the entire car warranty will be voided, which isnt usually the case.

In THIS specific case, if one installs spacers on a vehicle, then there is a warranty problem that has anything to do with suspension, ride, etc, tesla "could" state that the spacers are the issue and refuse to cover it. Doesnt mean they will, it means they could, so there will be NO "definitive" on this, regardless of OP looking for such.

Magnuson Moss would not protect anyone in this specific case, either, as modification of suspension from OEM is grounds for a manufacturer to not warranty said suspension, however, if one then had a claim about their touchscreen, or seats, or anything not related to suspension parts, that warranty would not be impacted by aftermarket suspension modification.
Very helpful and does put some finality to this, so appreciate it immensely. You are right that I was looking for something explicit and I don’t believe that exists. I did however have a service center confirm that spacers “should not” cause a problem but it’s helpful to have that extra assurance along with others who have stated no issues after “X” period of time and/or “X” number of service visits. Thankful to all for your help and contributions to this post.